For Success, What Mentally Changed For You?

2»

Replies

• AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Planning my menus!
  • I was getting very little done on my own before a friend suggested a weight loss program she was on and all I had to do was snwer a few questions on a form online and I got a one on one meeting and they gave me a plan and I have been doing it for 4 months and the results are great. I would recommend it, but I only know of it in my country. It really helped me change myself completely mentally and physically get me closer to where I want to be. Sticking with it and the amazing people who help me :)
  • eromligyppah
    eromligyppah Posts: 112 Member
    In the past I had lost weight for others. This time I'm changing my body to how I want it for once.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    The change was that it went from a "want to be thinner, want to wear specific clothing" mentality to "I want to be around for a long time, feel energetic, and reduce my risk for chronic health issues". Once I could feel the difference, I was hooked.
  • mkm81
    mkm81 Posts: 34 Member
    Thank you all! These are great!
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Heard this saying a few days ago and thought it summed up my weight loss, this time.

"Sucess is a journey, not a destination.

Failure isn't fatal, as long as we have the courage to continue" with our "healthy" journey.

Finding out my maintenance calorie allowance and calorie cycling. Helps me stay at a healthy weight and still fit in "life" and special occasions.

Since finding & using all MFP has to offer (for free), as money's tight.

Have successfully lost 52lb and more importantly, have stayed at/around this healthy goal. Daily logging through "ups and downs".

1,127 day streak and after 30 years, I've finally stopped regaining, as soon as I stopped "dieting". Longest my weight has been stable.

Learning about macros & healthy targets has also really helped with my overall health.
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Understanding PTSD and nasty flashbacks. Getting to grips with mental health (depression.) realizing my trigger foods and how to avoid them. Adapting macros eaten according to my needs and staying within the daily calories calculated by MFP. Stop thinking about yesterday and stop worrying about tomorrow. Take it day by day, meal by meal. Trust MFP and listen to those members who are supporting my efforts.
  • momefee
    momefee Posts: 66 Member
    I'm still working on my mindset, but I feel the change happening. I joke that I'm just finally starting to grow up! Really though it's allowing myself to feel okay that this MFP lifestyle can be a very slow process because I mess up and start fresh more than I would like to admit, I have committed to being here daily in 2019 good or bad. It has been wonderful! I love this community. I guess long story short, I have the rest of my life to track and maintain. It's not temporary, it's forever, and strangely that is comforting to me. (I'm down 14 lbs in 5 months...slow, but I'm here)
  • dtmwed
    dtmwed Posts: 130 Member
    1. Meal prep. It honestly was the biggest thing when it came to success. I knew my portions. Wouldn't try to eat more and I knew if I had wiggle room or not. I would skip something if I knew there was cake at work and even then I would take a WAY smaller slice then I normally would.
    2. Seeing food as a need and not a want. I need to eat x,y,z not I want to eat a pint of ice cream. My relationship with food changed. It was replaced with doing things around the house, exercise, and the best just time with the kids.
    3. Finally, having the internal motivation to succeed. I get a lot of temptation at work because we get A TON of free treats at my clinic. It's easy to understand why people in healthcare are overweight. We barely get time to stop and eat and when we do the easiest things were the unhealthiest thing. When a patient screams at you then look there is the Chocolates someone brought to comfort you. If I didn't have the internal motivation I wouldn't fallen off the horse many time.
    4. Getting back on the horse after a short time. There would be weeks were the scale wouldn't move and I would have more whatever than I should. Then the next day I would just get back on like it never happened.
  • AmberLeeMichigan
    AmberLeeMichigan Posts: 38 Member
    For me, it's been EMDR therapy for PTSD. It helped me to connect the dots and see how bad my relationship with food was. Growing up, food was my source of comfort - it was the only thing that made me feel better. Every time I became emotional or stressed, I would binge. We were made to clear our plates growing up as well, so I had a hard time throwing food away. Now, I only eat until I'm full, which has been a huge change for me. If there is enough left, I will save the food for the next day. If it's not enough to save, I throw it away. I'm looking forward to starting meal prepping as well after I hit the grocery store this weekend :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    So interesting how different people take different mental approaches to their success. Seeing food as a need AND acknowledging it as a valid want that I shouldn't be ashamed of was one of the things that helped me succeed. The sooner I stopped fighting the fact that dieting doesn't change the fact that I'm a human with feelings and desires, the sooner I was able to make peace with any feelings or desires that came up while dieting.
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    I think this is a very interesting and important topic to weight loss: the mental change. It's common knowledge that exercise and diet leads to success but A LOT (if not most) is a mental fight to get there.

If you were successful, what changed mentally during your journey and what helped you in that area?

I stopped making excuses for myself.

Gave myself a reality check and made a commitment to change my habits over time. Motivation only goes so far; you have to treat that like a "honeymoon" phase, understanding it will wear off; and then the real work begins. I had to be resolved in my decision to make the changes I wanted to see and achieve my goals through habits and routines. In-graining those into my every day life no longer seemed like a chore after some time, and then the results were met with that perseverance and mindset.
  • amayk
    amayk Posts: 42 Member
    The most important change was the "in it for life realisation" Diet isn't for short term, it's lifelong, only permanent changes leads to permanent results.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!