1 lbs gain per week

Options
2»

Replies

• mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Don't know what it's called but you stand in place and turn a few times? It's just at my gym not a doctor's office or anything....

I really don't want to be much heavier than 170 to 180 in the end, I'm just tired of looking like a scrawny twig all the time. So I think gradually getting there would be okay.

Not sure what kind of scan that is but I would find out and research what the margin of error will be.
  • inherentst0rm
    inherentst0rm Posts: 84 Member
    Options

mmapags wrote: »
    [

Not sure what kind of scan that is but I would find out and research what the margin of error will be.

It was called a Styku, it says I am at 22% BF which to me does sound more believable than my scale, but that is a HUGE difference!

It also says my BMR is 1775 calories but MFP says my maintenance calories are 2390....I thought BMR and maintenance were synonyms?

• mmapags
    Options
    [

It was called a Styku, it says I am at 22% BF which to me does sound more believable than my scale, but that is a HUGE difference!

It also says my BMR is 1775 calories but MFP says my maintenance calories are 2390....I thought BMR and maintenance were synonyms?

That makes sense. Sounds a little more realistic.

BMR and maintenance are 2 very different things. BMR is what you burn nearly to exist. If you were in a coma, you would burn your BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate. Maintenance calories are what you typically burn in a day of normal activity but without any intention exercise.
  • inherentst0rm
    inherentst0rm Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    [

That makes sense. Sounds a little more realistic.

BMR and maintenance are 2 very different things. BMR is what you burn nearly to exist. If you were in a coma, you would burn your BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate. Maintenance calories are what you typically burn in a day of normal activity but without any intention exercise.

Okay, that makes more sense, thank you! Also my strategy is to eat at maintenance to build muscle, but NOT eat back calories from working out to try and burn fat simultaneously, will that work or should I stay more aggressive with my weight loss and calorie deficit?
  • mmapags
    Options
    I think that's fine. Weight training doesn't burn more than a couple if hundred calories per session. You'll slowly lose some fat and gain some muscle. How much depends on how long you've been training.

You said you were doing Stronlifts 5x5. So, I'm assuming you started that as a beginner. PHUL will be a good program for you. Just don't expect miracle. If you can gain 1 lb. per month in muscle while dropping some fat and improving your physique, you'll be doing great. The whole muscle building thing is a slow process.

Do this for 6 weeks and assess. Did you drop fat? Did weight drop and if so at what rate? Make adjustments from there. You are at a decent overall weight for your height. Build some muscle and lean down. If you lose 5 lbs over the 6 weeks, no harm done. But up calories at that point to what you now know is your maintenance. At that point you have your own data that is based on your own experience. That will always be better than MFP, or anyone else's) averages.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would take a two week diet break to get back into this mentally and then come back with a smaller deficit and a better lifting program like PHUL or PHAT. The increases in volume and intensity will provide additional benefits and increase the possibility to gain muscle while i a deficit. Also, i would put protein around 150-170g to help.