8 Ways to Sneak Exercise into the Day

Options
Amy Hendel

Getting to the gym can be the biggest hurdle to working out. If you find yourself struggling to fit an aerobics class into your busy day, you might be surprised at how easy it is to sneak in a routine here and there. Whether you’re sitting at your desk, shopping, or waiting in line, short spurts of exercise can add up to big results—and weight loss. Here are eight ways to tone up when you’re pressed for time.
Seated quad shaper
Sitting at your desk, lift one foot off the floor about 8 to 10 inches. Hold your bent leg up for a slow count of 20, and then pulse your knee upward 20 times. Be careful not to lock your knee out while doing this. When you finish the set, perform the same exercise with the opposite leg. Repeat this move several times daily.

Impact: Works your quads to help tone your thighs.

Wait-in-line toner
While you're on the phone or waiting in line, wrap your right foot around your left ankle and balance on one leg for 30 to 60 seconds. Pulse upward on the ball of your left foot for 20 counts. Now switch and work the other leg.

Impact: Strengthens your calves and makes your stumps look sexy in stiletto.

Upper-body blast
Keep a set of free weights (three, five and eight pounds) near your desk. You can perform a series of biceps curls, shoulder presses, front raises and side raises in just five minutes. You can also do "push-offs" from the edge of your desk (they mimic chest presses) to complete a great upper-body-toning workout in no time.

Impact: Tones your arms and shoulders so you feel confident and proud of your hard work.

Break-time butt drill
Squat over your office chair. Start out with an "almost sitting" 30-second squat and build up to two minutes. Remember to keep your back straight, not humped or rounded.

Impact: Turns your butt into a male magnet.

Office flex
Keep an elastic figure-eight band or traditional elastic band with handles at work. Perform a series of arm-toning exercises, including biceps curls, chest pulls and triceps kickbacks.

Impact: Defines the upper body and draws all eyes to your most sensual assets.

Cardio shopping
Next time you go food shopping, hold a basket in your right hand for two minutes and then switch it to your left hand. Continue switching it back and forth until you're ready to hit the checkout line. For an additional calorie burn, walk quickly up and down the aisles. You can also do alternate biceps curls with the basket.

Impact: Reveals a more sculpted and defined upper body.

Desk curl and chest press
Sit at a desk on a chair with wheels. Lift your feet off the floor and grasp the desk in front of you with an underhand grip, pulling yourself to the edge of the desk and then pushing yourself back 10 to 15 times. Repeat the exercise placing your hands on top of the desk in a push-off position. The first move mimics biceps curls while the second position imitates chest presses.

Impact: Tones your chest to give your bust a boost.

Timely chair crunch
Sit on the edge of a seat, clasping your hands behind your head. Lift your left leg off the floor while lowering your right elbow toward your lifted knee. Repeat 10 times, and then work the other side. This move serves as an effective in-office abdominal oblique crunch.

Impact: Sculpts abs for a sexy midsection

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Amy Hendel

Getting to the gym can be the biggest hurdle to working out. If you find yourself struggling to fit an aerobics class into your busy day, you might be surprised at how easy it is to sneak in a routine here and there. Whether you’re sitting at your desk, shopping, or waiting in line, short spurts of exercise can add up to big results—and weight loss. Here are eight ways to tone up when you’re pressed for time.
    Seated quad shaper
    Sitting at your desk, lift one foot off the floor about 8 to 10 inches. Hold your bent leg up for a slow count of 20, and then pulse your knee upward 20 times. Be careful not to lock your knee out while doing this. When you finish the set, perform the same exercise with the opposite leg. Repeat this move several times daily.

Impact: Works your quads to help tone your thighs.

Wait-in-line toner
    While you're on the phone or waiting in line, wrap your right foot around your left ankle and balance on one leg for 30 to 60 seconds. Pulse upward on the ball of your left foot for 20 counts. Now switch and work the other leg.

Impact: Strengthens your calves and makes your stumps look sexy in stiletto.

Upper-body blast
    Keep a set of free weights (three, five and eight pounds) near your desk. You can perform a series of biceps curls, shoulder presses, front raises and side raises in just five minutes. You can also do "push-offs" from the edge of your desk (they mimic chest presses) to complete a great upper-body-toning workout in no time.

Impact: Tones your arms and shoulders so you feel confident and proud of your hard work.

Break-time butt drill
    Squat over your office chair. Start out with an "almost sitting" 30-second squat and build up to two minutes. Remember to keep your back straight, not humped or rounded.

Impact: Turns your butt into a male magnet.

Office flex
    Keep an elastic figure-eight band or traditional elastic band with handles at work. Perform a series of arm-toning exercises, including biceps curls, chest pulls and triceps kickbacks.

Impact: Defines the upper body and draws all eyes to your most sensual assets.

Cardio shopping
    Next time you go food shopping, hold a basket in your right hand for two minutes and then switch it to your left hand. Continue switching it back and forth until you're ready to hit the checkout line. For an additional calorie burn, walk quickly up and down the aisles. You can also do alternate biceps curls with the basket.

Impact: Reveals a more sculpted and defined upper body.

Desk curl and chest press
    Sit at a desk on a chair with wheels. Lift your feet off the floor and grasp the desk in front of you with an underhand grip, pulling yourself to the edge of the desk and then pushing yourself back 10 to 15 times. Repeat the exercise placing your hands on top of the desk in a push-off position. The first move mimics biceps curls while the second position imitates chest presses.

Impact: Tones your chest to give your bust a boost.

Timely chair crunch
    Sit on the edge of a seat, clasping your hands behind your head. Lift your left leg off the floor while lowering your right elbow toward your lifted knee. Repeat 10 times, and then work the other side. This move serves as an effective in-office abdominal oblique crunch.

Impact: Sculpts abs for a sexy midsection
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I like those.

Here's another one I do - if there's no one in the bathroom, I'll lean against the wall and do about 30 wall push-ups, and then I'll do about 20-30 squats.

:bigsmile:
  • chrissyh
    Options
    If there's no one in the bathroom you could sing and dance too! :laugh: Just kidding....
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bbright53
    Options
    Be careful doing the last one. I just tried it and hit my knee on the desk drawer. :sad: Boy did that hurt. I have a wall behind me and I can't back up that far.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    My office has windows on two sides and has a window overlooking the rest of the office. If I did this, they would call for the men in white!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    My office has windows on two sides and has a window overlooking the rest of the office. If I did this, they would call for the men in white!

Better than Men in Black for aliens :laugh: