Can this actually be true?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's true. I really can't believe that people still believe you have to drink plain water for health or weigh loss. I didn't really need any studies to tell me that since I primarily drink tea (iced or hot) but there is plenty of evidence that plain water is not needed out there for anyone that cares to take a minute or two to find it.

Honestly, I've never knew there were so many water obsessed people till I joined this site. It's crazy!
    LOL, and I've never seen so many people so repulsed and opposed to water before coming to this site.:laugh: I don't get forcing yourself to drink gallons a day but why so much hate?

Just the desire to be right, or a general love of arguing would be my guess. Or boredom.
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I don't think I believe that. But I think I am going to stick with my water!!!
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    This guy is a professor at one of the best medical schools in the world and he specializes in kidney function. I'm sure that if we actually read the study that this guy published, it wouldn't be so controversial. Actually, if you're interested it's here: http://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/19/6/1041.full

Can I have you puppy??? PLEASE???? c'mon Mikey.

What's a puppy among friends, I mean really. Actually we can trade. You give me beer and funny stories, I give you the puppy.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    You can survive for 40 days without food...you will die after 3 or so days without water....what do you think?? Is water THAT important??
  • Harkins86
    Harkins86 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    All I know is, it works for me! I used to get horrible headaches on a daily basis, my doctor checked all the usual causes and suggested it was simply dehydration (I never used to drink water, it was about 1 glass of fruit juice in the morning and maybe a glass of coke at night!) 3 months ago, I started drinking no less than 8 cups a day and I rarely ever get headaches now.

Plus sugary drinks and those high in caffeine give me migraines, as well as being full of empty calories. Swapping to water usually benefits people trying to lose weight for that reason alone.

Same for me! Drinking water stops my headaches and makes me feel good. I used to confuse hunger with thirst too.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This guy is a professor at one of the best medical schools in the world and he specializes in kidney function. I'm sure that if we actually read the study that this guy published, it wouldn't be so controversial. Actually, if you're interested it's here: http://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/19/6/1041.full

Can I have you puppy??? PLEASE???? c'mon Mikey.

What's a puppy among friends, I mean really. Actually we can trade. You give me beer and funny stories, I give you the puppy.

You SO have yourself a deal :)
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    ...consumption of diet soda at least daily was associated with significantly greater risks of select incident metabolic syndrome components and type 2 diabetes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2660468/

Nutr Rev. 2010 Sep;68(9):505-21.
    Impact of water intake on energy intake and weight status: a systematic review.
    Daniels MC, Popkin BM.
    SourceDepartment of Nutrition, School of Public Health at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA.

Abstract
    The effects of consuming water with meals rather than drinking no beverage or various other beverages remain under-studied. This systematic review of studies reported in the English-language literature was performed to compare the effects of drinking water and various beverage alternatives on energy intake and/or weight status. Relevant clinical trials, epidemiologic studies, and intervention studies were identified and findings across the literature were summarized. From the clinical trials, average differences were calculated in total energy intake at test meals (DeltaTEI) for each of several beverage categories in comparison with water. The available literature for these comparisons is sparse and somewhat inconclusive. However, one of the most consistent sets of findings was related to adults drinking sugar-sweetened beverages (SSBs) versus water before a single meal. In these comparisons, total energy intakes were 7.8% higher (DeltaTEI range, -7.5 to 18.9) when SSBs were consumed. Studies comparing non-nutritive sweeteners with water were also relatively consistent and found no impact on energy intake among adults (DeltaTEI, -1.3; range, -9 to 13.8). Much less conclusive evidence was found in studies replacing water with milk and juice, with estimated increases in TEI of 14.9% (range, 10.9 to 23.9%). These findings from clinical trials, along with those from epidemiologic and intervention studies, suggest water has a potentially important role to play in reducing energy intake, and consequently in obesity prevention. A need for randomized-controlled trials to confirm this role exists.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20796216
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    Someone should send the link to my husband's kidney stones. Oh wait, he doesn't get them when he's drinking plenty of water!
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    This article actually says diet soda is just as effective as water.
    Do you believe everything you read? There are so many reasons it is wrong, but I'll just keep it simple... even if 8cups of water a day is a myth, when have you EVER heard someone say "8 cups of diet soda a day is good for your health"

I'm not saying I believe it. I drink over 100 oz of water every day.
    I just thought it was funny that this is now a story.

It's NPR. I didn't realize anyone took them seriously.
  • Angelamu77
    Options
    Water helps me and that is all I care about. When I drink water I don't retain water, I feel better and look better too. And all those calories I burn running to the bathroom every 5 min....seriously! lol
  • odusgolp
    Options
    This article actually says diet soda is just as effective as water.
    Do you believe everything you read? There are so many reasons it is wrong, but I'll just keep it simple... even if 8cups of water a day is a myth, when have you EVER heard someone say "8 cups of diet soda a day is good for your health"

I'm not saying I believe it. I drink over 100 oz of water every day.
    I just thought it was funny that this is now a story.

It's NPR. I didn't realize anyone took them seriously.

bwahah!!! (((love)))
  • ehlertmartha
    Options
    So what is the best thing to drink then if we cant have our dam water cause i was just getting used to it kinda
  • odusgolp
    Options
    So what is the best thing to drink then if we cant have our dam water cause i was just getting used to it kinda

Regular water. No dam necessary, so it's much easier to acquire.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Drink water if you want. Just think of drinks the same as you would food. Avoid too much sugar or sodium, try to keep it natural and healthy, yadda, yadda, yadda.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    its true. You are supposed to drink kool-aid, beer or wine. Period.

Wrong Liquor before beer
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    There are hundreds of articles on the internet that have undeniable proof to both sides.. so why bother with articles, just do what works for you. Water works for me!!

100% agree!

Agreed too. I do just enough research to know something won't kill me, and then I try it and judge it based on what it does to me.

Also, it makes sense that drinking water isn't much different then diet soda, since diet soda is 99% water.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I would read it, but I don't belive it, we are made of mostly water so I truely belive we need water, end of story!

I agree with this and add fat to that list too.

Our brains are primarily fat and water. It is imperitive to have plenty of both of these items in our lifestyle for proper body functions.
  • jenblowsbubblez
    jenblowsbubblez Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    All I know is, it works for me! I used to get horrible headaches on a daily basis, my doctor checked all the usual causes and suggested it was simply dehydration (I never used to drink water, it was about 1 glass of fruit juice in the morning and maybe a glass of coke at night!) 3 months ago, I started drinking no less than 8 cups a day and I rarely ever get headaches now.

Plus sugary drinks and those high in caffeine give me migraines, as well as being full of empty calories. Swapping to water usually benefits people trying to lose weight for that reason alone.

agree!!!! bc i drink more water,, my headaches and migraines are probably down 90%!!!
  • BelindaBuzz
    Options
    As a nurse I can tell you that drinking water is very important. Why do we give people IV fluids when they are sick? Why is it important to stay hydrated when you work out or when it is hot outside? You don't even need to hear this from anybody or read about it....Just listen to your own body.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    As a nurse I can tell you that drinking water is very important. Why do we give people IV fluids when they are sick? Why is it important to stay hydrated when you work out or when it is hot outside? You don't even need to hear this from anybody or read about it....Just listen to your own body.

It should be common sense, but apparantly its not..............