First Responders

Brenda1517
Brenda1517 Posts: 22 Member
Are there any other FR’s here ? Trying to figure out how many calories I am burning while on the fire line or when I am recovery diving so I will know how many calories to eat so I can lose weight without going into starvation mode, or better options for meal prepping while on call.

Replies

• arsoria24
    arsoria24 Posts: 110 Member
    🙋🏽‍♂️
  • Brenda1517
    arsoria24 wrote: »
    🙋🏽‍♂️
    Hello
  • arsoria24
    Hello, I work as a SWAT Officer. Currently I stay at 2,000 calories a day and that seems to work for me (2 meals a day and a small snack depending on my meals).
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,470 Member
    LEO here, was SWAT for a little over 2 years
  • arsoria24
    I apologize, I didn’t answer your question haha, you can track your calories with different watches. I think working in law enforcement you should have a good watch, pay the extra few bucks to buy one that counts calories burned.
  • Brenda1517
    I apologize, I didn’t answer your question haha, you can track your calories with different watches. I think working in law enforcement you should have a good watch, pay the extra few bucks to buy one that counts calories burned.

I agree about the watch, however I’m not a Leo, I am a firefighter and have yet to find a watch that I don’t break. Suggestions for a solid watch preferably waterproof would greatly be appreciated. The Apple Watch did not survive the swift water rescue, haha not all apples float😁

• Brenda1517
    While starvation mode is a thing, it isn't something that is of concern to the average person attempting to lose weight. I would approach your first responder activities with the same light as exercise, and otherwise not use it as an excuse to eat back calories. Best bet is to track your calories and/or macros as you normally would, and if you notice you are losing too much, or too little, adjust your intake.

Thank you, I believe my current calorie count was too low and I have lost weight which honestly I needed to lose but, I think I’m losing too fast unless 17 pounds in three weeks is normal. It’s not normal for me.
  • Yivs_87
    Yivs_87 Posts: 246 Member
    I'd recommend switching to another method of logging - instead of using the MFP one, where you have to log your burn and then eat back some/part/all of the calories, maybe consider to using the TDEE method.

It's much easier when the burn is a more complex thing like yours.

You calculate your TDEE based on your activity - it would definitely be in the very least the 3rd level of activity, but maybe even 4th or 5th (ignore how the TDEE calculator calls those levels of activity "steneous cardio" or "5-6hrs of workouts" or whatever), then you define a cut (maybe -500 cals per day or 20% less than your TDEE), and you simply aim to eat at those calories with no need to log your exercises or burn related to work.
  • arsoria24
    Brenda1517 wrote: »

I agree about the watch, however I’m not a Leo, I am a firefighter and have yet to find a watch that I don’t break. Suggestions for a solid watch preferably waterproof would greatly be appreciated. The Apple Watch did not survive the swift water rescue, haha not all apples float😁

The Garmin Fenix 5 is a great watch. It is water proof, durable and counts burned calories. Believe me, I’ve tested it out in many situations (jumping walls, strenuous physical activities, swimming, and even while putting out a fire 😉) and it has yet to break. Prior to this watch I had not worn a watch for the past 9 years due to the issue of them always breaking.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Yup - Garmin Fenix range or the new FR945 are waterproof, tough and durable and Garmin are good about repairs if you have issues.
  • arsoria24
    sarabushby wrote: »
    Yup - Garmin Fenix range or the new FR945 are waterproof, tough and durable and Garmin are good about repairs if you have issues.

😃
  • Brenda1517
    Yivs_87 wrote: »
    I'd recommend switching to another method of logging - instead of using the MFP one, where you have to log your burn and then eat back some/part/all of the calories, maybe consider to using the TDEE method.

It's much easier when the burn is a more complex thing like yours.

You calculate your TDEE based on your activity - it would definitely be in the very least the 3rd level of activity, but maybe even 4th or 5th (ignore how the TDEE calculator calls those levels of activity "steneous cardio" or "5-6hrs of workouts" or whatever), then you define a cut (maybe -500 cals per day or 20% less than your TDEE), and you simply aim to eat at those calories with no need to log your exercises or burn related to work.
    Thank you very much for your help.
  • Brenda1517
    Brenda1517 wrote: »

The Garmin Fenix 5 is a great watch. It is water proof, durable and counts burned calories. Believe me, I’ve tested it out in many situations (jumping walls, strenuous physical activities, swimming, and even while putting out a fire 😉) and it has yet to break. Prior to this watch I had not worn a watch for the past 9 years due to the issue of them always breaking.
    Thank you so much!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I just want to say you go, girl. Firefighters and other first responders are awesome. And female firefighters triply so.
  • Mrsrobinsoncl
    Mrsrobinsoncl Posts: 122 Member
    I've had a Garmin Vivoactive HR for years and its done good as far as holding up and giving me a good calorie burn for the day. I did take it off when we dive just because I don't want to kill it,
    It finally died, after several years with me (and I bought it used) I am looking at replacing it with the same one. I'm currently back to using my vivofit watch