2»

Replies

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Stac5097 wrote: »
    jnomadica wrote: »
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    Sleep in your gym clothes, prep everything the night before and go to bed earlier.

The hardest part is the getting up, once you're up the battle is pretty much won.

I totally agree with sleeping in your workout clothes. Then all you need to do is force yourself out of the bed, and you are off. This works for me.
    Anyone that will workout with you that early? Having a friend really motivates me for early workouts.

No, not really and I actually like working out alone because I talk too much 😂🤦🏼‍♀️. I like the sleeping in the clothes idea.

My suggestion (and what works for me) is to make dates with others to work out. Then you feel compelled to not miss since others are depending on you being there. For a couple years now I have been setting up runs very early in the morning a couple days a week. It has gotten so routine (and expected) that if I am late getting things setup I get pinged. :D It still sucks getting out of bed before the sun rises but it has now become my 'normal'.

Good luck.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Go to bed early, set an alarm, make yourself leave. It'll suck for a bit and how long "a bit" is will likely depend on whether or not you're a morning person. Eventually you'll get used to that schedule and it will seem more or less normal.

I have to be at the boathouse for rowing at 5am twice a week and if I'm not there I'm not going to get boated. You can bet that as much as I'd sometimes like to sleep in those days (where "sleeping in" is waking up later than 4:20), I push through and get myself there. I typically don't sleep in my clothes in part because I'd be too warm, but I will get everything ready the night before so all I have to do is put on my clothes, make sure I have my keys, cellphone, and wallet, and leave.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I don't do it often but I will get up very early for a sunrise hike or to beat the storm to the top of a peak. Although I'm not a morning person, I get up early because I'm so excited about what I'm doing. I think most of us will wake early for something we are really passionate about.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    For me? Knowing that my gym is rammed at all other times of the day is motivation enough to get up.
  • Togetherstronger
    Togetherstronger Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    a very loud alarm, plenty of planning, will to want to improve and the trust in the process. you will one hundred percent get there, just gotta believe you can. then ,everything becomes easier
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    shaf238 wrote: »
    For me? Knowing that my gym is rammed at all other times of the day is motivation enough to get up.

AGREE. Nothing better than a quiet gym and not waiting for equipment to be free.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Well that was helpful. Not everyone is a morning person. But thanks for the reply.

The thing is that I'm not going to get out of bed for something I don't really, really want to do. I really, really want to get paid, so I get up for work. And I really, really want to run before it gets hot, so I get out of bed for that, but I'm not going to get out of bed at 4:30 for something that doesn't excite me. So find something that excites you and the early hour won't seem so bad.
  • SoulOfRusalka
    SoulOfRusalka Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to get up early in the morning, and I don't especially want to :P I'd rather work out later.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,971 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I am not a morning person - I've managed morning workouts, even fairly consistently for months, but it is very easy for it to fall by the wayside. I would much rather workout later and sleep on my natural sleep rhythm. Unfortunately, where I've lived the past 2 years, evening workouts weren't much of an option - my "apartment" was so cramped I couldn't even lay out a yoga mat without moving several items/tables/etc, and if I left the house after 4:30 pm, there was never any parking to be found anywhere near my house (I've had to park nearly a mile away before)....so, I took up walking as a form of activity when I wasn't making it to the gym.

I'm moving in 3 weeks and I must admit, I can't wait - significantly more room in my own place, PLUS a fitness center both in my complex AND at my "new" office. Oh, and no fighting over parking when I get home if I leave in the evening :)

BUT to answer your question, I used the 15 minutes earlier method when I was making regular morning workouts - get up 15 minutes earlier than normal for a couple weeks, then another 15 minutes, then maybe 30 minutes, so on and so forth until it wasn't too bad to get up at that time and it became a little easier to fall asleep earlier (still doesn't happen easily for me, but it did improve a little bit).
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I really really want to be early riser to get my workouts out of the way and possibly be able to incorporate periodically working out 2x a day.

What is your secret to a 5am out of the house gym workout? How did you get in the habit?

Set your alarm an hour and a half earlier, having it ring every half an hour twice and every 15 minutes twice. Never underestimate your psyche-in songs that are effective enough to rouse and boost your wanna, gonna, gotta, getcha out of the house mentality, if music therapy works for you. Even a cold shower and immediately working through your oral hygiene protocols soon after getting out of bed, will rev you up enough to get out of the house, to get things done. Always revitalising.

Ready your ensemble + your pre-workout bites/drink before winding-down the night before. You'll also have to closely watch the least no.of hours of sleep your body will tolerate, which will not disrupt your need for morning workouts, twice weekly.