Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Caster Semenya :thoughts?

Options
comptonelizabeth
comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
I've been following this with interest and would love to hear other people's views

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/48102479

Replies

• kathryn1391
    kathryn1391 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I think its insane. I don't have the mental energy to contribute much to be honest, it just frustrates me.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    I think its insane. I don't have the mental energy to contribute much to be honest, it just frustrates me.

I know what you mean! I seem to switch back and forth with my thoughts but think it's pretty outrageous that in order to continue competing as a woman, she'll have to take medication!
  • kathryn1391
    kathryn1391 Posts: 100 Member
    Options

I know what you mean! I seem to switch back and forth with my thoughts but think it's pretty outrageous that in order to continue competing as a woman, she'll have to take medication!

That's just it. Its her body, her hormones, how can you actually say that to compete, the amount of hormones she naturally creates needs to be adjusted? Its like saying to a pro footballer that their natural ability to focus is unfair on others so wear an eye patch.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,255 Member
    Options
    Do women athletes who have naturally low levels of hormones get to supplement in order to compete 'equally'?
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    I think one of the issues is that chromosonally, she is XY and therefore male, even though she was raised as, and identifies as, female. Which opens a whole new can of worms. I can understand that other women competing may feel she has an unfair advantage but as you point out, so do others - eg if you're lucky enough to have long legs, that gives you an advantage in long jump.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Do women athletes who have naturally low levels of hormones get to supplement in order to compete 'equally'?
    I have no idea but somehow doubt it!

• Cutemesoon
    Cutemesoon Posts: 2,646 Member
    Options
    I think i'm not on any side of this issue. I feel REALLY bad for her! I have since she was thrown into the spotlight a few years ago. One one hand, she cannot help the way she was born. On the other hand, does having too much testosterone give her an unfair advantage over the athletes she competes against? It's just awful that her personal business was publicized.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,255 Member
    Options
    I think one of the issues is that chromosonally, she is XY and therefore male, even though she was raised as, and identifies as, female. Which opens a whole new can of worms. I can understand that other women competing may feel she has an unfair advantage but as you point out, so do others - eg if you're lucky enough to have long legs, that gives you an advantage in long jump.

I don't believe the results of Caster's sex verification test were ever released?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

I don't believe the results of Caster's sex verification test were ever released?

I'm almost positive you're correct. Yes she's intersex, but chromosomal tests haven't been released from what I understand and I personally don't think they should be for privacy's sake (and because it doesn't matter). I've been following this from the beginning and I'm livid on her behalf and the behalf of everyone who is affected by this.
  • comptonelizabeth
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

I'm almost positive you're correct. Yes she's intersex, but chromosomal tests haven't been released from what I understand and I personally don't think they should be for privacy's sake (and because it doesn't matter). I've been following this from the beginning and I'm livid on her behalf and the behalf of everyone who is affected by this.

I'm not sure where I heard she is XY, apologies as I had the impression this was true.
    I suspect some people involved may have their own agenda but I share your outrage!
  • Nova
    Nova Posts: 9,919 MFP Staff
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for closing this topic.

The forum guidelines include this item:

12. Divisive topics work best in groups

I WILL:
    • I will use groups to post divisive topics.
    • I will be proud of my diversity and respectful of the diversity of our global community.
    • I will ask myself if my discussion is relevant only to a particular group, for example, a specific religion or political view, and post that content in an appropriate group.

I WON'T:
    • I won’t post divisive topics in the main forums.
    • I won’t exclude any groups when posting in the main forums.
    • I won’t post politics in the main forums.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this closed discussion may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Nova
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.