Vegan Keto

Options
Anyone else vegan keto? How is it going? Are you on the vegan keto reddit thread? I’m still working on getting it right

Replies

• magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'm not.
    I do best on a 'paleo-ish' gig that sorta verges on 'pegan' (Mark Hyman term, paleo-meets-vegan, meat as a condiment, eationg food that is actual food as opposed to food-like-substances engineered in food labs and involving extracted/isolated elements.)
    Just me, just my journey. I have a good friend who eats mostly oreos and he is 6 times the athlete I am.

but If I was going to attempt keto-vegan, I'd educate with the principles this guy uses:
    https://drwillcole.com/ketotarian/

I was under the impression that if you eat something and gain nutrition from it without becoming soon ill, that is food. Plus, isn't meat already violating this rule - maybe eating small things like crickets or rodents? Otherwise, I've never eaten the whole animal; I tend to eat meat as just parts (extracted/isolated elements) of the animal.

By that argument, if I eat half an avocado on my toast for breakfast, and stick the other half in the freezer for tomorrow's smoothie, the avocado is no longer part of a whole-food diet?

I don't know, I don't advocate whole foods diets.
    It seems to me saying you don't extract elements means the avocado was already off the menu because you remove the skin and the seed.
  • MissFoxyOne
    MissFoxyOne Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    interesting thanks for theinfo
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I'm not.
    I do best on a 'paleo-ish' gig that sorta verges on 'pegan' (Mark Hyman term, paleo-meets-vegan, meat as a condiment, eationg food that is actual food as opposed to food-like-substances engineered in food labs and involving extracted/isolated elements.)
    Just me, just my journey. I have a good friend who eats mostly oreos and he is 6 times the athlete I am.

but If I was going to attempt keto-vegan, I'd educate with the principles this guy uses:

I was under the impression that if you eat something and gain nutrition from it without becoming soon ill, that is food. Plus, isn't meat already violating this rule - maybe eating small things like crickets or rodents? Otherwise, I've never eaten the whole animal; I tend to eat meat as just parts (extracted/isolated elements) of the animal.

By that argument, if I eat half an avocado on my toast for breakfast, and stick the other half in the freezer for tomorrow's smoothie, the avocado is no longer part of a whole-food diet?

If you aren't eating the skin and the pit, too, looks like it wouldn't qualify anyway, since you're extracting/isolating elements. ;)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I started keto vegan...it requires a great deal of planning but at the time meat was a huge migraine trigger for me. I'm not vegan any more since the migraines ceased about 100 days in even with exposure to triggers, but I do remember lots of tofu and soy based foods. Black soybeans in particular are very low carb if I remember right.

Also, if you go with net carbs then you can ignore the fiber carbs from your veggies, which will help you stay under your carb goal. Getting enough protein is the challenge. It's much easier if you opt to add in dairy and eggs, but it's possible even without them.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I am sure you have chosen this approach for reasons that are relevant to you and I wish you good results with it.

I am on Keto with no meat and very low fish, dairy and eggs. Most of my fat comes via EVOO and you really are not glugging a lot of that to get your fat requirement. I can eat an awful lot of roasted veg :).

Good luck OP !
  • ruthie3110
    ruthie3110 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hi!! Late to the party but I've just started keto as a vegan. First 3 days have been easy enough but I'm finding variety difficult. I'm not an imaginative cook at the best of times!!

I tend to eat quite a few meat replacements and have found some that are low net carb but pretty full of protein and reasonably high fat too.

I'm eating a lot of tofu but I love tofu!

Alpro plain unsweetened yoghurt has negligible carbs so is great with a small portion of berries when the sweet cravings hit!

I must add I'm not planning on doing so low carbs for too long. Mainly to give me a push in the right direction. I do have PCOS so low carb works well for me for weight loss but I'm a binge eater and I worry that restricting myself too much for too long with make me cave one day and drown myself in oreos.
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    My fiance is veggie keto, she's done amazing .vegan sounds tough but I guess it can be done
  • wendyheath32
    wendyheath32 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I follow a few people on Instagram which do vegan keto. I'm a vegan but Kato has never appeal plus high fat makes me stomach hurt. Went vegan ate whole foods most of the time with fun food thrown in and I lost 6 stone over two years and maintained it since last September.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I'm not.

I don't know, I don't advocate whole foods diets.
    It seems to me saying you don't extract elements means the avocado was already off the menu because you remove the skin and the seed.

Whole food diets normally advocate for single ingredient food sources - not that you have to eat the entire item. The food is “whole” being in its natural form without additives. So half and avocado is a whole food and so is part of a cow as a steak.