Not losing weight but counting calories and carbs!

I have been in a calorie deficit, work out mostly cardio and a couple times a week Strength train .. watching carb intake I have pretty much been trying to lose 10-15 for the past 3 years.. Keto diet helped but caused other issues and I realized I cannot be on it .. I used to be able to lose 10 lbs fast now it’s been 3 years, gym memberships , dedication , hard work and I actually weigh more than when I downloaded this .. any advice is appreciated! I’ve never had my thyroid checked that’s the only thing I’m thinking that could be wrong ..

Replies

• mlk1987
    mlk1987 Posts: 23 Member
    By the way I am 31 , 5”10 , 165 lbs I used to always be around 150 and I was comfortable with that
  • mlk1987
    I should add I did have my gallbladder removed 3 years ago! Not sure if that’s any thing to do with it
  • mlk1987
    I’ve been eating 1,350 a day and plus excersize which usually burns 200-500 cal this app recommends 1500 but I won’t go that high
  • mlk1987
    Maybe I will try 1200 a day
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    If you're certain you've been in a calorie deficit for three years straight with no compliance issues then it's past time to get checked out by a doc. If you have 3 years of solid logging then that should help. Print it all out to take in with you.

Otherwise, it's tough to give suggestions with a closed diary and not many details. I'm guessing you've been through the stickied posts marked as "must reads" by now and followed the advice there (food scale, exercise calories, tend weight app, etc)?
  • mlk1987
    Yes three years of logging besides holidays and I always have a cheat day on the weekends maybe that’s doing it? But the thing is I used to do the same thing before gallbladder surgery and always lost even with a cheat day but I will try and set this tk public so maybe I can get suggestions
  • mlk1987
    Also, so carbs has nothing to do with losing weight? I’ve heard so much debate on this!
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    I meant that if you're not losing weight then by definition you're not in a deficit. If you're really committed then weigh and record absolutely everything you consume.
  • mlk1987
    Thank you all so much!! I will do all that’s suggested even on cheat days! I didn’t think it was possible to actually gain 3 or 4 lbs in one cheat day but 🤷🏼‍♀️I guess I have been ? Lol
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    mlk1987 wrote: »
    Thank you all so much!! I will do all that’s suggested even on cheat days! I didn’t think it was possible to actually gain 3 or 4 lbs in one cheat day but 🤷🏼‍♀️I guess I have been ? Lol

It's possible because of water weight from higher carbs, and an increase in the amount of food in your system. You have to eat 3500 calories over what you've burned in order to gain 1 pound of fat. If you've eaten somewhere over 5000 calories in one day, you may have gained a pound of fat. Otherwise, dont worry about it and itll come off in a few days.
  • bionicpuffy
    bionicpuffy Posts: 93 Member
    One thing that comes to mind is whether your measurements have stayed the same. If you’ve been exercises mich as you say, perhaps the weight is actually muscle gain.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Wait..I have tons a questions for the OP.
    are you measuring your food. Do you weight it, with a food scale?
    Do you exercise? do you record how much calories you burn with a hear rate monitor. It doesn't need to be accurate, it just needs to give you a base line, and here why.
    If the scale is not moving, then exercise more, by burning off an extra 100 calories a day per week.
  • mlk1987
    Yes I do all these things I have a Fitbit that says I burn wayyy more than I consume I always keep a log on here of what I eat idk I guess I’ll have to just keep going
  • mlk1987
    I excersize 5 times a week
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    I could be completely wrong and will most likely get woo'd here but if you remove your gallbladder shouldn't you NOT have a diet very high in fat?

I just recall reading something that said that in the last couple of days. No references, nothing, it was probably a random thing I scrolled past on Instagram, so yes, as mentioned previously - I don't actually know.

Other than that, it is probably as others have mentioned. Not tracking accurately.

Also, if you work out TDEE and use that instead of MFP method you don't need to worry about eating exercise calories, which could be wrong anyway.