Rate of loss per week

Options
brittneyalley
brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
edited May 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
How much should I be aiming to lose per week?

Stats:
Current weight: 133.4 lbs
Goal weight: 110
Height: 5’1”
Approx body fat (from at home scale, I know not really accurate but just for info purposes): 37%
Sedentary

I’m breastfeeding right now, and eating 1630 calories per day. I’ve lost an average of 4.5-6 lbs per month the past 3 months.

I’m wondering if losing 1 pound per week is still okay since my body fat % is still so high? Or when should I change it to .75lb or .5lb/week?

Thank you

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Anything more than 1lb would not be a good idea, so yeah I'd stick to it. Drop it down to 0.5lbs when you get to your last 15-20lbs.
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I know that there is a recommended additional calorie intake for nursing mothers, but I do not know what that is...I'm sure someone here will.

Based on your stats I think a .75lb/wk would be a good target. Also, I think maybe an increase in protein intake and some weight training may be in your best interest. I'm sure that body fat % is due to the pregnancy, but it is high. I don't know what your current macro breakdown or exercise schedule is like so it may all be just fine.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would agree with slowing the loss down especially while nursing. Also I wouldn't worry about the bodyfat%, those scales are inaccurate especially when breastfeeding (water retention really messes with it I found)
  • brittneyalley
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I’m not sure what body fat % I would be near. I think I’m used to seeing myself a certain way it’s hard for me to be realistic. My “problem areas” are mainly my arms but I know you can’t just lose there.

What would you say my bf% is near?
  • margbarco
    margbarco Posts: 128 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Since you’re only about 23 pounds away from goal AND you’re breastfeeding, I’d say you should aim to lose no more than half a pound per week.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure what body fat % I would be near. I think I’m used to seeing myself a certain way it’s hard for me to be realistic. My “problem areas” are mainly my arms but I know you can’t just lose there.
    je4l7ozgjclu.jpeg

What would you say my bf% is near?

I'd say around 30%
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I found a formula for calories burnt breast feeding;
    Cla = (20 x oz of milk) ÷ 0.8 - basal
    Basal = 300cal (0-3 months), 400cal (4-5months), 500cal (6months+)
    Basal is based on your body adjusting your metabolism to produce milk. The 0.8 is the efficiency factor. The 20cal per oz of milk is the calories in your milk. I collaborated these numbers through a few different websites. I'm pumping an extra) itre a day to freeze in addition to feeding my 4 week old. I have about 1000cal burn per day from breast feeding so I use this to lose a kg a week and eat the calories my fitbit tells me to. The biggest risk with dieting whilst breastfeeding is to your milk supply, I have a massive oversupply so I'm OK but watch out, if your baby looks grumpy after a feed there is a good chance they aren't getting enough. Drink loads of water milk doesn't magically appear from nowhere.
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Probably in that 30-35 range but closer to 30 considering the nursing.

So much easier being a dude.
  • Yivs_87
    Yivs_87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Considering that it's still most probably your pregnancy weight and skin still haven't recovered, maybe 27-28%?

How much time has it been since the delivery of the lil one?

I'm quite sure somewhere I read that while breastfeeding you should intake 500 additional calories (but I'm not 100% sure). If you are sedentary (no exercises, not spending too much time on your feet, not walking over 5-6k steps per day), your TDEE would be 1500ish calories. With the additional ones - 2000 cals. If you want to lose a pound per week, you'd have to take 500cals less, so the 1600 you're taking seem to be reasonable while breastfeeding.
  • brittneyalley
    Options
    Basal is based on your body adjusting your metabolism to produce milk. The 0.8 is the efficiency factor. The 20cal per oz of milk is the calories in your milk. I collaborated these numbers through a few different websites. I'm pumping an extra) itre a day to freeze in addition to feeding my 4 week old. I have about 1000cal burn per day from breast feeding so I use this to lose a kg a week and eat the calories my fitbit tells me to. The biggest risk with dieting whilst breastfeeding is to your milk supply, I have a massive oversupply so I'm OK but watch out, if your baby looks grumpy after a feed there is a good chance they aren't getting enough. Drink loads of water milk doesn't magically appear from nowhere.

I exclusively breastfeed my son (7.5 months old, not eating solids yet, not by lack of trying lol). I’m not 100% sure how much he drinks per day since I’m a stay at home mom. I would think maybe 20-25 ounces since he’s a small baby (14 lbs)?
  • brittneyalley
    Options
    Yivs_87 wrote: »
    Considering that it's still most probably your pregnancy weight and skin still haven't recovered, maybe 27-28%?

How much time has it been since the delivery of the lil one?

I'm quite sure somewhere I read that while breastfeeding you should intake 500 additional calories (but I'm not 100% sure). If you are sedentary (no exercises, not spending too much time on your feet, not walking over 5-6k steps per day), your TDEE would be 1500ish calories. With the additional ones - 2000 cals. If you want to lose a pound per week, you'd have to take 500cals less, so the 1600 you're taking seem to be reasonable while breastfeeding.

He’s 7.5 months old now. I didn’t start trying to lose until he was almost 5 months. Usually I only walk 2-3k per day but I’m slowly increasing that.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options

I exclusively breastfeed my son (7.5 months old, not eating solids yet, not by lack of trying lol). I’m not 100% sure how much he drinks per day since I’m a stay at home mom. I would think maybe 20-25 ounces since he’s a small baby (14 lbs)?

Can get estimates from websites or weigh your baby before and after a feed?
  • brittneyalley
    Options

Can get estimates from websites or weigh your baby before and after a feed?

I’ll try looking online for an estimate. I’ve tried weighing him before and after but my scale isn’t accurate enough. Thank you for your help!!
  • Yivs_87
    Yivs_87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind that while you're breastfeeding, the most important thing is to remain healthy. And you're not far from your goal, and not far from having your son moving onto solids. So be patient and don't worry - the weight will come off. If not "tomorrow" then relatively soon - just wait for him to start walking xD
  • brittneyalley
    Options
    Thank you all! It’s hard for me to take a step back and see the bigger picture, because I just want to be at my goal so badly. I’m glad I posted this because it definitely helps to hear from people who know what that feels like too.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,755 Member
    Options
    You're losing at more then a lb a week eating at 1630.

You don't need more information to reduce your rate to below 1lb before reducing it again for your last dozen or so.

Just add 200 to 250 to what you've been eating. (500 is approximately a lb a week)