Can run 10k without walking in 75 min. Now what?

Options
So, I've worked my stanima up to 10k in 75 minutes without walking.
That is roughly 12.5 minute miles.
I'm still losing weight, now down to 178 from 224.

I want to get to af hajlf marathon with ten minute miles.
I'm thinking incorporating sprint training, and treadmill ( to set pace. I've been trail running). I'm also incorporating yoga and swimming laps to switch it up.

How does this sound?
Kinda feel like I'm reinventing the wheel.

Anybody who can point me in the right direction?

Replies

• ca_josh
    ca_josh Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Just keep logging in miles. I’d slowly try and get your 10k under 60min before making the next mileage leap. What worked for me was doing 3x 5k a week and 1x 10k a week, with a focus on trying to get a slightly better (or even) time each week. Just keep logging those miles! You are doing great!! 💪😀
  • raspberriliana
    raspberriliana Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Well done on the 10k! :) It's great that you're thinking of cross training, do whatever you enjoy! Incorporate interval training, tempo runs or maybe negative splits, all of these will impove your speed. + one long, easy run a week and you'll get ready for that 21k in no time! It's up to you wheter you want to improve your speed first and then begin half marathon training, or just increase your mileage simultaniously. I think you can work on both speed and endurance at the same time and get great results!
    I'm having this dilemma right now, because I want to finally do a full marathon, but it would be easier if I get a bit faster first :#
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Keep plugging away at the longer distances, slowly add another 0.5km a week to that long run and you should find you get faster over shorter distances as your long run increases. No way do you need to be pushing to get under a 60min 10k before you tackle the next distance. My 10k time was 1:34 when I first took on a half and even now I run marathons I struggle to get under 60min for a 10k, I mean I've done it once but it half killed me.

Things you can do are
    interval runs, run 0.5miles at the fastest pace you can sustain and the recover for 4 mins at a slower pace, repeat as often as you have time and energy for.
    timed miles I use this as a way of seeing how I'm progressing, plot a fairly flat mile loop route, run it as fast as you can, once you're running it at your target pace start doing a second loop at the same pace until you are running the distance you want at that pace.
    Hill repeats pick a hill any hill (you'll want to make them more challenging as you get better at them) run up it as fast and far as you can, turn round go back to the bottom, repeat.

The best advice I ever got for increasing my speed is that to run faster you need to run faster, the only way you'll become comfortable at faster paces is to keep running at them.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Lift weights also youll get faster. A stronger leg means more efficency and power.

My own experience was when i was able to run a low 8minute per mile 5k, my cruising speed was about 2 minutes per mile slower. So that one time i ran 13 miles for the hell of it despite not training for the marathon, i pulled off a 10 minute per miler.

I couldve been faster but felt super tired after running for like an hour and a half, i think i used up my energy cause a wave of fatique hit me like a brick wall despite feeeling perfectly fine a minute earlier, strange experience.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Do a search for a half marathon training plan and follow it.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    How many miles per week are you currently running?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    I agree with lporter - work on your endurance first by building up your base mileage. Just adding to your weekly mileage, either by longer runs or another day of running, will help improve your pace as you get more efficient in your running. Doing speedwork when you don't have a good base is likely to get you injured. You could do some very short pickups where after a good warmup, you speed up for 50 paces, then slow down to a jog again, then speed up for 50 paces, then jog. Do that 5-10 times. It will help work on your leg turnover and lungs.

If you've mostly been running on trails, you may find that just running on roads will make you speed up. I am 1-2 minutes per mile slower on trails (if not more).
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

If you've mostly been running on trails, you may find that just running on roads will make you speed up. I am 1-2 minutes per mile slower on trails (if not more).

Yes! I missed that you have been trail running. Trails are much slower than road for just about everyone.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who's run 9 marathons, 50 halfs, a few 50ks, and a 50 miler. She weighs so little you'd think the wind could blow her away. Her trail pace is around 12 minutes per mile, much much faster on the road.

I'm just saying this to agree with everyone wide any how trail running is slower.
  • IDeserveBetter
    IDeserveBetter Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of good information here.
    Yesterday I decided to just go run two miles as fast as I could without worrying about further distance and managed ten minute miles. I'm going to try working that into my longer runs, running fast for a mile, jogging two, repeat. Currently I'd have to walk to recover in between but it seems like a doable goal.
  • KevHex
    KevHex Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm repeating what others have said, but this is very important information:

Have you looked at any coaching information that talks about building a running base of 30 miles per week, maintaining it for a period of 6 months or more? Speed should come later, but building a running base is key to progressing in a healthy and sustainalbe way. It will take time to build up to 30 miles, regularly running 4 or 5 runs per week, at an easy pace. After 3 months, you could add in one fartlek session in to your week, but don't add any more speed work until you ht the 6 month mark.

This running base will help you with any race distance, from 5k to marathon. You will strengthen your muscles, improve all the running dynamics (cadence, stride length, ground contact time) and help you create a body blueprint for the runner you want to become.

If you just go out and run as fast as you can without any structure to what you are doing, or an extended base period to build upon, you are asking for trouble. You may burn out, get injured or lose your mojo for running.

Slow and steady to start, your future self will thank you if you do it correctly.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I decided to just go run two miles as fast as I could without worrying about further distance and managed ten minute miles. I'm going to try working that into my longer runs, running fast for a mile, jogging two, repeat. Currently I'd have to walk to recover in between but it seems like a doable goal.

Ummm, everyone is saying to work on endurance not speed, do your plan is to start incorporating speed work?
  • IDeserveBetter
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

Ummm, everyone is saying to work on endurance not speed, do your plan is to start incorporating speed work?

I plan on including speed into my current endurance work.
    You can't run faster if you never attempt to
  • IDeserveBetter
    Options
    KevHex wrote: »
    I'm repeating what others have said, but this is very important information:

Have you looked at any coaching information that talks about building a running base of 30 miles per week, maintaining it for a period of 6 months or more? Speed should come later, but building a running base is key to progressing in a healthy and sustainalbe way. It will take time to build up to 30 miles, regularly running 4 or 5 runs per week, at an easy pace. After 3 months, you could add in one fartlek session in to your week, but don't add any more speed work until you ht the 6 month mark.

This running base will help you with any race distance, from 5k to marathon. You will strengthen your muscles, improve all the running dynamics (cadence, stride length, ground contact time) and help you create a body blueprint for the runner you want to become.

If you just go out and run as fast as you can without any structure to what you are doing, or an extended base period to build upon, you are asking for trouble. You may burn out, get injured or lose your mojo for running.

Slow and steady to start, your future self will thank you if you do it correctly.

I'm already at 30-45 a week. I went from distance walking to walk/run to run.
  • IDeserveBetter
    Options
    When it was just walking it was as high as 60 a week. With running it is less as I get accustom to the difference in effort
  • IDeserveBetter
    Options
    This is the last three months.
    Take into account I lost and had to replace my Fitbit in Feb, and was briefly ill mid March
  • IDeserveBetter
    Options
    8yez1oaum6d7.png
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options

That's not really true. You get faster by running farther. Once you have a solid base you can start incorporating special runs like, speed runs, fartleks, etc. but first you need a solid base. If I were you, I would look for a training program written by a running coach. Amazon is full of good running books.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »

That's not really true. You get faster by running farther. Once you have a solid base you can start incorporating special runs like, speed runs, fartleks, etc. but first you need a solid base. If I were you, I would look for a training program written by a running coach. Amazon is full of good running books.

This is very true. If you insist on doing speed work, only do it once or twice per week, not on every run and not on your long runs. This is very important in order to avoid injury as well as burn out. When it comes to training, faster is not always better and neither is always striving to run more. You need to have a solid plan that allows for rest and recovery. Elite marathoners that are capable of running an entire marathon at a 5 minute per mile pace do most of their training runs at 8+ minutes per mile. Just keep that in mind.