Noom to MyFitnessPal

Options
Has anyone made the switch from being successful on Noom to here? I lost 25 pounds on Noom last year. I had a week long vacation and am feeling a few pounds creep back on - slippery slope.

I need to recommit to how I was before my trip (it’s been a couple weeks).
Just curious how MyFitnessPal feels after being successful with Noom?

Thanks,
Katrina

Replies

• echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Didn’t take long to find this gem:

“But it’s not cheap. While you can download the app for free and test it out in a short trial, a membership runs about $50 per month and is designed to last 16 weeks, or four months. The app also offers additional services for extra costs, like customized workout and meal plans.”

• echmain3
    echmain3 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    “Orange Theory”?

Never mind, I don’t want to know.

(Man, I went into the wrong line of work)
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Ya, walked out of orange theory pretty fast!!!!
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information and reviews re Noom. I was considering it, but glad I landed here first.
  • nk9o
    nk9o Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I get the assistance of a nutritionist which I visit monthly through Medicare so much for the assistance Noom gives at the high cost.
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I was on Noom in January and February and it didn't work for me. I came back to MFP. Noom just doesn't have a large enough community like MFP. I didn't get much nutritional assistance and I just felt like I was on my own most of the time. So even though I had paid, I quit and came back here. And I've been losing weight ever since. Welcome to MFP!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    I used Noom to get back on track with weight loss two years after my last soiree with MFP. I signed up for the 2 week free trial and canceled it before the trial ended because I had read some reviews that made me a little suspicious of their customer service practices and because logging food in the app was so tedious. Their database isn't nearly as large as MFPs and they make you scroll so much to get the right amounts (e.g.: scrolling slowly from 1 to 300 if something is 300 grams).

I continued with Noom through the free version of the app because I found the daily behavior modification articles very motivating and the quizzes/challenges were fun. I was really motivated by getting the little check mark that said I read all the articles and competed my daily check in. Truth be told, the articles get worse after about 2.5 months.

With the free version, I didn't have access to the recipes, personal coach, or groups, but I found ways around this. I have accountability through my partner at home who is also on a fitness journey and found that the MFP forums give me all the "group" accountability I need. I sought out recipe recommendations through my Fitbit community and through Facebook groups I was a part of.

All in all, I found the free version of Noom useful for it's daily psychology-based behavior modification articles. I learned a lot about myself and lost ~15 pounds (half my goal weight). I used MFP to track calories because Noom's calorie tracker is awful and I used the MFP forums to stay "connected" and feel supported. After I was done with all the articles (after 4 months) I just stuck with MFP beacuse by that point logging and reading the MFP articles and forums had become a daily habit too. Their whole program is CICO + behavior modification. MFP is good at the first, but behavior mod is incidental. Noom is better at the latter. For me, using both gave me the best of both apps.

I saved $180 by doing it this way. It may not be the way that works for everyone, but it worked for me. I credit Noom for motivating me in the beginning with the kinds of articles that you can't find on MFP, helping me stick to this journey for 4 consecutive months, and now in entering my 2nd month without Noom. It's definitely an excellent tool for creating new habits and learning about your relationship with food...which is the whole point of the program.

@melodyvegan I'm not the one who started this thread but found your post very useful - thanks!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I was on Noom in January and February and it didn't work for me. I came back to MFP. Noom just doesn't have a large enough community like MFP. I didn't get much nutritional assistance and I just felt like I was on my own most of the time. So even though I had paid, I quit and came back here. And I've been losing weight ever since. Welcome to MFP!

This was my experience too. My insurance co had a promotion to help people lose weight and I qualified and got Noom for free. I hated it. I had done MFP previously and the shortcomings of the Noom database drove me crazy (most of the food I ate wasn’t in there, I had to add virtually everywhere manually). My Noom coach gave very cookie cutter feedback that was virtually useless. And very little participation in the forums. MFP is so much better, for me anyway.