What are your must-haves?

Options
Curious to know! What are your "must-have foods". The ones you always keep with you JUST IN CASE or that you eat regularly? What are your favorites? The foods you routinely eat?

For me, I am most successful in a stable routine. Therefore, I eat similar items each day. I order all of my meals from Freshly for the week, and bring one meal to work with me each day. I get 6 meals per week and usually go out to eat once a week. I filter my meal options on their website to show lowest calorie to highest and stick with meals that are 500 cals or less. I always keep at least two Starkist tuna salad meals in my car just in case something unexpected happens and my plans change, then I have a fallback. I have kids at home and buy their snacks in bulk, keeping in mind the amount of calories they all have so that I can have some, too. We get the individual bags of Goldfish, the dipped rice krispy treat bite things, Lucky Charms softbaked marshmallow blondies, and I get the Kar's Sweet and Salty trail mix, also individually wrapped. I like to purchase them already individually wrapped because the calories are right on the bags and its super easy for me to just scan the code and add them. Another go-to for me is the Sargento Sweet Balanced breaks. I also love my Diet Mt. Dew!

Would like to broaden my options, though and I am super interested to learn about some other great products out there!

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I love Chapman's ice creams for my sweet tooth. I'll buy the sorbets semi-regularly (80cal per serving), we've been having the popsicles in the house since my mom's been relying on them post-surgery, and recently I've had the mini ice cream bars. And I recently discovered the Creamy Ranch Crispy Minis, all the taste of Dorito's Cool Ranch and doesn't sit hard on my stomach later.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Just in case: a bucket of Lindor chocolates. I have at most two in a day. They ease my frantic chocolate cravings.

Every day foods... I'm not sure. It's all pretty random. When we were poor, like really really poor, we ate gyoza most days. $25 for enough ingredients to feed us for three or more days. I still love it. My favorite food.

Oh, I guess rice is a staple here. We buy it in huge bags once a year and eat it with quite a few meals.
  • gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I always have peanut butter in the house for dessert, and cheese and crackers as well.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    It might sound a little weird but for me it's breakfast foods. Eggs, whole wheat bread with a low calorie count (50-70 per slice), various types of jam, peanut butter, Greek yogurt, fruit, veggie sausages, coffee/tea, etc.

Not just to eat for breakfast, but to fill in for a quick lunch or dinner or late evening snack that is reasonably healthy and can be pretty low calorie depending on the combination of items. I have been "saved" so many times from grabbing fast food by the prospect of a quick open-faced egg sandwich with mayo & pickles at 10 PM when coming home from an event or concert feeling really hungry. A multi-grain toaster waffle with a little lemon curd always sounds good when I'm dying for dessert, and while it may not be as immediately satisfying as a Snickers bar, it's way lower calories and it's already in the house.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    It might sound a little weird but for me it's breakfast foods. Eggs, whole wheat bread with a low calorie count (50-70 per slice), various types of jam, peanut butter, Greek yogurt, fruit, veggie sausages, coffee/tea, etc.

Not just to eat for breakfast, but to fill in for a quick lunch or dinner or late evening snack that is reasonably healthy and can be pretty low calorie depending on the combination of items. I have been "saved" so many times from grabbing fast food by the prospect of a quick open-faced egg sandwich with mayo & pickles at 10 PM when coming home from an event or concert feeling really hungry. A multi-grain toaster waffle with a little lemon curd always sounds good when I'm dying for dessert, and while it may not be as immediately satisfying as a Snickers bar, it's way lower calories and it's already in the house.

I have been making oatmeal pumpkin waffles lately. I top them with a pumpkin cream cheese spread that I make. They make a great breakfast or a quick dessert/snack.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Staples I always have in our house:
    Eggs
    Greens-spinach, kale, chard
    Cauliflower
    Chicken
    Salmon - smoked or fresh

I find the above versatile and quick to make!
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    My current staples-
    lots of veggies, both fresh and frozen
    frozen berries
    cottage cheese
    various cheeses-Parmesan, co-jack, string cheese etc
    frozen salmon and shrimp
    several cuts of beef, pork and chicken (frozen)
    pistachios
    spices and low carb condiments
    eggs
    butter and olive oil
    black and green olives
    flavored Greek yogurt, for my green smoothies
  • Ldenzel
    Ldenzel Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Current Staples:
    Hard-boiled eggs
    Boom-chicka-pop Popcorn
    Jerky
    Lightly salted pistachios
    Ice cream (I buy the mini versions that are ~130 calories)
    Greek yogurt
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Ldenzel wrote: »
    Current Staples:
    Hard-boiled eggs
    Boom-chicka-pop Popcorn
    Jerky
    Lightly salted pistachios
    Ice cream (I buy the mini versions that are ~130 calories)
    Greek yogurt

I'm on a huge hard boiled egg kick right now-eat them with a bit of salt and then honey mustard, such a good snack :)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    Options
    Cottage chese (or 0% greek yogurt if my store is out of the cottage cheese I like)
    Eggs
    Pastry crisps
    Bananas
    Chocolate
    Various types of cookies
    Protein bars
    Butternut squash (took over the cantalope I was never without)
    Cereal
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    CHEESE! - This one is a must! I love cheese so much, I have some pretty much every day.
    Carrots - Love me some carrots!
    Frozen mixed greens - Easy to add to soups
    Eggs - not a super huge fan of them but they are a quick and easy source of protein
    Lindt Extreme mint dark chocolate - always have a bar or 2 in the pantry
    Chicken - I buy in bulk when it's on sale (Chicken is more expensive in Canada than the States), vacuum seal, and throw in freezer. Very quick and east to thaw and cook that way.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Big old tub of animal crackers, and dried fruit.
  • brundell7376
    brundell7376 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Chicken, Rice, Brussel Sprouts, Mushrooms, Almonds, Fiber One bars, eggs, Whey Protein and Whiskey on occasion (w/diet soda). Those are the essentials.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    a variety AND large quantity of fruits and veggies
    Hot potato chips
    a variety of green and exotics teas
    WATER and lots of it (not because I "have" to drink it, but because I LOVE drinking water so much)
    a variety of green and black olives
    a variety of nuts and seeds
    mango and lemon sorbets
    chocolate and mint chocolate ice creams
    homemade egg & tuna salads (LOADED with real mayo, mustard, wasabi mayo, diced bell pepper, celery, onion, scallions, pickle relish, lots of boiled eggs and sprinkled w/paprika)
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I get the Market Pantry "carb-conscious" tortillas from Target. They super cheap for low-calorie tortillas, I think they honestly taste better to my palate than regular tortillas, and they're just the right size. I'll make a special trip for them. I'll use them for regular tacos but also for breakfast burritos and sweet treats (I put butter and sugar on them).
  • jerrybrailsford
    jerrybrailsford Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Chicken, Rice, Brussel Sprouts, Mushrooms, Almonds, Fiber One bars, eggs, Whey Protein and Whiskey on occasion (w/diet soda). Those are the essentials.

of course..with diet soda
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    My current staples are:

Bananas
    Oranges
    Spinach
    Quinoa
    Avocados
    Dave's killer bread
    Almond milk
    Chocolate almond milk
    Oats
    Walnuts
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    At my house we love apples. I also usually make sure we have lunch meat, eggs, lettuce/greens, frozen and/or fresh vegetables. We usually have lots of rice on hand because I make my dogs food. I'll pre-cook some ground beef or turkey and freeze in portions for quick meals. Keep canned chicken and soup/ramen and pasta in the pantry.
  • sammidelvecchio
    sammidelvecchio Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Coffee
    Protein powder
    Jif-to-go
    Eggs (probably my #1 staple)
    Single serving tuna packets
    Coke zero

I also always prep a good portion of meat on sundays for the week. Some weeks its ground beef, some weeks its shredded chicken. I add that to scrambled eggs for dinners all week long.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    Eggs, butter, beef, bacon, cheese, & peanut butter.