Quinoa Anyone?

Options
KimL122
KimL122 Posts: 148 Member
I just started incorporating quinoa into my diet this week. Does anyone else eat it on a regular, and if so how has it helped, if any at all.

Replies

• xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed any health benefits on my end, but I regularly eat organic, tri color quinoa and I find that it does keep me fuller as well adding a nice consistency to my meals that makes me look forward to eating it.
  • echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    No thanks!

Like eating a mouthful of wet sand.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    If you like it eat it, but make sure you weigh it and log it correctly. There are no magical benefits to quinoa although it is one of the healthier grains (high in fiber and protein).
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Helped with what?

I personally can't get past the texture, so I don't eat it.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i prefer Farro to quinoa - i get quinoa stuck in my teeth
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I eat it regularly but just when it sounds good. I just think of it as an alternative to different kinds of rice or polenta.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    It helps with providing calories and nutrients but then so does almost all food.

• nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I prefer bulgar wheat for that sort of thing. Tastier and easier to get the texture right
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I like to eat it like pasta - salted with butter and parmesan - so it usually contributes too much to the bottom line that is my calorie count. Pretty tasty, though.
  • mpca66
    mpca66 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Not a fan, but if you like it .. go for it. At least it's a complete protein :-)
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I eat quinoa regularly. I don't know what it should work for???
    I know it fills my belly, helps me hit my fiber target and my protein target.
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I love the Seeds of Change quinoa and brown rice at Costco. I love Quinoa it just has so many calories for the small portion so I don’t eat it much.
  • KimL122
    Options
    echmain3 wrote: »
    No thanks!

Like eating a mouthful of wet sand.

LOL
  • KimL122
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    KimL122 wrote: »
    I just started incorporating quinoa into my diet this week. Does anyone else eat it on a regular, and if so how has it helped, if any at all.

"Helped" in what way? I eat it regularly...it's just a grain (actually a seed). It doesn't have any magical properties. I eat it in large part because my wife and I fell in love with it years ago when traveling in Peru where it is a staple food. We were into quinoa way before quinoa was cool.

Some people have difficulties with cooking...you cook it similar to rice, but you want it to barely simmer for a longer time so it becomes soft and fluffy, otherwise it will have the texture of grands of sand...a lot of people just are cooking it too fast. We also use chicken stock for cooking, not water. Rarely do we eat it on it's own as a side...it's usually mixed in with other things or like certain rice dishes where all of the other things (sauces, meats, etc) top the rice, or in this case, top the quinoa. Just on it's own, it's not very exciting just like rice isn't particularly exciting.

Helped in making you seem fuller. I cooked according to the package, and it's the healthy organic classic, and it's soft, good it just right, and I actually enjoy it plain, and I'm using it as a side with stuffed peppers that I fixed for the week. Towards the end of the stuffed pepper I actually mix the quinoa in with it. My peppers are stuffed with turkey ground, yellow squash, tomato, and a laughing cow asiago wedge.

I can definitely see adding quinoa into my diet more
  • KimL122
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I've found that it does make me seem fuller, and since I cooked it exactly to the directions, it's really soft.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa and eat it often. Usually take a quinoa salad with chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, and a few vegan chick'n strips to work 2-3 days a week. Can't think of anything specifically that it has helped with, but I'm walking constantly at work and it satiates me.
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    It's good and easy to make. It will keep in the fridge for up to about 5-7 days if you wanted to make a bigger batch and just have it for future recipes. I didn't really have any experience with it having any kind of effect on anything. It's a good protein source but it is higher in calories.