Significant other/weight loss issues

angelajl80
angelajl80 Posts: 2 Member
Anyone ever deal with a s/o who constantly lectures you for hours on end about the proper way to eat, the proper way to exercise? How does it make you feel? How do you make your s/o stfu? For me it pisses me off. I dont like to be told what to do an how to do it and how everything im doin is wrong. Thats not encouragement that makes me wanna give up and quit.it doesnt instill confidence or drive me forward. It makes my blood boil.

Replies

• seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Uh, yeah, that would be a serious problem for me and not at all helpful.
    I would have a serious talk with them about it and I honestly don't think I'd stay in the relationship if my partner persisted in that manner.
  • drebmc
    drebmc Posts: 23 Member
    The best way to make them "stfu" is to show them the door. Thank you honey for your support, please don't bother to come back. Ever. :D
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    You're getting lectured constantly "for hours on end" by a significant other? A partner, an equal, who supposedly loves you?
  • Kimmotion5783
    Kimmotion5783 Posts: 417 Member
    edited May 2019
    Oh yeah! Only mine is not a significant other but my grandmother whom I help take care of. And you just described her to a T! I'm the same way- hate being told what to do. According to her, you'd think I couldn't do a damn thing for myself. Every day I get at least one lecture about how I shouldn't go to gym, shouldn't eat healthy all the time, and how I "need to rest" (which is actually code for stay home and keep me entertained) This is the woman whom all my life wanted me to lose weight. Now that I'm actually doing it, suddenly it's a problem with her... go figure! This is why you gotta do these things for yourself- if you listen to everyone else, it'll drive you nuts.
  • Kimmotion5783
    As for how to get that naysayer to stop, well, you can't, really. Just like they can't control you, you can't control them either. It works both ways. I can't convince someone to live a healthy lifestyle if they don't want to, and vice versa, they can't convince me to revert back to my unhealthy ways. The only thing you can control is how you react to the situation.

So like me with my grandmother, I already know when I get home I'll hear the whole gripe about going to the gym and eating healthy- I just let that noise go in one ear and right out the other. With people like that, I think it's partly a secret envy that they wish they could make healthier decisions for themselves, but they just don't want to for whatever reason. Either way, you can't control it, so you just do you. Keep up the good work and don't worry about everyone else.
  • Kimmotion5783
    But that's a close family member and I can't really get out of that situation. If this were a significant other, it would probably be a deal breaker for me. But that's just me. I would have to be with someone who is health-conscious and leads a healthy lifestyle.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    My s/o tends to 'lecture' me about my bad eating habits. It's frustrating. Like, dude, I know - I suck sometimes, you don't have to constantly point it out.
  • newmeadow
    newmeadow Posts: 1,295 Member
    You can't say whatever you want to this guy like shut up and cut it out?

When you get naked and lay down with someone, being able to then say exactly what's on your mind to a "significant other" is one of the obvious perks of such a relationship. Otherwise why bother.