Gaining muscle as an endomorph

Hi everyone. First post on here after having the app for years. Just wondered what everyone's experiences are gaining muscle as someone who tends to gain fat easily. I've always had the body type which gains fat very easily. Therefore gaining muscle and eating over maintenance has always been scary. How do you guys go about this?

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Maintain a small surplus and keep progressing on your weights. If you gain fat too fast, your surplus is probably too high or you aren't lifting effectively. How much are you aiming to gain per week? What is your program like?
  • levibuttigieg
    levibuttigieg Posts: 24 Member
    Maintain a small surplus and keep progressing on your weights. If you gain fat too fast, your surplus is probably too high or you aren't lifting effectively. How much are you aiming to gain per week? What is your program like?

I've just started back after a couple of weeks off. I'm enjoying push, pull, legs sessions atm. 5x5 and some other low rep range work for strength. I'll add in some battle ropes and skipping a couple of times per week too. Obviously I don't mind a small amount of fat gain but I'm trying a few hundred cals over maintenance atm and seeing what happens! Thanks for your reply
  • David7881
    David7881 Posts: 34 Member
    @levibuttigieg I'm on the same road as you. Gotten BF down but trying to pack on some mass without bring the BF up. So far I'm trying clean eating, increase in lifting (weight) and a 350 caloric increase a day and seeing how my body reacts to it. Add me. Looking for more people with the same struggle and goal.
  • tanasta2
    tanasta2 Posts: 19 Member
    edited May 2019
    nkzard wrote: »
    It might be a controversial opinion, but I think it's your training that's probably the problem. 5x5 and strength programs are not the most efficient for building visible muscles on your physique. I would sort the training out to a more bodybuilding style and push harder so you need the calories. Add in a bit of cardio and most importantly a CLEAN diet, and only then will you minimize fat gain but not stop it. Good luck bro you'll make it.

Not sure why you are being downvoted. I think people who says bro-split/bodybuilding style training don't work, never actually tried them personally the right way. Of course don't do 40 sets for your biceps and triceps like Kai Greene who is a genetic elite with supraphysiological amount of hormonal support, adjust your volume based on your recovery.

I can understand it though, most people today start training with 5x5 and see great gains but when it is actually just newbie gains, and they associate bro-splits with drug users from Youtube videos and other platform. So, their mind automatically thinks that 5x5, 5-3-1, etc are the best way to gain muscle when in most cases it is not. Hypertrophy occurs mostly in 8-12 rep ranges and volume is the main driver for hypertrophy. You can actually be natural and make amazing gains with bro-split as a NATURAL.

I have always been saying this. Train according to your goals. If you wanna jump high, train like a basketball player. If you wanna be strong in 3 major lifts, train like a power-lifter. If you wanna be as strong as possible, train like a strongman. If you wanna gain the maximum amount of muscle you possibly can, then train like a bodybuilder.

People wonder why they can't build their pecs when all the do is do one or five-rep max on a bench. Duh. It just does not make sense to train like a power-lifter and then expecting the most muscle gain you can possibly obtain. The steroids argument is false. Elite-level power-lifters take drugs too. Of course adjust your intensity and volume as I said earlier.

• tanasta2
    tanasta2 Posts: 19 Member
    edited May 2019
    You said it yourself. 6-12 rep ranges. So, you are basically agreeing with me in this point, not sure what you're fussing about. Lifts in lower rep ranges (1-5) can be helpful to get past strength plateau but they shouldn't be the majority of your workout. The guy above isn't really wrong to say that 5x5 isn't maximum for optimum muscle gain.

Who says you can't hit a muscle group more than once per week in a bro-split? Again everyone can believe whatever they want. Bro-splits get bad reps but I made great progress using bro-splits as a natural, and I knew some natural bodybuilders that have done so as well.

The best bodybuilders train like a bodybuilder. The best powerlifters train like a powerlifter. I'll leave it at this.
  • levibuttigieg
    levibuttigieg Posts: 24 Member
    nkzard wrote: »
    It might be a controversial opinion, but I think it's your training that's probably the problem. 5x5 and strength programs are not the most efficient for building visible muscles on your physique. I would sort the training out to a more bodybuilding style and push harder so you need the calories. Add in a bit of cardio and most importantly a CLEAN diet, and only then will you minimize fat gain but not stop it. Good luck bro you'll make it.

Thanks for the response man. I appreciate the feedback.