Stalled Weight

Options
thelifeilove1
thelifeilove1 Posts: 195 Member
edited May 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
My weight loss stalled at around 9/2018 after dropping approximately 60 pounds over the prior 15 months; this being slightly more than half my goal weight to drop. Two things happened at around the same time. I was at last able to start a fitness regimen and turned to biking; in pleasant weather (no precip/little wind) averaging 50-60 miles per week. Also, at the same time a doctor's visit which showed a greatly improved A1C caused me to request of my doctor a reduction in my prescription meds. We dropped the Januvia. Since then hardly any weight has been lost though I log daily and eat at or near my goal of 1200, but eat back some of my burned calories as well. So last week we restarted a combined Januvia/Metformin (Janumet) in hopes this will change the metabolism (overproduction of glycogen) and jumpstart the downward momentum again. Anyone else experienced anything such as this?

Replies

• Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    How are you tracking your food? Are you weighing it? If not then its possible you have gotten away with it up until this point, but the less you have to lose the more precise you need to be.
  • thelifeilove1
    Options
    Though I don't use the scale each time any longer, if its something I frequently eat, I'm pretty good at keeping the amount where it needs to be and enter my recipes in the recipe section to determine the right amounts. Otherwise, yes I use a digital food scale or a measuring cup as appropriate.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Though I don't use the scale each time any longer, if its something I frequently eat, I'm pretty good at keeping the amount where it needs to be and enter my recipes in the recipe section to determine the right amounts. Otherwise, yes I use a digital food scale or a measuring cup as appropriate.

i'd go back to 100% food scale given you say you haven't moved in a few weeks. i would also double check entires used (are they for raw VS cooked? is it a good entry or not? lots of errors in there). it's an easy thing to double check.

If you changed any exercise routine it could be muscles retaining water.

but also, a few weeks at the same weight isn't unusual. weight loss is not linear.

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    There have been studies which found that people who lost weight on metformin (which has an off label use as a diet drug) promptly regained it when they stopped taking it. It works as an appetite suppressant for some people.

You are also doing new activities which can cause your muscles to retain water, masking weight loss.

Also, I’m not that familiar with Januvia, but doesn’t it have a diuretic effect? Stopping it would also lead to water weight gain.
  • thelifeilove1
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Also, I’m not that familiar with Januvia, but doesn’t it have a diuretic effect? Stopping it would also lead to water weight gain.

No, I don't think Januvia has a diuretic element to it. It just works with the pancreas on insulin production and on the liver to discourage the overproduction of glycocin which becomes fat if overproduced by the body.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

Start using your scale for everything again. No matter how good you think you are at eyeballing portion sizes you are likely not as exact as you need to be, most of us arent. When people stop using a scale portion creep can become an issue. While measuring cups are okay in some situations, I would still weigh calorie dense liquids such as oils, dressings, and sauces. Also, be sure that you are even weighing prepackaged foods as the nutrition information can be off on those too. Most of the time when people's weight loss stalls it has something to do with their logging, so make these changes and see where you are in a few weeks.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Have you taken any planned diet breaks?
  • thelifeilove1
    edited May 2019
    Options

Other than a failed day here and there, no. I have learned it’s too easy for the break to be the end of discipline. I’ve committed to this lifestyle from necessity, I cannot stop; this must be for life.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Other than a failed day here and there no. I have learned it’s too easy for the break to be the end of discipline. I’ve committed to this lifestyle from necessity. I cannot stop.

A diet break isn't really a "stop". You just plan to eat at maintenance level instead of in a deficit, everything else stays the same. It's certainly not a free for all. It can give your hormones a chance to balance, as well as provide a psychological break. Eating at a deficit for a long period of time is stressful on your body and your mind. You will have to be able to eat at maintenance for the rest of your life, so practicing it on occasion while losing the weight can helpful. Being able to continue your good habits past goal weight and into eating maintenance is often the key to not gaining weight back.

If you're interested, there's a thread about it:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1
  • thelifeilove1
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Other than a failed day here and there no. I have learned it’s too easy for the break to be the end of discipline. I’ve committed to this lifestyle from necessity. I cannot stop.

A diet break isn't really a "stop". You just plan to eat at maintenance level instead of in a deficit, everything else stays the same. It's certainly not a free for all. It can give your hormones a chance to balance, as well as provide a psychological break. Eating at a deficit for a long period of time is stressful on your body and your mind. You will have to be able to eat at maintenance for the rest of your life, so practicing it on occasion while losing the weight can helpful. Being able to continue your good habits past goal weight and into eating maintenance is often the key to not gaining weight back.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1

• thelifeilove1
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    [quote=

A diet break isn't really a "stop". You just plan to eat at maintenance level instead of in a deficit, everything else stays the same

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10604863/of-refeeds-and-diet-breaks/p1[/quote]

[/quote]

I will read this thread later. Though not by design, this past 7 months has been like maintenance I should think. It’s just I wish I could add back a few calories for that period; obviously, I can not, unless my diabetes medication does make a difference. From the looks of things this past week, though, I think it is. The scale seems to be moving again.