Hunger Question

Options
David7881
David7881 Posts: 34 Member
So I've been on a caloric deficit since March of this year. Doing about 1500 cal per day to be at a 2 lbs per week loss. By the end of April i wanted to either slow down or stop the loss so I started adding calories slowly. I increased it to 1900 cal per day which puts me at 1 lb per week loss. I stopped dropping weight towards the middle of April and my appetite had dropped as well. My question is what would cause my appetite to increase as you increase your calorie intake? I would of expected to not go up since I am increasing my intake. My exercise routine has not increased or changed.

Replies

• David7881
    Options
    roserex wrote: »
    If you dramatically increased your carbs they can increase your appetite. It seems the more carbs you eat the more your body wants it to eat.

That makes sense. When I changed my calorie I also changed my macro ratio to increase carbs percentage. I was hoping it meant an increased metabolism 😆
  • David7881
    edited May 2019
    Options
    So i went back to look at my log. When I was 1500 cal my macros were 20 carbs 30 fat and 50 protein vs 1900 cal 35 carbs 20 fat and 45 protein. The macros is by percent not grams.
    When I made that change the only thing that decreased was fat and that was only by an average of 10g. My protein and Carbs increased by about 10g each.
    So I'm not really sacrificing all my other macros for carbs. I know protein is suppose to make you feel full and fat carries more calories but i am increasing calories with other sources of macro, so I dont get why that would increase my appetite.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    David7881 wrote: »
    So I've been on a caloric deficit since March of this year. Doing about 1500 cal per day to be at a 2 lbs per week loss. By the end of April i wanted to either slow down or stop the loss so I started adding calories slowly. I increased it to 1900 cal per day which puts me at 1 lb per week loss. I stopped dropping weight towards the middle of April and my appetite had dropped as well. My question is what would cause my appetite to increase as you increase your calorie intake? I would of expected to not go up since I am increasing my intake. My exercise routine has not increased or changed.[/q
    How lean are you? Could have come to a homeostasis zone? Huh?
  • David7881
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    So I've been on a caloric deficit since March of this year. Doing about 1500 cal per day to be at a 2 lbs per week loss. By the end of April i wanted to either slow down or stop the loss so I started adding calories slowly. I increased it to 1900 cal per day which puts me at 1 lb per week loss. I stopped dropping weight towards the middle of April and my appetite had dropped as well. My question is what would cause my appetite to increase as you increase your calorie intake? I would of expected to not go up since I am increasing my intake. My exercise routine has not increased or changed.[/q

I dont know my BF percentage but heres a recent pic so you have an idea
    uh5mv18fpjbx.jpg
  • psychod787
    Options
    You look pretty lean. What are your goals now? Maintain, bulk? I mean, if you are not having hunger and satiety issues, what's the issue? If you are happy where you are at with intake and exercise, enjoy it! Or, switch goals maybe? JMHO
  • psychod787
    edited May 2019
    Options

I dont know my BF percentage but heres a recent pic so you have an idea
    uh5mv18fpjbx.jpg

Also, from my LIMITED experience with gauging BF % low to mid teens maybe.
  • David7881
    Options
    You look pretty lean. What are your goals now? Maintain, bulk? I mean, if you are not having hunger and satiety issues, what's the issue? If you are happy where you are at with intake and exercise, enjoy it! Or, switch goals maybe? JMHO

Thanks. So to be honest I'm stuck in the fat loss mentality. I am trying to tapper it off by going from a 2lbs per week to 1lb per week or less to lose the last little bit. Hunger is kind of my issue. The 2 months I was on a 1500 cal diet my appetite went down after the 1st month. Now That I've increased my calories to 1900 my appetite shot up. Trying to kind of understand whats going on.
  • psychod787
    Options

Thanks. So to be honest I'm stuck in the fat loss mentality. I am trying to tapper it off by going from a 2lbs per week to 1lb per week or less to lose the last little bit. Hunger is kind of my issue. The 2 months I was on a 1500 cal diet my appetite went down after the 1st month. Now That I've increased my calories to 1900 my appetite shot up. Trying to kind of understand whats going on.

There is a drive to regain. Some people will woo me for saying this. Some people think there is a bf set point. Some says it's all choice and environment. I am starting to THINK it is both. Evidence for both models exist. I have the idea of BF settling point. Kind of a midway between both trains of thoughts. Where there is a "zone" where environment, food choice, activity, and hormones, and brain response all meet. After a cut, your body wants to go back to its happy place. Leptin is lower, ghrelin is higher. Muscles burn less energy per unit mass than before. NEAT tends to go down and there is a alight decrease in RMR. The brain tends to push us towards energy dense foods. I got pretty lean from class 3 obese. Sub 10% per dexa. I still have hunger and satiety issues and probably always will. I have bulked or some regain on purpose to help. It has actually. I also keep a high protein intake. Protein is been shown in many subjects to increase satiety. Probably because of an increase in PPY. I have also been researching food rewards and caloric density. No food is inherently "bad", BUT there is some evidence that less palatable , less calorie dense food may help with hunger and satiety. Also, SOME evidence in rats that a less palatable diet, less energy denae diet, along with a higher activity level MAY help lower that settling point. Oh fiber! Lol I would direct you to a Kevin hall study of a hyperprocessed diet vs a less processed diet and caloric intake and some work by Dr. Stephan Guyenet. Best of luck.
  • earlandrew48
    earlandrew48 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey, you look pretty lean to me. From my point of view based on my experience is, my greatest enemy is patience. I'll say it again...patience. Understand that what we're really doing is "body transformation". The body is very complex and needs time to adjust to the changes we are forcing on it. What you're doing is great. Increase your calorie intake to 1900. Just make sure its the right food and that at least 150 of it is protein. You may plateau for 2 or 3 weeks. Hell, maybe even a month. But all a sudden you'll drop from say 190 to 189, then 187. Its just a matter of science. It will happen. The worst thing you can do, is give up on something that WILL work, without giving it its proper respect. Imagine this: staying at the same weight, but adding a quarter inch to your arms, while losing a half inch on your waist. That Is where you're headed. Stay with the 1900, and have patience.
    One thing I have done is decreased my rest between sets. I rested 2 minutes between heavy sets. Now I rest only 1 minute between sets, all exercises. This is adding a cardio affect, as well as forcing a major change on my body. Its adding size, but I've lost weight.
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    liz0269 wrote: »
    Macros are irrelevant. I eat HCLF as in up to 70% carbs, 15% fat, 15% protein. I am losing more weight than I planned because I simply don't have the appetite to eat all of my calories.
    Before someone woos me, for the record, since I started eating this way, my cholesterol has dropped from 210-220 to 132. My fasting glucose and A1C went from prediabetic to healthy. My GERD has dramatically improved. My depression has gone into remission. My insomnia is gone. I have never felt better.

Macro aren't important in regards to how well or how fast you lose weight, they're important in regards to satiety and compliance. If I ate HCLF I would be hangry all the time because carbs don't satiate my appetite, but when I eat high fat -moderate protein-lowish carbs I'm perfectly satisfied and don't get hungry much at all.

Agree. One of the earlier posters said he was hungry because carbs make you hungry. That's not true for everyone. That was my point.
  • earlandrew48
    earlandrew48 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Macros matter incredibly. The % of what you put in your body will have a large degree of say over the result. You can't have muscle build without protein. You have energy without carbs. You need healthy fats to make it all work. There are things you can tinker with. But protein, carbs, fats need the right mix for an individual, and should be measured. That's why I live this app!!!!! Go myfitnesspal (: