Outrun the fork ?

Options
Does anyone outrun the fork ? Tell me about it? I don’t want to hear from those that didn’t make it work lol I’m trying to figure out how I can splurge on the weekend but do intense workouts 6 days a week to make up for it.

Replies

• jackalita
    jackalita Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I wouldn’t say it’s excessive as I am able to maintain my weight with the way I have been eating and doing very moderate level activity 6 days a week for an hour or two. I’ve basically realized I’m not exercising very productively so if I step it up a notch I am wondering if I can offset my weekends. I love being active!

Splurge would mean 1-2X a week having pizza and a couple pints of beer. And possibly sharing a dessert. I definitely am sensitive to highly caloric food. I lost a bunch of weight too fast and gained some of it back. So no I’ve stabilized my weight BUT I am really struggling to keep within my calorie goals on the weekend. I am great during the week. These weekend splurges mean a net 0 loss but the good eating during the week and exercising each day makes it so I’m not gaining either.

I hear you on the injuries that’s how I gained my weight initially. So I don’t want to add in bad habits but I wish I could just let loose a little on the weekends and still loose weight....
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I save my long runs (1.5 hours) for Friday or Saturday Mornings. I usually have an increased appetite for a day or two afterwards and allow myself an indulgence or two. And by that I mean I went to Fudruckers last Friday and in addition to my burger I split a side of onions rings and a Shake with my husband. But even with all of that I still managed to keep a small deficit because of the long run.

I do that maybe once a week, but I still keep track, and I try to be mindful of what I put in my mouth.

I tried to put the long run in the middle of the week at first, but unless I also increase my calories around the same time instead of saving them for the weekend I’m so exhausted over the next two or three days that my other workouts suffer.
  • Scottgriesser
    Scottgriesser Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I lift mon/wed/fri, light cardio/flexibility training sunday/tues/thurs. I eat the exact same thing every one of those days and hit my mfp goals.

Saturdays are my wife and I's "splurge" day where we make some burgers, ribs, or pizza and have some beer. Saturday mornings I go for a long enough run to fit the above caloric intake under my budget.

Been doing it for months. It is possible.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I do the opposite but the same?

When I know I have a big training day (eg brick session of 2hr bike, 45min run or a 3hr+ bike ride etc) that will burn a lot of calories then I wait until that day to treat myself to the more calorific foods or drinks that I enjoy as I know I’ll need the extra calories to refuel and it means I don’t ‘miss’ these foods from my life. I still get to eat them I just maybe have to wait a day or two.
    Then on less active days it’s easier to stick to my calorie goals as it’s not like I’m putting foods on a ‘black list’ or disallowing myself to eat them.

If you underfuel your body before or immediately after a workout you’re likely to notice it and not feel great so don’t take things to the extreme. It does depend on your definition of an ‘intense workout’ too since everyone’s perception of this will be different.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Thanks for sharing @NorthCascades, I like peanut butter, it’s a staple in my fueling station.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    jackalita wrote: »
    Does anyone outrun the fork ? Tell me about it? I don’t want to hear from those that didn’t make it work lol I’m trying to figure out how I can splurge on the weekend but do intense workouts 6 days a week to make up for it.

Define "splurge." ;)

Also, look up exercise bulimia.

Excessive exercise to offset excessive caloric intake only works until it doesn't. What's your backup plan in case of an injury, for example? Or if you just plain get sick and tired of your intense workouts?

Also, what are your overall goals? Are you looking to drop weight or just maintain your current weight?

When I was inured, I ate less. My appetite went down without all the exercise.

It's kind of like how I have a job right now, but one day I'll be retired. That doesn't mean I shouldn't have a job now! It means that the present and the future are different, and you can use appropriate strategies at different times.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options

Define "splurge." ;)

Excessive exercise to offset excessive caloric intake only works until it doesn't. What's your backup plan in case of an injury, for example? Or if you just plain get sick and tired of your intense workouts?

Also, what are your overall goals? Are you looking to drop weight or just maintain your current weight?

It's kind of like how I have a job right now, but one day I'll be retired. That doesn't mean I shouldn't have a job now! It means that the present and the future are different, and you can use appropriate strategies at different times.

This has been discussed in other threads, but it's interesting how exercise affects hunger. Exercise actually suppresses my hunger so when I'm NOT exercising I'm tempted to eat more.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I eat less when a. I'm not exercising and/or b. I'm extremely depressed. Mind you, while lots of people turn to food as a result of depression, lack of appetite is also a symptom of depression.

The first point is also probably part of why this whole splurging on weekends thing is not something I can relate to, at least not on Sundays. Through logging my food, it has become abundantly clear that I will eat more if I spend a lot of time out of the house (so Monday through Friday). It's not about temptation, it's that I'm actually more hungry because I'm moving more. Even though I row for two hours Saturday mornings, I typically will skip or eat a very light lunch (I eat breakfast half an hourish after I row).

I'm pretty sure I lost weight with my last two surgeries (that involved 6 weeks non-weight bearing and another 4 plus weeks before I could pedal with much resistance on the bike). I wasn't weight myself because balancing with all of my weight on one leg with my leg brace off so I could get an "accurate" weight is a terrible idea in that state. I mean the first three weeks I was sleeping as much if not more than I was awake because of all of the energy my body was spending healing bone. On top of that, I wasn't eating especially calorie dense food most of the times. I had a few meat pies which are definitely calorie dense (but really my body needed the calories), but otherwise it was my normal not especially exciting diet.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

Define "splurge." ;)

This has been discussed in other threads, but it's interesting how exercise affects hunger. Exercise actually suppresses my hunger so when I'm NOT exercising I'm tempted to eat more.

Excuse tends to suppress my appetite for a couple hours. It's the next day that I pay the piper.
  • jackalita
    jackalita Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

I'm pretty sure I lost weight with my last two surgeries (that involved 6 weeks non-weight bearing and another 4 plus weeks before I could pedal with much resistance on the bike).

Yes, when our bodies are injured they burn calories to heal.. so that may be part of it.
    Unfortunately when I am injured, I tend to eat my emotions. Working on that though....
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    Options
    Personally, from my own experience, trying to do intense workouts all week and staying in a calorie deficit simply doesn't work well. My hunger explodes, and if I try to cut to an appreciable deficit, my workouts suffer.

That being said, a more moderate workout during the week and some intense activity on the weekend (allowing a more indulgent meal on the weekend) has not seemed to hurt any progress I would otherwise expect to see.

The trick here is to manage the indulgence and don't consider it a free-for-all for days - it's one meal, not 3, and not for days afterwards.

I'm not losing quickly, or even trying to lose quickly - personally I have found the steady, but slow, loss more maintainable and less likely to affect my workouts/activities. I could stand to lose faster, it certainly wouldn't hurt me physically, but mentally slower seems easier and far more maintainable long term.