Thoughts on 40, 30, 30

Options
Hey guys I’m new to the community here and this is my first post, I just want to get your take on macros, My goal is to drop my body fat percentage and I’ve heard a 40, 30, 30 is good however I’m not wanting to lose muscle and it doesn’t seem I’ll be getting enough protein on that type of split. Thoughts??

Replies

• almostsuperpowered
    almostsuperpowered Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I don't have personal experience with this, but this site may be of help: https://healthyeater.com/how-to-calculate-your-macros
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,073 Member
    Options
    I would just use the default macros that MFP gives you. There is no macro split that contributes more significantly to weight loss. It's all about calories.

Personally, I make sure I meet my calorie and protein goal and let everything else fall where it does.

This ^

Macros are for satiety and adherence, calories are for weight loss.

Try the default ones and tweak as needed for your own personal preference.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    There is no macro split that contributes more significantly to weight loss. It's all about calories. .

Their concern was whether 40% protein is enough to prevent muscle loss. I'd say it is if 1) the calorie deficit is not large (around 500/day or less) and 2) you follow a good strength program.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    In order to help retain muscle, I would aim for 0.8-1g per lb goalweight of protein minimum, not sure what % that works out to be for your intake, and the rest of the macros you can adjust from there. (Also make sure you are lifting while you lose, a progressive program will be most optimal).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,645 Member
    Options
    Protein at 0.6-0.8g per pound of healthy goal weight (which approaches 2 x USDA/WHO minimums, and approximates 0.8-1g per pound of lean body mass) should be sufficient for best odds of muscle preservation alongside weight loss, accompanied by strength exercise. More won't hurt a healthy person.

https://examine.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-you-need/
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Hey guys I’m new to the community here and this is my first post, I just want to get your take on macros, My goal is to drop my body fat percentage and I’ve heard a 40, 30, 30 is good however I’m not wanting to lose muscle and it doesn’t seem I’ll be getting enough protein on that type of split. Thoughts??

Macros are personal preference, so you will want to see what works for you. None are inherently better for fat loss.

That said, I did 40-30-30 (typical 40-30-30 has the 40% for carbs), and found that I really liked it. With lower cals, the default 20% is a bit lower protein than I prefer, but 30% was fine, and I liked getting 30% fat. I mostly watched protein (and fiber), however, and if my fat was high and carbs were low or vv, I didn't get too bothered. But 40-30-30 felt like a pretty natural way for me to eat.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,073 Member
    Options
    40/30/30 split would be as follows for a 2000 calorie diet
    (example only: 5'10" 30 yr old male 185lbs with a goal weight of 160lbs set to lose 1lb per week):

40% Carbs (800 cals) - 200g (1g = 4 cals)
    30% Protein (600 cals) - 150g (1g = 4 cals)
    30% Fat (600 cals) - 66.7g (1g = 9 cals)

Which should be more than ample protein intake for exmaple man's stats, especially bearing in mind if we add in exercise (example 300 cals from some Cardio & Strength Training), that his calorie goal and thus his macro gram goals will increase on those days.

40% Carbs (920 cals) - 230g (1g = 4 cals)
    30% Protein (690 cals) - 172.5g (1g = 4 cals)
    30% Fat (690 cals) - 76.7g (1g = 9 cals)

• MPDean
    MPDean Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Unless you have been advised to limit protein by a doctor then going higher shouldn't cause any problems.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I set the protein macro in grams and the fat macro in grams and figure out the percentages from there because that's the way MFP is set up. But I don't worry about the percentages - today, for example, because of my level of activity, that percentage of protein would lead me to aim for 160 g. I really only need ~125.
  • K9RSQ4ME
    K9RSQ4ME Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the book Thinner, Leaner, Stronger by Michael Mathews. It specifically talks about deciding how to determine your macros.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    MPDean wrote: »
    Unless you have been advised to limit protein by a doctor then going higher shouldn't cause any problems.

Except maybe for your bank balance! Protein often isn't a cheap purchase.