Trigger foods?

I’m really annoyed with myself. I have been doing really well with eating more mindfully, eating more nutrient dense foods and not binging. Definitely not perfect but solidly well.

This evening I had a “tea” at my daughter’s preschool. I had a cookie with the tea - everyone did. If was small and really tasty. I was totally happy with it.

But then I got home and my brain was like “I NEED MORE COoKIES”. I couldn’t just enjoy the one cookie. I ended up eating three Pepperidge farm salted Carmel Milanos and also a few bites of chocolate. Not a huge binge but definitely an out-of-control feeling.

So my question is - I know in principal CICO means we can have anything as long as it fits in our calorie budget - but do any of you feel like some foods just make you crazy and not able to control your eating. It’s like I can’t enjoy things like cookies in moderation. It’s really sad.

Replies

• brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    I don't have trigger foods, but I really struggle with control when I am visiting my parents, for whatever reason. I'll do great for weeks, and then I'll go visit them and all self control goes out the window and I eat everything in sight.
  • sharkweek
    sharkweek Posts: 165 Member
    Yes, definitely. I used to binge eat hummus with pita alllll the time, and now if I get anywhere near that combination, I eat until I run out of it. I'm wary of even having hummus in the apartment with veggies. I've accepted that when it comes to wheat-based stuff (bread, cake, even pasta - and note that I'm not differentiating between gluten/gluten-free here, just the kinds of foods traditionally made that way), I have so much trouble controlling myself that it's not worth it. I only eat them when I'm at restaurants and there's a dimension of social portion control - I don't mind having a sandwich at a restaurant because I won't just order four of them, but if I made it at home I'd make four.

While it is a bit sad, I do remind myself of the foods I can have while still staying in control - ice cream, chocolate, etc. I'm not sure if I'll have to avoid my trigger foods permanently or not, but if I have to, I think I'm okay with it.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    I'm the same I can't just have 1 or 2 or 3 biscuits, I could easily eat the whole pack. My only way of avoiding this is to notice the foods like this I can't control myself over and don't eat them at all. Some people may say you shouldn't avoid any food that you enjoy, but I would rather avoid the foods I over eat than have that temptation there all the time. In the end you need to find the way that works for you. I know I'll have the odd binge on something again one day, but at least it won't be every day or every other day.
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    I have a few trigger foods. I can't even keep them in the house because the outcome is irrational. I go as far as staying away from those isles in the grocery store. You may want to check out OA.org. I don't know your specific situation but there is an entire section dedicated to trigger foods. I found it very helpful.
  • OooohToast
    OooohToast Posts: 257 Member
    I find that once my sugar consumption gets past a certain point, it then continues to creep up over a period of time, along with the increase in calories because whereas sugar is yum, its satiate score is low for me. Not the same as binging I know, but still a trigger.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    I don't have trigger foods, but I really struggle with control when I am visiting my parents, for whatever reason. I'll do great for weeks, and then I'll go visit them and all self control goes out the window and I eat everything in sight.

If you’re like me it’s bc they are stressful and up in your grill ab everything. Just look in the mirror and think ab how far you came.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Yes cookies. I have absolutely eaten entire boxes of cookies because eating one put me in a frenzy. Also gummy candies and licorice. I ate one piece of licorice at work and by the end of the day I'd had five. They're like 120 calories each for the fancy kind! I felt awful.

I just don't allow myself to have them anymore. I did not eat the single small oreo or the twizzler I was offered yesterday because I would have absolutely lost control. Instead I allow myself other things I can handle, like small chocolates or a spoonful of Nutella if I want sugar.
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    alexmose wrote: »

If you’re like me it’s bc they are stressful and up in your grill ab everything. Just look in the mirror and think ab how far you came.

They're really not though. Occasionally my mom will try to get me to eat junk food and tell me I've earned it, but for the most part they are super supportive. I really don't know what it is, lol. Maybe the fact that I'm comfortable there, there is no judgement, and I don't have to pay for any of the food I am eating, lmao!
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Chips...

"I'll just have a few" turns into demolishing half the bag! My husband and daughter enjoy them, so I keep buying chips for them. But I have to be really careful and keep self-control when I'm poking around the pantry for a snack.
  • mimimunchery
    mimimunchery Posts: 69 Member
    Thanks everyone! Comforting to know I’m not alone. Trying to remind myself today that it was only one day and I can just keep continuing Doug what I’m doing

(Especially important because when I weighed myself today I was up 1.3 lbs - rationally I KNOW that can’t be from eating 4 cookies and a little chocolate - probably totalling no more than 400 or 500 calories. But it’s hard!!!!)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I had a problem with Reeses and also jerky. I don't anymore. I think months and months of logging and realizing that everything I eat has to be recorded has broken me of it. I can now eat a small amount and move on.
  • merekins
    merekins Posts: 228 Member
    Halloween candy...smarties, reese’s, etc. I don’t even really like it so I just avoid it all together. Not sure why but if I have one, I just want to keep eating. Doesn’t happen with other chocolate or sweets. I can have one piece of what I consider good chocolate and be happy. But a mini butterfinger or peppermint patty and I want to eat all the things.
  • Iknewyouweretrouble
    Iknewyouweretrouble Posts: 561 Member
    yes... and it’s not even a bad for you food. it’s garden of eatin pea chips. they have a unique taste and every time i buy a bag i eat the whole thing. they’re kinda like beanitos. i love/hate them. i used to have a pop tart problem. lovely amount of calories those are. oreos trigger me also.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    I used to have several of them. But I think the longer you do weight loss, the easier it becomes to overcome some things that were tougher to control before. For instance now I have gotten pretty good at fitting burger and fries in without going over my goal or needing to have one every day. But when I started, I more or less had to give them up because when I had one I wanted them constantly.

The last trigger food I am working on is pizza. It is very hard for me to not want to have the entire pizza. So I still have to limit the amount of times I have it to very few because I stk struggle with control.
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Kebabs
  • MarisaMSimon
    MarisaMSimon Posts: 277 Member
    My trigger food is hot Cheetos. Omg I can eat an entire big bag in one sitting and then my stomach pays for it the next day! I eat hot Cheetos during my diet breaks or vacation only because of the triggering effect that makes me go into a downward spiral and eat all foods in a binge. Therefore, I only allow myself to have hot Cheetos during higher calorie times and that may be once every 3 months or so.
  • helene4
    helene4 Posts: 120 Member
    edited May 2019
    Important note: scientists work to enhance the taste of many American processed foods to make them more addictive so we eat more/buy more. No joke.

I think our food system is the problem not necessarily us

Anyway lol

I tend to overeat (and so keep out of the House)
    Chips
    Almonds
    Any dessert
    Cheese

This is a super cool thread!
  • teranga79
    teranga79 Posts: 202 Member
    Yep, am exactly the same (only with much, MUCH bigger binges lol!) For me it's biscuits (cookies) and cake. Also chocolate to some extent, although am slightly better with that. If I have a biscuit or piece of cake I won't be able to sit still until I've found and demolished enough for at least 20 people.