Calories burned with extended breastfeeding?

Options
I currently am entering 200 calories a day burned for long-term breastfeeding, but I'm wondering if that is accurate. It is really just a guess on my part, I use the "Breastfeeding - Toddler -200 Cal Per Day" food entry. I understand that breastfeeding typically burns between 200 & 500 calories. Is there a way to know how many calories burned, or is it just a guess? Any other long-term nursing moms on here, how do you enter? My dear son is almost 2 & 1/2. The number of times he nurses is variable; I'm a full-time working mom so less frequently during the week, and more on weekends.

[P.S. I realize that breastfeeding, and extending breastfeeding seem to spark a whole internet debate. I really do not want to open a can of worms, but would sincerely appreciate advice on how many calories burned. :flowerforyou: ]

Thank you!

Replies

• jenlarz
    jenlarz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    It's been awhile since I did that, so I don't know much personally, but I have seen quite a few posts on this subject. Use the search and you may find some good info.
  • JenniferARoss
    JenniferARoss Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks you! I know I see posts here everyday on how to enter breastfeeding, how many calories you should be eating while breastfeeding, etc. etc., but I don't see many posts on long-term nursing.... :smile:
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I'm feeding my 2yr 3m old and to be honest I don't add extra calories as she has very small feeds morning, nap time and evening and I figure with her food intake I'm not too worried about my milk supply (I'd be happy for her to self wean if I'm honest).
    I just make sure I eat a varied diet and try to stick to the calories MFP gives me and so far it doesn't seem to have affected anything.

If I was feeding a younger child I'd add the calories but not at this age.

If you're losing weight (which it looks like you are by your ticker), not feeling ill and your son is feeding happily then I'd carry on as you are.
  • JenniferARoss
    JenniferARoss Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thanks LittleMissDover! That is a very good point, it has been working so far so why change. Thx! This has been my dumb question of the day :):embarassed:
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It's so hard, their feeds can be v variable, and even if they're feeding less frequently than a newborn, they're more efficient and easily drink more. Also the composition of the milk changes when you're feeding a toddler as they obv have different nutritional needs than a newborn (but it's too late here & I can't remember in what way)

Kellymom suggests to add 2-500 calories for nursing and to not drop lower than 1500-1800.

Tbh though, if adding 200 calories helps you and you're still steadily losing, I'd stick with it. If you're comfortable dropping it and both in good health, maybe try that if you want? Keep an eye on frequency of nursing & nursing behaviours but I seriously doubt it'd be that affected. Hydration was the only thing that affected mine by that point, and only then when I was unwell.
    Watch your own health / mood / food behaviour too. I get really grumpy & crave bad food if I drop too low
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    (Oh and I know you asked for no comments on nursing, but a quiet "yay you" How lovely)
  • maryhg123
    maryhg123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just read somewhere that you burn 20 cal for every ounce of milk. Hope that helps!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I just read somewhere that you burn 20 cal for every ounce of milk. Hope that helps!

It won't. You have to put your response in the DeLorean if you want it to get there in time.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    My baby isn't as old as yours (14 months) but I add 200 calories a day. I have absolutely no idea if that is accurate or not. I figured that I would do it and see how the weight loss goes and if I wasn't losing I would eat less, and if i lost too quickly I'd eat more. So far I'm happy with how my weight loss is going, and if anything I'm losing too quickly and could probably eat more. BUT my supply seems to be fine as well, so I'm thinking I've found a good balance. I feel like it's a guessing game really! My 1 year old still nurses quite a bit (5-6 times a day) and refuses to drink cow's milk so I figure I need the extra calories.
  • sramgirl
    sramgirl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    maryhg123 wrote: »

Thank you so much for this tidbit of useful information. Even though your helpful insight was 2 years after the original post, still, years even after that you helped me. Extended breastfeeding information is hard to come by.
  • mimimunchery
    mimimunchery Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Not sure at all about exact numbers but I felt like when I was breastfeeding there was a different between a ravenous infant and an extended breastfeeding toddler. The latter didn’t seem to burn as many calories. Two hundred sounds about right
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    I currently am entering 200 calories a day burned for long-term breastfeeding, but I'm wondering if that is accurate. It is really just a guess on my part, I use the "Breastfeeding - Toddler -200 Cal Per Day" food entry. I understand that breastfeeding typically burns between 200 & 500 calories. Is there a way to know how many calories burned, or is it just a guess? Any other long-term nursing moms on here, how do you enter? My dear son is almost 2 & 1/2. The number of times he nurses is variable; I'm a full-time working mom so less frequently during the week, and more on weekends.

[P.S. I realize that breastfeeding, and extending breastfeeding seem to spark a whole internet debate. I really do not want to open a can of worms, but would sincerely appreciate advice on how many calories burned. :flowerforyou: ]

Thank you!

I would just pick a number (which you've done, you've been logging 200 cals/day) and after a month or so make adjustments (either in what I was logging the breastfeeding as or in my calorie goal) based on my results.
  • Raysie1
    Raysie1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Don't think she's still breastfeeding him now - he's about ten years old!
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Cal burnt = (20cal x oz of milk) ÷0.8 - basal
    Basal = 300cal (0-4months), 400cal (4-5 months), 500cal (6 months+)
    The 0.8 comes from fact your body needs to make the milk. There is 20cal per oz of milk which has been sucked from your stores. The basal is the fact your body adjusts your metabolism to allow you to produce milk without starving.
    I'm pumping an extra 1.1litres per day in addition to feeding so I'm burning just over 1000cal per day. I'm doing this for both weight loss and so I can stop earlier (I. E. Have enough frozen to take mine beyond a year).