How to break Sugar addiction

Options
adchak
adchak Posts: 62 Member
Pl help!!!
I am 5 ft 7 inches, 184 lbs and have lost 20 lbs last year. However my sugar addiction keeps gettg in the way as I make progress. My goal wt is 150 lbs and Im tryg to lose this slowly.
I go abt 7-10 days without sugar and them when I have it , it triggers me to have sugar again and again. Before you know Ive had a big choc cake for dessert 3-4 days in a row. I do 5:2 intermittent fasting to balance things out. I really need help to keep my addiction under control.
Should I eat a piece of dark choc everyday? What has helped ppl to break the addictiom? Would love to get some tips

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's not the sugar--it's the fat that goes with it. I've found eating nuts (careful they're calorie dense) will sometimes beat the craving. Low fat Greek yogurt with fruit or chocolate toppings or nuts, plus a little honey or marmalade can also work. Try different things to see what works for you, but as the other posters have said, you're probably restricting too much. That brings on binges. Don't worry, it's all trial and error to find what works best. Remember you want to keep the weight off and need to find a long term solution. Good luck.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's not the sugar--it's the fat that goes with it. I've found eating nuts (careful they're calorie dense) will sometimes beat the craving. Low fat Greek yogurt with fruit or chocolate toppings or nuts, plus a little honey or marmalade can also work. Try different things to see what works for you, but as the other posters have said, you're probably restricting too much. That brings on binges. Don't worry, it's all trial and error to find what works best. Remember you want to keep the weight off and need to find a long term solution. Good luck.

Do you know whats good, a sliced apple with a bit of peanut butter spread on each slice (so about 4 slices). If you need something fatty and sugary.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I find that eating a variety of different fruit helps me not to overeat sweets.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    I find that eating a variety of different fruit helps me not to overeat sweets.

This helped me, too.
  • adchak
    adchak Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am also a huge emotional eater so if I feel down or low I automatically reach for sugar. How do ppl control that? I had a strawberry shortbread cookie today and then 2 tiny pieces of cheesecake that were lying ard. Feeling so guilty!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    adchak wrote: »
    I am also a huge emotional eater so if I feel down or low I automatically reach for sugar. How do ppl control that? I had a strawberry shortbread cookie today and then 2 tiny pieces of cheesecake that were lying ard. Feeling so guilty!

I use to self-medicate with food but now I manage regular stress with regular exercise and unusual stress with extra exercise. Preferably outdoors. Love gardening season!