Cocoa Powder vs Dark Chocolate

Options
What is better for you? Pure Cocoa Powder or pure dark chocolate...plain without any sugar or other ingredients.

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you define "better," I suppose, but both are just fine within a balanced diet.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    If you're eating a good variety of foods, you probably have your nutrients and macros down. Eat whichever one fits your calories, decide based on what you think tastes better.

You remember the tortoise and the hare, right? You're in this for the long haul, you're not going to drop X pounds and then gain them back. So make sure your nutrition is good, but make sure you get enjoyable treats too, that helps keep this sustainable.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    echmain3 wrote: »
    4LeafMint wrote: »
    What is better for you? Pure Cocoa Powder or pure dark chocolate...plain without any sugar or other ingredients.

Chocolate by its nature must have other ingredients to be called chocolate. Even 99% dark chocolate will have cocoa butter and probably some sugar.

Pure cocoa powder doesn’t (or shouldn’t) have any other ingredients.

I know it’s crazy high in antioxidants but is extremely difficult to eat plain. I’ve tried!

If you want to try something very tasty, mix pure cocoa powder and some honey.

I love making a spinach smoothie with a couple tsp of cocoa powder. Gives it a nice chocolate kick without too many added calories. A banana and almond milk sweeten it up.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition that requires it there is no reason to go 'pure'. There is also no reason to overthink food. Eat one or the other or both.

There are only 2 reasons to judge or compare food items.

1) One of them will make you sick.
    2) The one you choose will make up a large percentage of your weekly calories.

If you had diabetes and asked if a candy bar or a cheese stick was better the choice is the cheese stick.

If you were trying to determine if the bulk of your weekly protein was going to come from baby back ribs or fish the choice is fish. Which does not mean there is anything wrong with BB ribs here and there.

• bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Cocoa powder is an ingredient or a flavor where chocolate is a food you can eat. Cocoa powder is a nutrient dense food.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It depends what you are trying to do.

Dark chocolate for eating, cocoa for baking and stirring into porridge.

I have both, both are good in different ways. Also cacao nibs are good, sprinkle on granola, yoghurt etc.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Better for you how?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,502 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I put the cocoa powder in chilis and stews and that sort of thing, and put the unsweetened chocolate in desserts, because I think that's what each is best for. (In common terminology, "dark chocolate" commonly has some sugar or other sweetener in it; "baking chocolate" is the unsweetened stuff.)

Both have some useful antioxidants and potassium, but there's no point in eating lots of either one (unless you love them, in which case, just don't eat so much that it drives out necesssary nutrition).

Bottom line: It's useful and IMO important to get good, balanced overall nutrition, which includes adequate macronutrients and micronutrients. Any one food needs to be evaluated in the context of overall diet. In that light, all other things equal, I'd probably be more likely to pick the chocolate if I was under my fat goal (it has some fat), or the cocoa powder if I was already at/over my fat goal (it has very little).

Neither one is all that tasty on its own, but either can be a good ingredient in something.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Milk chocolate is better for me, because it tastes yum and the others don't.
  • 4LeafMint
    4LeafMint Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Better for you how?

I am talking about nutritionally...not taste. I eat a lot of things I don't really like. But I heard dark chocolate is really good for you. And plain cocoa powder is pretty cheap.

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,367 Member
    Options
    Better for you how?

I am talking about nutritionally...not taste. I eat a lot of things I don't really like. But I heard dark chocolate is really good for you. And plain cocoa powder is pretty cheap.

Dark chocolate is very rich in antioxidants, but you would have to eat a ton of it to get any measurable amount (or get enough to make a measurable difference in your health).
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Better for you how?

This isn't a facetious question, but why are you eating a lot of things you don't really like? Unless you have an extraordinarily small list of foods you like, I can think of a lot of ways to get a well balanced diet. And to be transparent, I have definitely tried to get myself to like various foods with generally poor results. I sometimes will eat cauliflower because, turns out, I like it in the context of Indian food. Once I realized I liked it in limited areas I tried to broaden those areas with no success. Yogurt is another food that I tried to get myself to like because it's a quick, easy, and cheap source of protein that some people also like as a snack. I still hate yogurt. That said, I've found other snacks that can tide me over and there's no real need for me to eat cauliflower.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I eat 99% dark chocolate and I like it. It's expensive AF though. $5 a block of Lindt. However, you can't really eat more than one row anyway. I have it pre workout. It's good. Very delicious.

Seeing as you don't care what things taste like, then do a Google of the nutritional properties of cocoa powder vs dark chocolate and make your decision based on that.

Happy spoonfulls of cocoa powder.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I use both. Cocoa powder in my smoothies and pancakes and baking, pure unsweetened chocolate as a snack.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Better for you how?

Life is too short to eat foods you don’t like.

It is all about your goals. I eat somethings I like and somethings I don't. Food can be like medicine...you take it even when you don't like it. Plus I start liking some of the things I use to not like. Also it is similar to alcohol...no one liked the taste of their first drink (unless there was tons of sugar in it). Absolutely some are going to lie and say they did. And please woo me as much as possible. I am trying to be the WOO champion on MFP! WOOOOOOhooooo 😁

What illness are you trying to cure?