weightloss after 40 experiences?

Options
Hey guys,

hope everyone's doing great. I'm back with myfitnesspal and logging after a 3-year hiatus - and lo and behold, I've celebrated the big 4-0 in the meantime. ;-)

I'd like to get from 73 kg down to 65 kg (I'm 1,65 / 5'5''), and you know how they all say that it's harder to lose after 40.

Anyone on here with advice or travelling on the same path? Things to avoid or try out?

I have a desk-job, but love exercising and combine yoga, weights, Muay Thai during the week, in addition to cycling during the warmer months. I exercise at least three times per week.

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Replies

• krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Welcome to over 40! I'm over 50 and did not find it harder to lose weight in my 50s.
    My tools:
    1) using a food scale for everything
    2) daily weighing
    3) my fitbit - helped me understand my total daily energy burn and how moving more throughout the day is way more impactful than a short burst of intentional exercise in my overall picture.
    4) experimenting with different food combinations to boost satiety and adherence. I didn't change the way I eat per se. I just closely monitor what I eat.
    5) eating at a modest calorie deficit. I averaged a little over 1/2 lb per week.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Another <way> over 40 chick and I'm doing just fine. I've lost about 22lbs in 9 weeks.
  • lioness2307
    lioness2307 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    lulehlu wrote: »
    Nope, it’s not harder. I am doing it at 41. I eat in a deficit and I move. I lose weight. It works the same for us oldies as it does for the youngsters.

he he, and I also think that 40 is the new 30. Don't think we'll ever be oldies.;-)
  • lioness2307
    lioness2307 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    krael65 wrote: »
    Welcome to over 40! I'm over 50 and did not find it harder to lose weight in my 50s.
    My tools:
    1) using a food scale for everything
    2) daily weighing
    3) my fitbit - helped me understand my total daily energy burn and how moving more throughout the day is way more impactful than a short burst of intentional exercise in my overall picture.
    4) experimenting with different food combinations to boost satiety and adherence. I didn't change the way I eat per se. I just closely monitor what I eat.
    5) eating at a modest calorie deficit. I averaged a little over 1/2 lb per week.

Thank you for this - and thanks to everyone for their thoughts!

1.Yes, having started logging again I notice that I tend to consume slightly more than I thought I did (thus not maintaining a caloric deficit), so I am looking forward to just being more mindful about my eating habits and portions and to closely monitor my daily calories.

2. Mindset. So important. thank you for your thoughts on this. I also believe that a lot of this is in your head. You can achieve anything if you put your mind to it and adopt the right mind-set.

3. Fitbit - thanks, I have heard of it but have never used one. Will look into it.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Age 64 here, age isn’t a factor so long as all the other elements for success are in place and consistently practiced.

@pjwrt, our starting and ending weights are near identical. Like your “watch my weight like a mad man.” That’s me. Great middle-aged men fitness dudes think alike.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Nope, it’s not harder. I am doing it at 41. I eat in a deficit and I move. I lose weight. It works the same for us oldies as it does for the youngsters.

he he, and I also think that 40 is the new 30. Don't think we'll ever be oldies.;-)

:D I'm 68 and my definition of "old" is at least 10 years older than I am when I happen to think about it!

I lost 50 pounds between ages 66-67, and really it wasn't any harder than losing weight when I was younger. I've been in maintenance for over a year so I'm confident that making sure I'm eating appropriately for my activity works at any age :)
  • Vmizzy
    Vmizzy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am again back here after a break. I was here in my 40s and it worked, I am now here in my 50s and it still works! I am actually finding it a bit easier, I am not out running around with my friends and making fun but poor food and drink decisions. I am more disciplined now and don't seem to mind the exercise portion as much. It's not easy but it is easier. Plus I am doing it for myself now instead of trying to impress others, that takes a lot of pressure off for sure!
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    69 year old female here and very pleased with MFP. Have lost 6.6 pounds in one month of tracking. I also bought into the myth that it is harder to lose weight as we get older. I think portion control and healthy food choices makes a big difference.
  • EmBeatie
    EmBeatie Posts: 33 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Like most people I guess, I find weight a lot easier to put on, but not harder to lose no. My method was to cut the easiest things first. When I say cut them, I mean by about 80%, not completely, but they're now an occasional treat rather than a daily habit. I used to drink a coke a day, I lost 30 pounds just by ditching those. The next thing to go was other sugary drinks, so coffee, tea (now use sweeteners) and fruit juice, that was a few more pounds. Next was sugary & savory snacks, so chocolate, cakes etc, just don't have them in the house, so less temptation.

So I've gone in less than a year from about 190 pounds to 138 pounds now, which was my target weight, and I'm still losing at about the recommended 1 pound a week. So I don’t feel I’ve really had to diet at all, in terms of restrictions or going hungry, I’ve just ditched the peripherals that add loads of calories without filling you up or adding anything in terms of nutrition. The only big calorie hits I have now are cheese, peanut butter and butter (usually light butter), but at least I can justify two of those in terms of protein and hunger dampening (supposedly).

You’re a similar height, slimmer than I was and do more exercise than me, but if you don’t have a sweet tooth maybe it’s harder to find stuff to “easily” cut (although I still pine for sugar). On the loose skin thing, I’ve lost about 50 pounds so I’m not sure if that’s enough to cause those problems? But I haven’t noticed it and my skin isn’t elastic, although I did lose weight because it was starting to affect my health rather than because of my appearance.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options

Oldies?!?

Old is not a curse, it's a blessing.

Consider the actual alternative: It isn't youth. Aging is neither a synonym for disability, nor an excuse to coast.

OP, another vote for "not that hard". I lost 50ish pounds at age 59-60 (menopausal, hypothyroid), and have maintained a healthy weight since (5'5", 130s). Now 63.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Lost my 115-ish pounds all after 40. Kept it off for almost five years. Calorie deficit and patience.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I'm 53 and have lost 25. I'm now 3 pounds away from goal weight. Anyone can do it if you decrease your calories.
    An extra 100 calories a day can add up to 10 pounds in one year. And 100 calories is easy to consume.
    My only hindrance I would say is that i definitely have less energy these days.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    The big difference for me was that it was harder to use vigorous exercise to burn calories. It was in my 40s that I first started getting injured when I pushed too hard. It’s worse in my 50’s but by now I know enough not to push it.