Artificial Sweeteners - What do you all drink?

Options
13»

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Remoth wrote: »
    People only used to do things "naturally", which is why they mostly lived only to the age of 35. There is no reason to be afraid of artificial things, unless they are proven harmful, and the said can be said about natural things. There are many naturally occurring substances that are very harmful. It's why there are scientists working every day testing products for their safety.

I actually do not enjoy regular soda anymore. I always go for the diet version. My theory is that because people are so used to the taste of sugar, that just because the diet version tastes different, it automatically is worse. You are allowed to not like the taste of something, I absolutely can not stand the taste of celery. However, i do think many people dont like it because it's different and they expect it to taste the same as regular soda. I for one find regular soda to be too "heavy" and leaves a film in my mouth like an aftertaste, similar to what others have said about diet.

As for something tasting "chemically", please understand that everything in this world is made of chemicals... natural or not.

I don't disagree with your point, but people definitely lived longer than 35. It was just that so many died in infancy that it greatly lowered the average age. If you made it to adulthood, your chances of making it to old age was much higher. That being said, to back up your point, there are so many "artificial" things we take for granted that improve our lives and lower our infant mortality rates, but people seem to have no problem with those and don't question them. Additionally, people seem to think that something must be horribly artificial if they don't understand a sweeteners chemical components. Many sweeteners are just amino acids combined to appear very sweet to our palate, but to the body, they don't really seem them as anything but amino acids, which are a building block for protein. In this case, you could argue that "artificial" sweeteners aren't really that artificial.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I feel lucky in that I don't have a palate for carbonated soft drinks--in any form. They are okay I guess (taste great with rum!), but not something I crave. I do keep a couple of cans of each type of soft drink (lemon-lime, cola, diet, etc) to offer company.

I mostly drink water, coffee, and dry wine--in that order!

• Remoth
    Remoth Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Remoth wrote: »
    People only used to do things "naturally", which is why they mostly lived only to the age of 35. There is no reason to be afraid of artificial things, unless they are proven harmful, and the said can be said about natural things. There are many naturally occurring substances that are very harmful. It's why there are scientists working every day testing products for their safety.

I actually do not enjoy regular soda anymore. I always go for the diet version. My theory is that because people are so used to the taste of sugar, that just because the diet version tastes different, it automatically is worse. You are allowed to not like the taste of something, I absolutely can not stand the taste of celery. However, i do think many people dont like it because it's different and they expect it to taste the same as regular soda. I for one find regular soda to be too "heavy" and leaves a film in my mouth like an aftertaste, similar to what others have said about diet.

As for something tasting "chemically", please understand that everything in this world is made of chemicals... natural or not.

I don't disagree with your point, but people definitely lived longer than 35. It was just that so many died in infancy that it greatly lowered the average age. If you made it to adulthood, your chances of making it to old age was much higher. That being said, to back up your point, there are so many "artificial" things we take for granted that improve our lives and lower our infant mortality rates, but people seem to have no problem with those and don't question them. Additionally, people seem to think that something must be horribly artificial if they don't understand a sweeteners chemical components. Many sweeteners are just amino acids combined to appear very sweet to our palate, but to the body, they don't really seem them as anything but amino acids, which are a building block for protein. In this case, you could argue that "artificial" sweeteners aren't really that artificial.

Your right. Thank you for clearing that up!
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Water and tea, made and drunk the Brit builder way. I'd rather chew my calories where poss.
  • sqwoooze
    sqwoooze Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use Truvia once or twice a day for coffee. Have heard good things about baking with it so might give it a go