Artificial Sweeteners - What do you all drink?

Options

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I’ve heard because it doesn’t know how to properly process and digest it it gets stored as body fat, is this true?

Not picking on you, OP, as I've heard this statement before. But it just baffles me. If your body doesn't "know what to do" with something, it doesn't default to digesting it and storing it as fat! If I eat something that my body truly can't process, like a piece of teflon, it just...doesn't get digested, and passes through more or less unchanged.

Correct. Anything your body "doesn't know what to do with" ends up in the toilet, unprocessed.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I’ve heard because it doesn’t know how to properly process and digest it it gets stored as body fat, is this true?

Not picking on you, OP, as I've heard this statement before. But it just baffles me. If your body doesn't "know what to do" with something, it doesn't default to digesting it and storing it as fat! If I eat something that my body truly can't process, like a piece of teflon, it just...doesn't get digested, and passes through more or less unchanged.

Correct. Anything your body "doesn't know what to do with" ends up in the toilet, unprocessed.

Heavy metals being an exception. Same with collodial silver.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

Yeah, didn't want to go in that direction. Your digestive system doesn't really "know" anything, and just applies a set of chemical and physical processes to whatever is introduced to it.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Fresca.

zt6c9ptch1gl.jpg
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

Yeah, didn't want to go in that direction. Your digestive system doesn't really "know" anything, and just applies a set of chemical and physical processes to whatever is introduced to it.

I think poisons are a whole different matter anyway. Even if the stomach could decide what to digest, I'm not sure it'd stand a chance against a poison like that anyway. It's like, letting a useless tourist pass through the gates vs. an invading army. I don't think the stomach has much of a choice. Heck, you can breathe in heavy metal particles and damage your lungs.
  • echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I should add to my own post that stevia is a natural sweetener. (The OP asked about artificial sweeteners)

Stevia is the name of the plant it comes from.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    nooboots wrote: »

Thirdly I think if you are going to have something sweet, then have something sweet.

I shall. -Sips diet coke-. 'Tis sweet.

Well I suppose the point I was making was that to me, diet coke (and other diet drinks) dont taste sweet, they taste quite bitter, sort of metallically and chemically ish.

Nah, I get ya, I'm just heavy on the sass today. Blueberries taste metallic to me. Never got how they could be sweet.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options

Thirdly I think if you are going to have something sweet, then have something sweet.

Well I suppose the point I was making was that to me, diet coke (and other diet drinks) dont taste sweet, they taste quite bitter, sort of metallically and chemically ish.

Nah, I get ya, I'm just heavy on the sass today. Blueberries taste metallic to me. Never got how they could be sweet.

Blueberries got quite popular in the UK around 10years ago, I absolutely hate them, no sweetness at all, actually barely any flavour at all, I dont get why they are so popular.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I don't drink them simply because I can't stand the taste. Even stevia, which I used to find okay, I can hardly stomach the flavor. I don't really drink much other than water, though, and occasionally iced coffee. In which case I'll just suck it up and use real sugar. I'm lucky though and have never had any problems with bloodsugar, and I don't eat a lot of sugar in a day as it is

Ya, I can't stand the taste of artificial sweeteners and can only tolerate tiny amounts of stevia.

I have zero guilt about the 1/2 teaspoon sugar I put in my tea.
  • ultra_violets
    ultra_violets Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I can't start the morning without an ice cold Diet Mountain Dew. I don't drink coffee so I need something to get me going. I really enjoy the taste and I don't think a couple small bottles a day is anything to worry about. It hasn't made me crave sweets or affected my blood sugar, so I consider it safe.
  • Slackpacker
    Slackpacker Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've mostly given up artificial sweeteners except for the occasional erythritol or malitol, but even those are rare. Believe it or not, I will do a shot of Coca Cola once or twice a year. Small hit of sugar (usually before a long-distance ride) and my soda craving is satisfied.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

Blueberries got quite popular in the UK around 10years ago, I absolutely hate them, no sweetness at all, actually barely any flavour at all, I dont get why they are so popular.

Are you eating in-season blueberries sourced locally? Makes a big difference in taste.

I buy frozen wild blueberries when out of season.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,865 Member
    Options
    We do our own little flavoured drink here at home which is mineral water with a squeeze of lime in it and ice cubes. On occasion gin might be added too!

Muddle in some rosemary, thyme, sage, basil, or mint and you've got yourself a winner!