Options
1234568»

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Nerys52 wrote: »
    The thing is I visited USA in 1981 and could not find a grocery shop to go see inside, was in tourist area NY and FL.

There's this whole deal with grocery store locations where they all end up near each other (it's actually better from a competition standpoint) but you end up with areas with like three grocery stores and areas with none.

Plus to be honest you're not going to find proper grocery stores near touristy areas. The real estate is too valuable. Most of the grocery stores tend to be in lower cost areas near residences.

True, their target market isn't going to be where the tourists are. I'm one of those weird tourists that grocery shops, but that's not the norm, lol.
  • Nerys52
    Nerys52 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Yes I also used to go grocery shopping as a tourist when I was still able to travel.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    anl90 wrote: »
    As someone who has went through weight loss surgery, this show has actually been a big help to me. I am far from that size, but seeing someone go through such a drastic weight change really inspires me. It's a huge step to take, and I applaud the ones who are serious about it for going through with it. It is definitely not the "easy way out", as some think it is.

Definitely. I have not had weight loss surgery so I can only imagine, but I see it as a tool. You still have to correctly use that tool in order to have success - it won't do the work for you, it's just there to help.

Exactly. I think a lot of people think it is some 'magic cure', and that is so far from the case. The cravings don't go away. Eventually, you can go right back to eating the same crap you were before. It is a majorly helpful tool, yes, but it takes so much more work.
  • RelCanonical
    Options
    As someone who has went through weight loss surgery, this show has actually been a big help to me. I am far from that size, but seeing someone go through such a drastic weight change really inspires me. It's a huge step to take, and I applaud the ones who are serious about it for going through with it. It is definitely not the "easy way out", as some think it is.

Definitely. I have not had weight loss surgery so I can only imagine, but I see it as a tool. You still have to correctly use that tool in order to have success - it won't do the work for you, it's just there to help.

Exactly. I think a lot of people think it is some 'magic cure', and that is so far from the case. The cravings don't go away. Eventually, you can go right back to eating the same crap you were before. It is a majorly helpful tool, yes, but it takes so much more work.

I think it helps me to understand it because I'm someone that wants to eat even when not hungry and I would graze a lot, so I would basically never get hungry. The surgery wouldn't help with that very much, lol.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options

I think it helps me to understand it because I'm someone that wants to eat even when not hungry and I would graze a lot, so I would basically never get hungry. The surgery wouldn't help with that very much, lol.

Seeing my mom go through her post-op journey, I'd have to disagree with that last part :) Your body will hurt something awful should you eat too much or something that doesn't agree with it anymore.
  • RelCanonical
    Options

Seeing my mom go through her post-op journey, I'd have to disagree with that last part :) Your body will hurt something awful should you eat too much or something that doesn't agree with it anymore.

Ah yeah, you are right, I remember hearing about that. Man, that would suck. I do not like to throw up but I'd probably not have a choice.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I have had 3 family members have weight-loss surgery.
    They had not reached 600Lbs .. but all were over 300Lbs minimum... in all 3 cases it was not the first attempt they'd made to lose weight.
    They all had tried many different ways with greater or lesser success, and over the course of a lot of years.

(I myself have not had either of the weightloss surgeries available but I sure can empathize with the struggle these loved ones have faced).

2 of the 3 family members had issue with volume (portion control) more than cravings... they simply never felt full.

Let me also say all 3 were mobile, working and as active as they could be given the effort of dealing with extra weight and low energy.

All were able to purchase & prepare food and makes choices for themselves (ie: they were not dependent on others to prepare foods for them, if they wanted to prepare their own meals, and make better choices, they could).

All 3 are intelligent, well educated adults, none had the mind-set that this was a 'magic cure'.. they knew full-well the struggle they were about to enter into.

So were there enablers?
    It depends on your definition I suppose.

If food comes into the house, meant for other people who were not battling weight issues, and someone who should not have eaten any, chose to eat it... is that enabling?

We are all faced by temptation and how we respond to it makes a huge difference.
    That being said... we are all just human and we succumb to temptations.

Do I wish they could have found success in their own willpower, without surgery? of course I do!
    And so do they! They sure tried to.

Will the weight they've lost in the last 12 to 18 months stay off? (they've all done so well so far)
    They hope so.. I hope so for their health.

But again... don't we all plan on being long-term successful in our weightloss efforts?

No one makes this kind of change in their lives with the 'intention' of backsliding, falling off the wagon, struggling, whateveryouwanttocallit....

But...
    Being humans, we will probably struggle with such things all our lives.
    I know I reached my goal weight 8 years ago (thanks to mfp) and despite knowing how to eat well, I still managed to slowly let things slide and... back I came to start logging in mfp again, 7 years later, to take the weight off again.
    No enablers to blame, just me being weak... but the good thing is.. I won't give up.

The majority of the people I know who've had weightloss surgery... have turned to it as, what I can only describe as a 'last ditch effort' to try to save their health when all else had failed them.

For anyone making very difficult choices, and embracing the restricting changes they are about to put themselves through in order to improve their health (despite the negativity that comes their way from others who can't or won't try to imagine what it feels like for them to have have to face that kind of negativity when they are feeling desperate)... you have my utmost admiration and support.

Never give up!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I watch UK Fat Doctor on Youtube and also Supersize Vs Superskinny where they have to eat each others foods.
    I also watch my600 lbs life on Youtube. Did anyone eat normal home cooked food and get to 600lbs?
    Also like looking at american grocery shop Youtube videos is so much food variety.

We don't just got cereal, we got a cereal AISLE.

My favorite Asian store has a soy sauce AISLE :lol:
  • RelCanonical
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I watch UK Fat Doctor on Youtube and also Supersize Vs Superskinny where they have to eat each others foods.
    I also watch my600 lbs life on Youtube. Did anyone eat normal home cooked food and get to 600lbs?
    Also like looking at american grocery shop Youtube videos is so much food variety.

We don't just got cereal, we got a cereal AISLE.

My favorite Asian store has a soy sauce AISLE :lol:

Totes jelly! Our local Asian food store is tiny.