Proteins and Carbs! Oh My!

Options
vim_n_vigor
vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
I know that reducing my carb intake and increasing my protein intake helps me to lose weight faster. I also tend to feel better 'most' of the time while doing it. I think my biggest problem is that I decrease the carbs too much. The carbs here that I am talking about are the ones from grains, not fruits or vegetables. On a normal activity day, I can go with very few carbs (5-10% of total calories (again, not the fruit and veggie carbs counted here)). My problem is on weekends or when doing things like painting the house, extra work outs, etc, I get fatigued and get headaches. I do think that this is because I don't keep enough carbs in my diet for days like this. I get my protein from lean meats and fish for the most part. Can anyone help me figure out a good starting point for carbs/protein ratios?

Replies

• loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    If you're tracking your exercise on here as well as your calories then as you add in exercise it will increase your carbs for the day since it's set as a percentage of your calorie intake. Although the site doesn't take the different types of carbs into consideration, My understanding is there are good carbs and bad carbs. Whole grains, fruits, veggies, etc. all fall under good carbs.
  • Leanne1795
    Leanne1795 Posts: 186
    Options
    Right. Just wait for the naysayers to arrive and tell you low carbing is terrible. :laugh:
    I am an Atkins girl and when I am particularly busy I just up my fat intake. It works, my diabetes has never been better and my cholesterol and blood pressure no longer require meds.
    Add me if you wish. :smile:
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options
    A personal choice, I think, that one must make after doing their own research of all the reports and studies out there regarding nutrition and the role of the macronutrients in our bodily functions. I am a vegetarian who aims for 70% of my daily calories from carbs, 20% from fat, and only 10% from protein, and I am very healthy, active, slightly below normal weight (by choice), feel great, have loads of energy and am RARELY sick. A lot of people will tell you this couldn't work, but I've done my research, and it works for me. :)
  • rottenangelplays
    Options
    When using my fitness pal you are also supposed to enter the amount of physical activities you do, whether it be light house cleaning or going for a walk. When you do this it up the alotted amount of calorie intake for the day. After seeing a dietician and nutritionist they will tell you that you need to eat roughly six times a day. breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. This would mean that you eat small balanced portions every two to three hours. This will keep your blood sugars up and keep you from feeling week and dizzy.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    A personal choice, I think, that one must make after doing their own research of all the reports and studies out there regarding nutrition and the role of the macronutrients in our bodily functions. I am a vegetarian who aims for 70% of my daily calories from carbs, 20% from fat, and only 10% from protein, and I am very healthy, active, slightly below normal weight (by choice), feel great, have loads of energy and am RARELY sick. A lot of people will tell you this couldn't work, but I've done my research, and it works for me. :)

I won't ever advocate that everybody should strive to have the same intake. Each one of us is different in so many ways. I know that I personally do better with less carbs. Many whole grains to nasty things to me. The other side to is that the more carbs I intake, the more I binge. If I have higher protein intake, I don't get as hungry and don't feel the need to binge. Plus, other digestive processes don't bug me nearly as much.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

I won't ever advocate that everybody should strive to have the same intake. Each one of us is different in so many ways. I know that I personally do better with less carbs. Many whole grains to nasty things to me. The other side to is that the more carbs I intake, the more I binge. If I have higher protein intake, I don't get as hungry and don't feel the need to binge. Plus, other digestive processes don't bug me nearly as much.

I agree. I learned by process of elimination that whole grains and all of the wonderful fiber that is soooo good for us was completely destroying my entire digestive system, causing skin problems, bad sleep, dental problems (had my first clean dental appointment at the beginning of August - I wish I had known this before the tons of fillings, 2 root canals, five crowns, etc). Those along with sugars gave me Fibromyalgia. Cut it all out and I have no more pain. Eating sugar will bring the pain back. Oatmeal and an apple filled me up for an hour and I would crash and get weak and shaky. Now my 3 cage-free eggs swimming in butter and coconut oil and 4 pieces of Hormel Natural Uncured Bacon keeps me full all day. No need to eat 5-6 times a day. And my day is too, too busy to be worrying about counting calories, eating, weighing food, etc. (OP - I said I wasn't going to post here but I liked your response).

Oh and since the body doesn't contain the necessary enzymes to break down whole grains it doesn't absorb the nutrients from them - very low bio-availability. And they contain mineral-binding anti-nutrients that will pull nutrients out of your body (i.e. calcium, magnesium, iron, copper, and especially zinc.) Ingestion does not mean digestion or absorption.
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    In all honesty you dont need grains at all. If you have your Marcos right then you should feel fine, if you want to loose weight then carbs between 50-100g is plenty, get this from dairy and fruit and veg alone. If you really need a boost after a hard workout have a sweet potato. Make sure your fats are higher to compensate for the lower carbs. You will feel better with no grains, just takes some tweaking like any nutrition plan
  • rrrbecca11
    rrrbecca11 Posts: 477
    Options

Yes, that's what I was saying too. Everyone's caloric/nutritive needs are different, apparently. I eat 5-6 times a day and enjoy that more (since I love to eat) than a couple of meals a day, and the distribution of carbs throughout the day works to keep me energized and going strong. But that's just me and my lifestyle; everyone is different and I don't advocate for anything except good health. :)
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I've gave up tracking that closely lol if its healthy, its going in my mouth...nuff said. haha