Menopause and weight loss

Options
I did this years ago and did well BUT now I'm in menopause and I am lost bc the same things aren't working. Plus im a stay at home mom with two boys one is severely handicapped so i don't have any support.

Replies

• trishsiple
    trishsiple Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have also done this on and off for a few years. Because I have gone through menopause in the last year, I have gained 10+ lbs and can't seem to lose any ... only gain. HELP!!! I hope tracking my food will help me. I try to exercise 30 minutes a day, but I have a sit down job - 40hrs a week. Suggestions?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Menopause doesn't change how your body loses weight. Create a calorie deficit in whatever way works for you.

Read through this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Also, calling @AnnPT77
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I lost weight at 59 so it can be done but I found I lost a bit slower than some. Don't give up. Take your time and it will come off. The goal here is to lose and keep it off so if it takes a bit more time that's ok. Be sure you get a food scale and be sure you log EVERYTHING you eat including a bite here and there as it all adds up and as you get older it seems like things slow down. Every female deals with hormones on one level or another so don't let that hold you back. Good luck.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,234 Member
    Options
    Mostly, it's not menopause. Our estimated totally calorie burn declines by something like 10 calories a year as we age. That's tiny.

And the thing is, most of that can be accounted for by a combination of 2 things:

1. Our body composition slowly changes, to relatively less muscle, relatively more fat. It's just a tiny, gradual change, but a pound of muscle burns a tiny number more calories per day just sitting there, than a pound of fat - I think it's something like 4 calories per pound difference. (Decades of yo-yo dieting can have made this worse than it needed to be, for some, too.)

2. On average, looking across the population, we move less. Maybe it's because of what's going on around us (responsibilities, changing leisure pursuits with our friends), maybe it's because our jobs (including home) have become more sedentary as we progress, maybe we have some aches and pains so sit more, maybe it's because we've gotten a bunch of intensive projects done (think decorating, home & garden projects), and are now in the phase of enjoying them. Whatever it is, we tend to sit more, move less. Burns fewer calories, every day - maybe just a few.

The good news? Both of those are factors under our control. We can get stronger, and we can move more. Further, it's more productive to focus on things we control (like those two, plus eating habits), than to focus on things we can't change (like menopause or aging).

Even when not able to get out to a gym or trainer, there are things we can do at home like beginner bodyweight programs, and there are some described in this thread (which is not just lifting, BTW, despite the title): http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

Not only is muscle tissue useful as mentioned above (where it's admittedly a tiny contributor, and slow to develop), but being stronger is extremely, extremely useful in daily life (and that tends to improve quickly, with diligence).

Moving more in daily life doesn't have to be a crazy extreme exercise program, though of course exercise burns calories (and there are good exercise programs, free, on YouTube for a variety of interests and experience levels). But there are other ways to move more, that help a little. This thread is about that:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10610953/neat-improvement-strategies-to-improve-weight-loss

But for weight loss, just as premenopause, the big deal is finding the right calorie level, and sticking to it the overwhelming majority of days. While only calories matter for weight loss, I personally believe that good nutrition is important for satiation, health and energy level, and that that's even more true as we age. Getting enough protein, while losing weight especially, is very important as we age (research backs this up). Women my age, in my experience, often low-ball protein routinely, but especially so while losing weight - that increases probability of muscle loss.

I'd also say that a slow and steady weight loss, always a good idea compared to fast loss, is even more important with aging as well. I don't know about you, but I find I recover a bit more slowly from extreme physical stresses than I used to, which makes it more important to avoid them. Rapid weight loss is a stressor.

I'd strongly recommend against fad diets, diets that cut out major food groups, or anything of that nature, unless you have a diagnosed medical condition that requires a special diet.

This is the plan I used to lose about 1/3 of my body weight (roughly 50 pounds) in less than a year, at age 59-60, without changing my exercise routine (while hypothyroid, if that matters - I think it doesn't):

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm

I'm currently 63, and in year 3 of maintaining a healthy weight. (I don't have the challenges you have with your sons, but I'm retired, and a widow living alone - true throughout my weight loss - so I can't say I have much of a support system beyond myself, either).

You can do this. Focus on what you can control.

Best wishes! :)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,263 Member
    Options
    There usually isn't much left to say after @AnnPT77 has chimed in except "good luck!"
    Read and re-read her advice. There's no point in making this any harder than it has to be.
  • rancidveg
    rancidveg Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi All
    I am 56 and just started menopause . I went on HRT patches because the symptoms got so bad that I couldn't function. Not sure that HRT will make and impact. I am looking for friendly support in this journey that I suspect will be long and slow and that is OK .
    I am exploring calories and reducing sugar so my taste buds will appreciate food again. one matra I have is water water water .
    Hope to hear from others