Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Vegans: Why not vegetarianism?

stricklee11
stricklee11 Posts: 218 Member
Why did you choose to be vegan over being a vegetarian? Was it a gradual shift?

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Assuming a vegan eats that way for ethical reasons, it makes sense to not consume other animal products because of how the animals are typically treated.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Why did you choose to be vegan over being a vegetarian? Was it a gradual shift?

Veganism is an ethical choice that goes well beyond diet. Vegans do not consume or use animal products or products that are tested on animals, etc....no leather or wool...certain cosmetics are off limits, etc.

There have definitely been times when self-defined vegans defined "vegan" as not eating animal products and divorced that the idea that they also wouldn't buy things made of animal products (leather and what not). It wasn't especially long ago and I suspect there are multiple people who self identify that way. That's probably especially the case because the word vegetarian is typically used as shorthand for ovo-lacto vegetarian.

I suspect there are also plenty of people who eat vegan for reasons other than ethics, especially if we're not including religion an ethical reason (though I can see why one would include that). Of course there are also people who call themselves vegan who will wear wool but won't wear or buy leather, especially if they have a really good idea about the production both of wool generally and of the specific wool that they're wearing (ie they know how the animal(s) whose wool was shorn is being raised).
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Also dear god I need to proof read everything I post here. I try to remember to do so because when I don't it's just a joke. Somehow MFP breaks my ability to type in English in ways that no other website does (including ones I'm significantly more active on).
  • ChrisCatMama
    ChrisCatMama Posts: 1,038 Member
    I’m a vegetarian due to food allergies. I’m allergic to most animal products, including honey, beeswax, fish. I can tolerate eggs as long as they’re in something (like cake, etc). I am thinking of going all vegan though. I’ve always loved animals to the point of where I felt uncomfortable eating say, a hamburger. So I don’t mind not being able to eat meat. It’s just my allergies are so severe that the smell of bacon cooking in the microwave makes me horribly sick.
  • meganelisabeth
    meganelisabeth Posts: 2 Member
    Hey guys! Peaked my interest here, as I'm one of very very few vegans in my area (that I am aware of, at least). I had been vegetarian since 2007, and just made the shift a few months ago into veganism. It came down to the fact that I couldn't separate the dairy industry from animal agriculture as a whole (I had tried convincing myself otherwise for years..), and the overwhelming studies being done about the environmental impact of consuming animal products just made me sick. We try very hard to reduce our family's waste, by recycling everything that we possibly can, donating items no longer used (as opposed to throwing things away), composting, growing our own vegetables and herbs, etc. My step children and husband have followed suit over a year ago, making the choice on their own to live a vegetarian lifestyle as well. So that being said, it became much easier for me to make the decision to go Vegan, and I feel that I'm helping to be a better role model for the children too. My health has improved significantly as well, and I have lost a well needed 10lbs+ just from that change alone. Overall, I think there's so many reasons why people chose to be either a vegetarian or a vegan, and I tip my hat to anyone who makes the conscious effort on either side. Have a wonderful day, you guys! Cheers.