Cheat day help?

Options
How many do you have a week? I've been having one, but I never know whether I should eat one cheat food that day and no exercise or whether on a cheat day you can just eat how you want and not exercise?

What works for you guys? xx

Replies

• jml107
    jml107 Posts: 27
    Options
    Not to sound all high and mighty but if you need a cheat day then what you are doing isn't sustainable or probably very healthy.
  • gel91
    gel91 Posts: 309
    Options
    I don't cheat.. but I guess when I have a bad day and end up eating something I probably shouldn't off I'd just excersice or eat less the next day.

So in a way I reserve my cheat days for slip ups and then carry on with my day, so maybe 1 bad meal / snack and no excercise could work
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Not to sound all high and mighty but if you need a cheat day then what you are doing isn't sustainable or probably very healthy.

I agree. Every once every couple of months I have a cheat *meal* NOT day, mainly if something comes up like a wedding, birthday party, etc. where I don't want to log every calorie. However, having one blowout day once a week would be detrimental to my weight loss. Even if I know I'll go over my calories (especially on a weekend), I will log it and try to stay close to my limit.

If you need a full day to go crazy eating, chances are you have made your daily diet unsustainable. I will have dessert here and there and other fatty/not necessarily healthy foods, yet stay within my calorie range so I can do this for life.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Cheating only means you really care about winning.
  • sharonus
    sharonus Posts: 102
    Options
    I actually don't do cheat days. If I have pizza, I have one slice and a big salad. If I have chocolate, I have a couple pieces so it's around 100 calories or so. If I wanted to have a beer (or two) -- which I know you wouldn't since you're under 21 -- I make sure I work out that day and build up extra calories to cover that.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    CHEAT WEEKENDS :P

All you need to do is realize that if you cheat one or two days a week, your fat loss won't happen as quickly as it would otherwise... Other than that, you need a diet break for a week or two after six to eight weeks of cutting calories.
  • kizzy67
    kizzy67 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I allow one a week for those indulgences I know I shouldnt have....but I dont cheat the whole day, its just one meal of the day, and in my case is usually dinner.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I don't really cheat either. I just plan for treats. For instance, if I know I'm going to have dessert and a less than healthy meal, I just plan my day out to accommodate the extra calories. It might mean more exercise to earn more. Or, it might mean eating fewer calories at other meals. Plan ahead and you don't ever have to go over your calories no matter what you eat.
  • HoopFire5602
    HoopFire5602 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Agree with having a cheat meal. Since I have been eating better for many months now, i don't even feel the need to have a whole day. Also, no matter what, I exercise.
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I am NOT passing judgement, but the term cheat day is hard for me to wrap my mind around. Cheat days imply I would be doing something wrong. Therefore, I don't have a scheduled cheat day, BUT there are days when I simply am not in a position to maintain my regular routine due to outside influences. I just try to make healthy choices and take responsibility for the outcome.
    And there are days when I just WANT that damned Whopper with Bacon and Cheese!!! So maybe instead of the big monster, I will get the Whopper Jr. and carry on with the rest of my day ... it is what it is.
    There is nothing I can't have or enjoy as long as I do so in moderation and responsibly. I have not taken the LIFE out of my lifestyle change, I am just taking responsibility for my choices and adjusting workouts and other meals accordingly.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I have maintained a healthy weight all my adult life (and I'm 52 now). What has always worked for me is - Monday through Saturday I eat healthy foods and sensible portions. Sunday is my pig out day!! Yay!! I love Sundays. I basically eat whatever I want but maintain sensible portions. Pig out does not mean binging, it just means enjoying foods that normally wouldn't be part of my diet during the week.

I keep to my exercise schedule for that week (it flucuates from week to week with work, family, obligations). So If I am due for a killer work out on Sunday Pig Out Day....I still do that killer work out!!!

Personally, for me, I don't want to live in a world where I could never have a hot fudge sundae again! And nobody ever got fat from eating a cookie or two once in awhile....when you start eating the whole bag that's when you'll have problems!

Food is not the enemy! It's to be enjoyed in sensible portions!!
  • AliciaJade93
    AliciaJade93 Posts: 122 Member
    Options

I agree. Every once every couple of months I have a cheat *meal* NOT day, mainly if something comes up like a wedding, birthday party, etc. where I don't want to log every calorie. However, having one blowout day once a week would be detrimental to my weight loss. Even if I know I'll go over my calories (especially on a weekend), I will log it and try to stay close to my limit.

If you need a full day to go crazy eating, chances are you have made your daily diet unsustainable. I will have dessert here and there and other fatty/not necessarily healthy foods, yet stay within my calorie range so I can do this for life.

Well personally I only eat one cheat meal a week because i think its healthy to balance it out rather than just stick to one side of food triangle, but that's just me i wouldn't know what works for you.

I do agree that one meal is best, i just didn't know if i was being to strict on myself! thanks everyone!

P.S i can drink, i live in the UK + i'm 18 hehe x
  • RissaDean
    RissaDean Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I think jml107 is maybe trying to say that if you feel you need to plan a cheat day into your week, you are restricting yourself too much.

In my case, I don't have a planned cheat day - as in FRIDAYS I WILL EAT NOTHING BUT CHOCOLATE AND PIZZA!! - but I do end up with about one cheat meal each week. Either we go out to dinner with friends/family randomly, or hubby and I are both craving pizza (and you can't really have pepperoni pizza without a couple of beers) and then I'm just too stuffed to work out. Also treadmill + beer = disaster :)

Since I don't plan for these bigger meals, I've usually eaten well the rest of the day, and have just blown dinner out of the water. I log it (usually - well, ok - sometimes) and then just carry on with my week. If you're planning to do this long term, you've got to realize that not every day is possible to stay at 1360 cals (in my case). This might slow my weight loss some, but overall I feel like it's working for me because if I have a huge dinner, I don't feel like I've failed and should just give up. I admit a bump in the road and just keep chugging along.

I very rarely have an all out, I WILL NOT LOG ANYTHING!!! day because then I'm just miserable for a couple of days afterwards.
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    One meal per weekend is what I do. But like someone already mentioned, if you plan for it.. you can always exercise to accomodate the calories.

For me a cheat meal is very helpful!!! I can't eat healthy every day all day with no reward for doing so. To me it helps me continue to eating better when I have a bad meal once a week... that way I dont quit or give up. I've always been in good shape and healthy doing it that way. As always though, different things work for different people and with that you have different opinions on the topic. If you need a cheat meal, have one.. but make sure you stick to exercising and eating good and meeting your MFP food diary goals the other 6 days!
  • AliciaJade93
    AliciaJade93 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have maintained a healthy weight all my adult life (and I'm 52 now). What has always worked for me is - Monday through Saturday I eat healthy foods and sensible portions. Sunday is my pig out day!! Yay!! I love Sundays. I basically eat whatever I want but maintain sensible portions. Pig out does not mean binging, it just means enjoying foods that normally wouldn't be part of my diet during the week.

I keep to my exercise schedule for that week (it flucuates from week to week with work, family, obligations). So If I am due for a killer work out on Sunday Pig Out Day....I still do that killer work out!!!

Personally, for me, I don't want to live in a world where I could never have a hot fudge sundae again! And nobody ever got fat from eating a cookie or two once in awhile....when you start eating the whole bag that's when you'll have problems!

Thank you so much, this is the sort of answer i was looking for :D
  • TMcBooty
    TMcBooty Posts: 780 Member
    Options

I don't want to live in a world where I could never have a hot fudge sundae again! And nobody ever got fat from eating a cookie or two once in awhile....when you start eating the whole bag that's when you'll have problems!

<3
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cheat day - but I do tend to have one meal a week when I don't actively count calories (be that a meal with the girls, or pub and a takeaway with the OH)

I have been here a while now though and even on these nights 'off' I still go for healthy options. If I drink alcohol it usually vodka and diet coke. If I have a take-away it is a chicken shish kebab, when I eat out at a restauraunt I have a healthy main course [not 3 whole courses]

I eat healthy and exrcise before and after my cheat evening! In fact I don't even consider it a cheat evening - It's just one night a week when I consume a few more calories than an average evening!

On a day to day basis if I really fancy something I factor it into my daily allowance, or I exercise for it, or I have a small portion (or a combination!!)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

Thank you so much, this is the sort of answer i was looking for :D

Thanks:))) It still do log all my 'cheat foods' in the log....as painful as it may be hehe. But logging it does help me to maintain control and not eat and entire cartoon of Ben and Jerry's ice cream (sighhhhhhh)..but just a scoop or two.
  • wearystar
    wearystar Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i never plan on cheat days, i always feel too guilty when i cheat.

i only "cheat" when i've had a really horrible day.
    the day before yesterday i worked 5-10pm came home had a horrible sleepless night, got up and was at school from 10am-10pm again. came home to my boyfriend eating a nice pizza and ate what i wanted rather than making myself the salad i had planned on.
    i was just to exhausted and mentally worn out to do anything else.
    but today i'm feeling the bloat and will attempt to repair the damage.
  • laurashapiro
    laurashapiro Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think we all have cheat days. Its doing them in moderation thats the key. You cant beat yourself up for a day or two that arent perfect. I try to make it up the next day if posible, but we have to look at the long term picture, not only what your day looks like. (And I agree- I log all of my cheat foods too. I think thats the best thing about the tracker. You have to get real with yourself about what youre eating!)