How to tell if you're in starvation mode

Options
Simply put it seems like a very vague concept with little or no scientific evidence to back it up.

As recommended I increased my calories and protein and focus on strength training with weights and I've lost pretty much no fat looking muscle and places too much then desired.

My boyfriend believes in skipping a meal rather than eating a nutritious one which is what I do. I've also made it a point to eat snacks throughout the day healthy wants of course that are within my calorie budget but I really feel like I did much better when I just reduced my calories a lot.

If starvation mode is a thing how do you know if you were in it!? it seems counterproductive to me to force myself to eat if I'm not hungry and I don't feel sick and I have energy.

Replies

• Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    It's not a thing, in the sense that you mean it anyway. So good news: you're not in it!
  • DawnOfTheDead_Lift
    DawnOfTheDead_Lift Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Minnesota Starvation Experiment
  • guacassassin
    guacassassin Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm genuinely confused ...I'm in treatment right now and our dietician literally just ran a group the other day about starvation mode being very real...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I'm genuinely confused ...I'm in treatment right now and our dietician literally just ran a group the other day about starvation mode being very real...

Was this a Registered Dietician? I ask because RD's are trained in facts. The commonly used phrase "starvation mode" is not well defined, and one certainly misuses the word "starvation" if it is used to describe weight gain.