Diabetic, Overweight & Mentally Unwell

Options
My reasons for coming back to MFP again (and actually using it and sticking to it) are not simply just for weight loss (although it is a driving factor because I would feel better physically as well as mentally), but also to get my diabetes under control (and avoid insulin) and to help my mental health improve (my anxiety and depression have never been worse, and the worse my health is, the worse they seem to get and vice versa).

I'm not entirely sure which category this will fit best in, so I'm going to choose the original category of General Health, Fitness & Diet. I've been diabetic for a few years now and feel like I've failed at it completely. It startled me, I got the basic gist of what I needed to do, have taken any meds as prescribed, etc. but for some reason, until recently I never really looked more into it or took it seriously enough to also modify my diet and exercise choices. Hearing your doctor say 'I think you need to go on insulin' when you're supposed to have been losing weight and eating better to reduce your numbers is a little terrifying, disappointing, frustrating and a plethora of other things.

To boot, I am suffering from some pretty severe anxiety and depression. It's severe enough that I am currently not working and feel unable to work as a result of it. That is frustrating by itself and makes it hard not to be really self-abusive. Then throw on top of it that I'm failing at being diabetic and leading myself down a path I am terrified of (insulin, inability to afford insulin, amputations, damaged eyesight, death, etc.) I feel like a total failure. To deal with my emotions, I eat and I play on the computer (games, YouTube, Netflix, basically any escape from reality) and live a generally sedentary life as a result.

There is SO much more to the story and it feels like all aspects are so intricately intertwined that if even one falters, all will go tumbling down. It feels like there is so much to lose if I fail at it this time, including my health mentally and physically, relationships, reputation, even the very land I live on. With that in mind, I'm going to give this another go and use this thread as a progress checker as well (because it's cathartic to type these beyond just looking at charts), but I welcome anyone else's thoughts, experiences, ideas, etc.

Anybody else's plate so overfull they're not sure where to begin?

For Progress Tracking's Sake

SW-303
CW-303
GW-151

SA1C-10.7
CA1C-10.7
GA1C-6

Exercise - 30 Mins Brisk Walking (daily)

Diet - MFP guidelines PLUS Diabetic guidelines, still working out the kinks

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome back! You sound like you are struggling more than I have experience with, but I do know what it feels like to be overwhelmed and deal with depression and anxiety along with major medical issues. For me, I just have to pick one thing to seriously focus on at a time. If I jump right in and try to fix everything all at once, I very quickly burn out and fail. What has worked for me before on this site is to take a set amount of time, usually a month, and just focus on logging. I don't set a goal of staying within a calorie deficit or eating healthier or increasing exercise noticeably. My goal will be to just get in the habit of logging everything every day. From there it becomes easier for me to start working on staying within my calorie goal, and after that I focus on my macros. I don't have diabetes, so I'm not trying to tell you what to prioritize. That is just what has worked for me.
  • Riley9460
    Riley9460 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Good for you for taking concrete steps. Small steps, small goals over time make a big difference. Look to MFP for support... it's been so helpful to me this time (we won't talk about the previous times:) Also consider talking to a therapist (ideally one who specializes in weight issues) ... I originally went once a month and now maybe 3 or 4 times a year just to "check-in". The cost of therapy is way less than the cost of the consequences of diabetes ... think of it as a medical expense if that helps.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    You've come to the right place! Keep your expectations realistic and your eye on the prize! If you slip up, <mentally> dust yourself off; log it accurately and move on. Be kind to yourself always.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on starting with what is going to help you the most. I was what my doctor called prediabetic. According to the hospital when I went I was Diabetic. Type 2 of course and I was carrying around 100 lbs too much. I slowly lost the weight by counting calories and started walking 6 days a week. As a result I am off the meds and my sugars are normal. I just want to say it will make a difference but you need to be patient as your body heals.

As for the depression, I find my daily walk often helps with that. It's not a cure all but I'm feeling better than I was 3.5 years ago when I started. Take your time and don't try to walk 10,000 steps the first day. My goal is still only 8,000/day and when I started it was like 2,000. If you don't like to walk try swimming or something else that you enjoy. This needs to be a lifestyle change that's permanent. I still log everything I eat and I've been in maintenance for almost a year and a half. I will never stop because it keeps me honest. Good luck.