Weight stalled for 4 days - any advice to push ahead?

Options
Hi all,

I’m a 27 year old Male.

I’ve recently restarted a cut and it was going pretty well, but I’ve been stuck at 168.6 lbs for 4 days and want to see faster progress but don’t know how, as it already feels like I’ve cut my calories pretty low for a 6 foot tall Male and I would be hesitant to drop any lower as I’m feeling pretty hungry.

Similarly I’ve been dropping my carbs below 100 per day pretty consistently which is a change from my normal diet and though this initially helped, I feel it’s not anymore. Should I cut them even lower? (Sub 50)?

My diary is open. I’ve attached a pic of my current physique, I just want to see my abs,

Thanks o55qh86hno81.jpeg

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I'd be questioning whether you need to lose weight to begin with as your BMI is already in the healthy range.
    With so little to lose fast results are anything but healthy. 1/2 pound maximum is where you should be aiming. A stall for 4 days is very common and nothing to fret over.
  • phwdjones
    phwdjones Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Okay, thanks everyone! I will try to be more patient but I just wanted to check I wasn’t doing something wrong that was blocking me. My sodium levels are probably still too high, for example.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,735 Member
    Options
    phwdjones wrote: »
    Okay, thanks everyone! I will try to be more patient but I just wanted to check I wasn’t doing something wrong that was blocking me. My sodium levels are probably still too high, for example.

No. Sodium relates to water weight (as does carb level, mostly**). Water weight can mask fat loss temporarily. Since water weight is not fat, and fat loss is what we care about, there's no need to manipulate water weight. Water weight fluctuations are part of how a normal, healthy body functions.

Relax. Adjust your expectations. Four days is nothing. Trust the process.

** Carbs can also affect satiation, so compliance with calorie goal, of course
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    4 days is not a stall. keep doing the work. and be patient
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    4 days?
    Patience grasshopper.
  • vollkornbloedchen
    vollkornbloedchen Posts: 2,243 Member
    Options
    As suggested by others: Give it (more) time.

When I was on my weightloss-journey I found it helpful to step on the scales only once a week.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    To further clarify, you can't call it a stall until it's been around 4 weeks.

If a pound is 3500 calories (a rough rule of thumb), and you have a deficit of 500 per day, it would take at least 7 days to lose one pound, and that's in a vacuum with no outside influences. Reality is not so straightforward.
  • phwdjones
    phwdjones Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    wait... at 6' tall and 168 and you are trying to lose... why? I would suggest recomp. eat maintenance, plenty of protein and follow a well-structured lifting program. and most importantly, adjust expectations

FYI, I am 5'6" and weight only about 10lbs less than you!

Because I still can't see my abs. I'll cut until I see my abs, then stop and start slowly adding muscle. 5'6 and 6'0 is a gulf of difference, but you clearly have more muscle, hence why you're nearly the same weight. I don't have much yet.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    phwdjones wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    wait... at 6' tall and 168 and you are trying to lose... why? I would suggest recomp. eat maintenance, plenty of protein and follow a well-structured lifting program. and most importantly, adjust expectations

FYI, I am 5'6" and weight only about 10lbs less than you!

Because I still can't see my abs. I'll cut until I see my abs, then stop and start slowly adding muscle. 5'6 and 6'0 is a gulf of difference, but you clearly have more muscle, hence why you're nearly the same weight. I don't have much yet.

Seriously look into recomp, rather than weight loss. With this, you are losing fat while gaining muscle, but your weight doesn't really alter. You will be much happier with the long term results, even though it is a slow process.
    This is a great thread to help you learn what it is all about.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1