Can I really do this? ... 2 weeks in

Options
sarebearr
sarebearr Posts: 59 Member
edited May 2019 in Getting Started
Hi guys! I'm feeling really nervous about losing weight for some reason. I think it's because I've been down this journey before with a lot less to lose.. A few years ago I weighed 148 and got down to 133 at my lowest thanks to tracking calories/macros, and learning to love exercise. Maintained between 135 -140 for a year or two. Then last year, within a few months my weight shot up to 160. This is due to completely letting my diet and exercise go as well as to switching birth control methods. Now I'm more motivated than EVER before. But I have so much to lose. My goal weight is 115. I have never lost than much before...the max I've lost was 15 lbs. Can I actually lose 45? I'm 5'3", female. Started MFP again 2 weeks ago and I'm down to 156. I'm consuming 1200 calories a day and trying to work out 3 times a week. Is this really possible?! I know its an aggressive goal but it's also within a healthy BMI range for my height/age/sex. Healthy range is 104-141. What are your thoughts? Anyone with similar stats been successful?!

Replies

• shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    If you think you can't 'actually lose 45', go check out the Success Stories forum for some inspiration :)
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Yes you can! If I did you can too! I'm female, 33 years old, 5'2" and so far have lost 46 with a goal of losing 66, If you take a look over at my avatar that is me losing 45lbs :)
  • CharlieCharlie007
    CharlieCharlie007 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You can do it. It just takes, work, proper nutrition, and consistency. Plus time and patience. Friend me up,Shaf too, he is a good boy.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

You don't have that much to lose, All you have to lose is 5lbs then re-evaluate your self again, if you have to lose 5 more lbs. Now depending on your activities, you should be able to lose 5lbs a month. Just focus on 5lbs.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    In my 30's I weighed 130kg (285lb) and managed to drop my weight down to 105kg (231lb). Over the course of a decade and a half I put on a load more weight and in Jan 2018 at age 44 I tipped the scales at around 160kg (352lb). So just like you I was faced with the prospect of having to not only lose weight but to lose weight from a much worse starting point. That was pretty daunting and also very disheartening as I'm sure you know.

So I decided the first thing I needed to do was to get back to the original starting line. Forget about getting back down to the 105kg I was before I just needed to get back to where I was when I started my previous weight loss effort. So my first goal was to get back to 130kg. I did this by getting to 150kg and then by getting to 140kg. Then, once I got back to 130kg it gave me the momentum I needed to keep going.

That was 15 months and 46kg (101lb) ago. I'm now down to 114kg and well within sight of my original lowest weight of 105kg.

Here's the real kicker. Knowing that I've lost almost twice as much weight this time round to get to where I am now (25kg v's 46kg so far this time), has given me the confidence that I can easily surpass my original 'ultimate goal' of just being under 100kg and make it all the way to 83kg and a healthy BMI for my height.
  • sarebearr
    sarebearr Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for being so supportive! It seems with time, consistency and hard work it is possible. I hope I stick to it. Glad I have this community to look to for guidance!
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    It's very possible - BUT - you should eat more than 1200 calories a day. 1200 is the minimum, you should eat at least half of your exercise calories back on top of that. Eating too little is bad for your health and isn't sustainable. You want to be able to do this in a healthy way for the rest of your life, right?

I'm 5'3" and went from 182 to 135 eating a lot more than 1200 calories a day. Slow and steady is the way to go, especially since you don't have a lot of weight to lose.
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Yes it is definitely possible with some dedication! I was thin for the majority of my life and was able to maintain it intuitively. This all changed when I had to go on antipsychotic medication that shot my appetite up aggressively. I went from low 120's to 200 lbs. I initially blamed it all on the medication (not knowing anything about CICO). Went off and on the meds without doctors supervision and wreaked havoc on my life.

It was not until I met my husband and he enlightened me on how weight loss works did I download MFP and really begin losing weight. Once I realized it was within my control I just kept at it! It has been 16 months and I am down 61 lbs with a goal of 15-19 more lbs to go. If I can do it you surely can too :)

Set small weight loss goals, such as 10lbs so its easier to keep track and not feel like you have so much left ahead of you.