Weight gain trend - when to start worrying?

82EC
82EC Posts: 123 Member
So on Sunday I walked over 10,000 steps and hardly ate anything, so on Monday my weight was down by 1.6kg, which is a lot for me. By Tuesday morning I had put on 0.4kg (up to 85.4) and that day I did a 45 min Pilates class, took about 5,000 steps and did about 30 mins strength exercises, most with a medium level resistance band instead of the easy one I started off with when I started doing strength exercises. Wednesday morning I am up to 86kg. I weighed myself just now (Wednesday evening) and it said 87.5. Usually the evening weight is about 1kg heavier than in the morning, but that still means I would have put on another 0.5kg. Admittedly I didn’t do my scheduled exercise today due to being too busy, so I only took 5000 steps as my only exercise.

My question: is this a trend I should be worried about?

Could it be:
The cold weather (I’m in Australia, we’re just coming into Winter next month)
Getting too adjusted to my exercise program
Having lost so much weight on Sunday and now my body is making up for it
The Phentermine having stopped working?
Some other cause?

Love to hear your thoughts!

Replies

• fitnessqueen91
    fitnessqueen91 Posts: 166 Member
    Eh I get this too. I can exercise a lot and not eat much but I don't see a drop or there's even a small gain on the scale. I find doing a lot of exercise makes me feel heavy (probably from the muscles retaining water) and retain a bit of water. The other poster is right, it's more about seeing the trends over time not every day as weight can fluctuate from day to day. Maybe weigh once a week or once a fortnight. I should take this advise myself as I sometimes weigh everyday and get upset if my weight isn't going down. Also check to see how your clothes fit and of you're losing inches. I think the scales only show a consistent drop in weight if you're very overweight and have a lot of weight to lose but if you're not that big it slows down as your body doesn't have so much dangerous fat.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,138 Member
    edited May 2019
    Use happy scale, Libra, or trendweight.com or weightgrapher.com or equivalents you discover or construct/deploy.

If your ***trend*** change (not daily weight change) exceeds a kg take heed.

Women with cyclical hormonal retention, as mentioned by Ann above, need to account for that by comparing to the same point in their previous cycle.

Weigh yourself once a day and plot on a graph.

Unless you start accounting for every drop of water and also measure your pee and sweat outputs, your nighttime readings are meaningless stress.

Also, if your weight has been visibly and reliably changing downwards day in and day out, this is an indication that you are applying a substantial caloric deficit such that it would probably only be suitable for a very obese person.

Because too much of a good thing isn't always good, if you are not comfortably in the obese range but are used to reliably seeing daily scale drops, you should probably re consider and re confirm the desired size of your deficit such that you end up losing no more than 0.5% to 1% of your bodyweight per week on average for most people.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    I hate when I see the scale go up instead of down--so I feel your concern! My logical brain knows that if I'm doing everything correct, then permanent weight gain in the form of fat is virtually impossible. My emotional brain has a little panic when I see the number go up--even though I know it's not fat. I'm learning to trust the process too--I do trust the process!
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    You didn't actually lose 1.6 kilos of fat in one day on Sunday. You lost some water weight. In the following days you gained back some water weight. It is nothing to worry about.

This.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 597 Member
    82EC wrote: »
    Thanks all for the support- I was getting stressed as I hadn’t seen such big fluctuations in my weight loss journey yet. But it must have just been the exercise because today I am back on track - down to 85.8 kg. Phew!

Think I will continue to weigh myself daily - some people say it’s not helpful but I find it motivating and it (usually) gives me data to counteract any worries about going up!

If you're going to weigh daily, use a weight trending app for your phone. It helps make sense of all the ups and downs in weight and puts them in perspective.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,027 Member
    82EC wrote: »
    Thanks all for the support- I was getting stressed as I hadn’t seen such big fluctuations in my weight loss journey yet. But it must have just been the exercise because today I am back on track - down to 85.8 kg. Phew!

Think I will continue to weigh myself daily - some people say it’s not helpful but I find it motivating and it (usually) gives me data to counteract any worries about going up!

I like weighing daily, it helps me to avoid getting thrown off by a random fluctuation. In the morning after a bathroom visit is usually best.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Echoing the folks recommending Libra or Happy scale or similar. I had a few weeks I was convinced I had gained a couple of lbs, and someone here recommended libra. After adding all the data points I had collected (and since) I see a downward trend of .5-2lbs per month. It's SLOW :D but it showed me that I am actually dropping weight.