I really screwed up

Options
I've been doing great for several months. Tracking and staying within my calories most days and doing Pilates every day. Last night I got a craving for pizza. I fought it at first, but then ordered a 10" planning to eat only 2 pieces. I ate the entire thing with a whole bottle of wine. WTF?? Felt sick afterwards and beating myself up about it now. :-(

Replies

• Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Oh I feel for you. I had a great February and march but stalled over April. Got frustrated and now been at the biscuits and crisps. Can't seem to snap out of it :'(
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Happens. But every day is a new day to start fresh. Can't change what happened yesterday but certainly you can do better today. Be good.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I've been doing great for several months. Tracking and staying within my calories most days and doing Pilates every day. Last night I got a craving for pizza. I fought it at first, but then ordered a 10" planning to eat only 2 pieces. I ate the entire thing with a whole bottle of wine. WTF?? Felt sick afterwards and beating myself up about it now. :-(

Those single days won't hurt you in the long run. Log it and move on. I logged over 7000 calories in a single day when I was (trying) to stay in a deficit. And I did stay in a deficit for that week as well.

The next time you are in the mood for pizza, you could go pick up prepared slices, order a smaller one to share, eat a big salad.... or just resist the temptation to overeat that thing you enjoy so much. Or if it's worth it to you, do like I sometimes do. Go earlier in the day, do some serious endurance cardio, and earn enough exercise calories to eat more pizza without guilt.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are feeling so bad, but you shouldn't! Log it and move on. I have pizza 1-2 times a week with wine or beer. I plan for it and stick to two pieces of pizza and two glasses of wine or one beer. It's usually around 900 calories (600 for the pizza and 300 for the wine).

In my personal experience only, I find enjoyment from being able to plan for large calorie "non-diet" meals. They keep me from binging because it's within my calorie count but it feels so decadent.

Be kind to yourself! One "bad" meal is just a tiny blip on the whole journey.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Don't worry. The main thing is not to give up x
  • babejnr
    babejnr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wouldn’t worry about one pizza - I actually think looking at calories week to week rather than day to day is better as who doesn’t want a pizza on a weekend. So I reckon you will have achieved being in a deficit over the cours of the week. Do not feel guilty, back on track today. X
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Y'know, sometimes splurging can actually work FOR you and not against you. It seems to shock the system, and if you get back with the program quickly, can actually spur weight loss for you. I was in a slight plateau phase at one time, and that's how I broke it. One humungous meal, a day way over my goal calorie count, and the weight started to come off again. So maybe it's a win-win for you! A great meal followed by weight loss in a day or two! Always think positively! lol ;-)
  • Ducks47
    Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It’s ok. Life and learn. We, as humans, are bound to do things imperfectly. You enjoyed it and had a nice meal. I’d say the only thing to do is get back on the horse. A pizza is probably 1300 calories roughly and a bottle of wine (I’m guessing) 500, so you may be bloated the next day or have less weight loss (if that’s your goal) this week, but it will be ok. Good luck!!
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I have totally eaten entire pizzas before.

Its OK. *kitten* happens. You'll be fine as long as you don't get so depressed that you just quit.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    P.S. another school of thought is that pizza is a “trigger food” for you and that one serving will inevitably lead to binging. Wine could be, too. A lot of people successfully eliminate a few foods like this because they know that once the seal is broken, it will all get consumed. I’m this way with alcohol, so I have cut it out completely for now. I’ve managed pizza and other foods I tend to overeat by the method I described in my previous reply. I’d recommend trying this first; making foods off-limits is a last resort.

Not sure why the woo, I thought this + your previous post was excellent advice.

• lauragreenbaum
    lauragreenbaum Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Pizza is a trigger food for me. It's my favorite "comfort" food. It has so many calories I rarely have it, but when I do, well....last night happens. I like your idea of not keeping it off limits. As long as I only have 2 pieces I can work it in once in a while and stay under my calories. I've been totally back on track today- went to Pilates, took my dog to the park, and am well within my calories so far. Joining a friend for dinner and I've already looked at the menu and going to order a salad with grilled chicken. Thanks very much for all the support!