In Home Gym Set (full body)

Options
I am not one to go to the local gym and am not very experienced in weight lifting. P90X and Treadmills have been my thing over the last few years. I am not looking to mix it and help try and tone up a little more as far as muscle.

I am looking for recommendations on inhome gym sets. I am looking at the Inspire FT2 Full Trainer (https://www.precorhomefitness.com/inspire-ft2-functional-trainer/) but was curious if anyone else had other recommendations.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Looks like a pretty awesome machine but for a fraction of that price you could get a decent bench, olympic bar and plates and a power rack; they'd take up about the same amount of floor space but give you infinitely more flexibility in your programming.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Choose a training program before you buy equipment. I prefer the half rack, Olympic barbell, weights and bench. Check out Dicks Sporting Goods. You can get out of the rack and do walking lunges and step-ups with bar too. A suspension system (TRX) may work with the training program you choose as well.

I could toss out my “Vectra machine” as I only use it for lat pull-downs and leg extensions. Like Brian said, free weights are more versatile and can fit with most programs.
  • trochanter
    trochanter Posts: 76 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I purchased the FT2 trainer 2 years ago. I have been massively impressed. It is an awsome piece of equipment with a great build quality and replaces virtually every piece of gym equipment. No more waiting around for people to finish.

I went for the full package with additional weight stack and the bench. I would highly recommend both these additions.

I would also recommend having it assembled professionally. It took 2 guys approx 4 hours to put mine together and they do this for a living. Only cost about an extra £100 which isn't huge in the grand scheme of things.

I manage to get mine on 36 months interest free, which worked out about the same monthly as our joint gym membership.

Where are you based?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ft2+exercises&view=detail&mid=D7F26C5F4074A8A8B0FDD7F26C5F4074A8A8B0FD&FORM=VIRE
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I have a similar, much cheaper/more basic, pulley system in my garage gym but I find I get way more use out of my squat rack, bench, and Olympic barbell weight set. It totally depends on what kind of goals you have though.
  • trochanter
    trochanter Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have a similar, much cheaper/more basic, pulley system but I find I get way more use out of my squat rack, bench, and Olympic barbell weight set. It totally depends on what kind of goals you have though.

This is far more than a pulley system. It has built in barbell for benches, squats, upright row etc in addition to assisted pull-ups etc. The safety mechanism for the barbell feature also means that you can train alone without a spotter.

It is worth watching the link that I posted for some of the exercises especially with the bench.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Since you like P90 X and haven't been a huge lifter, why start now? P90X and similar programs combine weight resistance and cardio. You could get some heavy KBs, a Concept 2 rower, a Concept 2 SkiErg and an Assault Bike all for less than that machine you mentioned. Look at a guy who calls himself GarageAthlete on Instagram. Justin, IMO, had one of the best training programs out there. He's the real deal. Has set many WRs on the SkiErg and he's a World Class Indoor Sprint rower.
  • Chelle8070
    Chelle8070 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I browsed Facebook marketplace and letgo and have stocked my basement gym for under $450

I have 2 olympic bars, 2 benches, 2 other bars, 310lbs in weight for the olympic bars and 260lbs in weight for the smaller ones, adjustable kettlebell, dumbell bars that take the "smaller" weights (meaning weights with like, a 1" opening), floor mats, storage for the olympic weights, a power tower, a smith machine with a few pullies, treadmill and an elliptical.

• TonnnnUK
    TonnnnUK Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Chelle8070 wrote: »
    I browsed Facebook marketplace and letgo and have stocked my basement gym for under $450

I have 2 olympic bars, 2 benches, 2 other bars, 310lbs in weight for the olympic bars and 260lbs in weight for the smaller ones, adjustable kettlebell, dumbell bars that take the "smaller" weights (meaning weights with like, a 1" opening), floor mats, storage for the olympic weights, a power tower, a smith machine with a few pullies, treadmill and an elliptical.

Now that's how it's done!!
    The machine in the original post looks great and well, but to put it in to context you could probably be a member at a gym for 15 years and still have not spent as much.
    Maybe money isn't an issue, but none the less space depending you can get a squat rack with a simple pulley system, a bench, barbell, dumbells and weight plates, some bands and attacble dip bars and you can achieve anything!