Healthiest way to prepare chicken?

I assume baked in the oven, with no oil or added salt. Post your favorite chicken recipes below. Starting my journey today :)

Replies

• arsoria24
    arsoria24 Posts: 110 Member
    I usually bake or grill my chicken. I think baking it is healthier though. I use different types of seasoning each time to avoid getting bored eating it lol.
  • Nerys52
    Nerys52 Posts: 86 Member
    1 fresh chicken. Rinse inside cavity and outside.Remove any visible fatty bits.Then place in roasting tin or pyrex.

Your poultry seasoning of choice.
    Or fresh milled white and/or black pepper, some sea salt and paprika powder mixed in small dish.
    1/2 fresh lemon and 1/2 fresh orange, or if you want sweeter chicken replace orange with 1 mandarin in 2 halves.
    Add citrus to chicken and add spices inside and out.
    Roast in a preheated oven 200Celsius until done ( no pink meat) and golden brown. My oven approx 55 minutes.

• echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    What do you mean by “healthy”?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I bake mine and on top of it I put some hummus - gets a nice crust and is juicy
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    I bake it and pour a little low sodium chicken broth on it. Italian seasoning and pepper. Cover with tin foil. Bake for about 30-35 min at 390. When I warm the chicken up I also pour a little low sodium chicken broth in the Tupperware container and cover with wet paper towel. It stays tender. I eat a ton of chicken and usually bake 3 or 4 breasts at a time
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I grill boneless skinless chicken breasts on my George Foreman grill. Seasoning and/or marinade of your choice. Quick & easy. Yesterday I spread about a teaspoon of unrefined coconut oil (I like the slight coconut flavor of unrefined) on both sides. Seasoned with flake salt, fresh ground pepper and a little smoked paprika. So good!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    I think healthy means different things to different people so there really isn't THE HEALTHIEST CHICKEN RECIPE.
    For me healthy food is food that meets my nutritional needs. I don't have a medical reason to eat a very low sodium diet.
    I don't avoid fat either but am not frying chicken every day either.

A simple grilled or baked chicken breast or thigh- I might season with salt, pepper, garlic, oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary or lemon pepper seasoning.

Some people put chicken in a slow cooker with just salsa.

I am having tandoori style chicken tonight. https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/tandoori-style-chicken-83276
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    I grill mine over charcoal and throw a few hickory chips on the coals to get a delicious smoky flavor.
    Legs are coated in a thin glaze of BBQ sauce and breasts are marinated in Dale's sauce.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited May 2019
    I think "healthy" in this context basically means "low calorie". I just stopped asking what people mean by healthy because more often than not, they mean lower in calories. Chicken is nutritious by definition, so there is no healthy or unhealthy way of eating it unless we are talking about calories and it actually means "easy to fit into the diet" vs "hard to fit into a diet".
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    I think "healthy" in this context basically means "low calorie". I just stopped asking what people mean by healthy because more often than not, they mean lower in calories. Chicken is nutritious by definition, so there is no healthy or unhealthy way of eating it unless we are talking about calories and it actually means "easy to fit into the diet" vs "hard to fit into a diet".

You're right, of course, @amusedmonkey. When posters, especially new posters, ask about "healthy", they almost always mean "lowest calorie". Although occasionally they are looking for ways to add micronutrients.

That said, I think there's value in asking the question "What do you mean by 'healthy'?" It may help the poster reflect on their goals and strategies, and realize that "lowest calorie" doesn't necessarily mean "healthiest".
  • Nerys52
    I have been cooking in my household since 1981. And learned to cook age early teens. I have always rinsed chicken in cold water. And no my kitchen is not contaminated. After putting chicken in oven I clean all surfaces,the sink and kitchen tap, cutting board etc with disinfectant with hot water and after that again once more with hot soapy/dishwash liquid mixed with hot water.
    Never had food poisoning in nearing 39 years homecooking daily.

I know new advice is do not wash chicken to avoid spread of splatter water with bacteria and for most is good advice. And most people are too short on time too, for how I do it.
    But I do old school method. I clean disinfect the kitchen after any raw poultry and meats etc.Kitchen floormop daily.

I had thought of adding this bit in my original post. But maybe it would come accross as too much explaining/lecturing people as everyone has their method of doing things in their kitchen.

For generations our family , we rinse chickens in cold water. Is a quick rinse not a complete wash. I was not born yet but my mother as a child and her mother and grandmother had chickens was a small farm/home and used to do home slaughter and de-feather and wash the chicken to remove blood etc with cold water. Later when food was bought at a shop, the cold rinsed chicken remained.
  • Nerys52
    Chickens had much more taste back then my mother used to tell me years ago. same for fruits, veg etc. They had 1 cow for raw milk and butter. Was a totally different time.
  • kbmnurse1
    kbmnurse1 Posts: 316 Member
    Boneless chicken thighs in my black skillet with seasonings. Throw it in the oven 350 degrees. 20 min each side. So delicious. I use the leftovers for my salads during the week.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    you can do so much to chicken, healthy is in the eye of the beholder. I put chicken tenderloins into my airfryer covered in salt and pepper and then eat them with ketchup/mustard/bbq sauce, it fits my macros
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    The healthiest way to prepare chicken is the way you like to prepare it. Forcing yourself to eat subpar food makes you more likely to quit your diet, which isn't healthy. I personally like it stewed with vegetables. The fibers absorb the sauce which gives it extra flavor, not completely oil free (I like my sauce with a bit of fat) but it's alright on calories.

This.

I like it lots of different ways, and wouldn't choose just one way, which would be boring.

I often have a breast roasted with bones in, skin on. Not the lowest cal option (although I only eat a little of the skin, but a delicious and easy one that goes with lots of roasted veg and leaves me the breast to use in pasta or other dishes.

Stewed is good if I'm just doing boneless, skinless (breast or thigh) -- I like a tagine.

Cutting into pieces and sauteeing with veg in a bit of oil (or you can use non stick or spray) is nice for a stir fry.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Chicken from a local farm is still "chicken today."