How to get out of feeling like you’re in a rut?

Options
Hi ladies!

I’m a 29 (almost 30) year old professional lady who has been feeling very restless and blah a majority of the past two years.

On paper, my life looks great! I have tons of friendships that are exciting and fulfilling, an active social life, busy workout schedule, good job and awesome coworkers. I worked really hard the past 2 years after a bad breakup to get my life in a good place, professionally and personally. I made lots of friends, committed to a workout schedule, got myself out of a very toxic workplace and into a much healthier one, travelled a lot, started yoga and am shortly moving out of my parents into an apartment with my bestie! So I am very, very grateful for all I have.

I SHOULD be happy but most of the time, I’m kinda just cruising through. I do struggle with terrible anxiety and depression a lot of the time (which I address) and having a demanding desk job makes it (IMO much worse). It’s SO first world but I’m jealous of my friends who are from wealthy families and either work for a family business or don’t work at all. I feel like I’d be more well adjusted if I had a flexible work schedule. Also living in a place where it’s cold majority of the year doesn’t help.

I feel like I’m maybe stuck in a rut? Or maybe it’s just a phase that will pass? Any been in a similar boat or have any suggestions?

Replies

• huddleup
    huddleup Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I can so relate to what you are going through. I have so much to be thankful for but take so much of it for granted. I call it the "grass is greener syndrome". I tend to compare myself to others, weight, active lifestyle, spiritual maturity, etc.

I'm seeing a counselor for this very reason. So far what I have from the sessions is "keep moving". When you don't want to get up in the morning, just keep moving. When you don't want to go to a boring job, just keep moving. When you don't want to get on the treadmill, just keep moving, even if it is only 5 minutes. So far the advice is helping me face the day. I'm not to the point I feel free but hopefully I'll get there.

Good Luck to you on your journey. Friend me if you'd like.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I was in the same unhappy place a few years ago, so I joined a martial arts class and threw myself into becoming a nerd about that. I buy technology constantly, I love new tech. We started travel plans and went to Japan. I became a super fan of a band I found. Just gotta find something that triggers those excitement impulses in your brain.

Also look around at what jobs are out there. Just because your workplace isn't toxic doesn't mean its the best place for you.