Cutting out meat in my diet??

Options

Replies

• gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Removing meat from your diet can be hard for some. I'm vegan and it was not a hard decision for me. I never ate much meat - mainly fish, occasional chicken. But you do have to pay more attention to your nutrition. Being vegan, all animal sources of out for me. I have to watch not only protein consumption, but iron and calcium intake as well. That said, there are vegans who are overweight and unhealthy. It's not simply cutting meat out - it's your whole dietary picture. Try replacing what you eat with leaner cuts of meat/fish and have a few vegetarian meals a week and see how that works for you. You can always cut out more.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    For bacon lovers, I recommend the low fat center cut option. I also use kitchen shears to trim down the excess fat before making it. Yum!
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I went vegan and didn't lose any weight from doing so. But then once I started purposely dieting and counting my calories the weight began to come off, whereas, for years before that when I had been eating meat, I'd tried losing weight several times and it didn't work. So, cutting out meat by itself, no miracle for me. But I think it DID play a big part.
    Everyone is different though, I think cutting out meat probably effects your body more as far as weight loss goes if you have a lot of weight to lose. A friend of mine made no other purposeful change in the way she ate besides going vegetarian (and then later vegan) and she effortlessly lost 100lbs pretty quick and cut her insulin medicine by a LOT.
  • AmandaCG
    AmandaCG Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Cutting out meat in your diet is not going to help you lose weight, it will make you healthier on the inside if you follow some guidelines and proper nutrition, and it will keep you from eating Burger King, but you have to be really careful about getting enough protein and vitamins from other sources. I have been a vegetarian for 2 years and me not eating meat had nothing to do with my weight loss, in fact I gained weight when I first made the choice. Sometimes I wish I could still eat fish and chicken but I just can't do it.. My best suggestion would be to do research research research first and then slowly make the change...If you only eat a little meat with your salad then just cut it out all together, just be sure not to replace it with too much fatty cheese or croutons! HA! Replace it with some black beans or a few almonds....hope this helped a little!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I was a vegan for the past month, it was surprisingly easy and I never even took that vegetarian step.

I didn’t notice a single difference in myself, so it was a fun experiment but it’s over now. If it doesn't benefit ME, sorry, I can't save everything on this planet so I'm quitting at recycling and focusing on being my healthiest self.

Experts say when you go vegan you should feel lighter b/c meat/dairy are hard to digest. Some people even report detox-like feelings. I noticed absolutely nothing. My weight remained the same but you have to watch your carbs carefully, you are bound to go up in carb intake b/c protein sources like beans are also big carb sources which is annoying.

So I’m back to enjoying meat, it makes hitting protein requirements easier and making dinner for the 2 of us much easier.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I was a vegan for the past month, it was surprisingly easy and I never even took that vegetarian step.

I didn’t notice a single difference in myself, so it was a fun experiment but it’s over now. If it doesn't benefit ME, sorry, I can't save everything on this planet so I'm quitting at recycling and focusing on being my healthiest self.

Experts say when you go vegan you should feel lighter b/c meat/dairy are hard to digest. Some people even report detox-like feelings. I noticed absolutely nothing. My weight remained the same but you have to watch your carbs carefully, you are bound to go up in carb intake b/c protein sources like beans are also big carb sources which is annoying.

So I’m back to enjoying meat, it makes hitting protein requirements easier and making dinner for the 2 of us much easier.

Meat is glad to have you back :)
  • AmandaCG
    AmandaCG Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 20 years, and would never go back, but you really do have to be careful about finding other protein sources. If you don't mind the chicken, it's really not that bad for you-low fat, high protein... Sometimes I think life would be much easier if I ate chicken.

OH MY GOSH, I couldn't agree more!!!!!
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I went pescatarian back in April - I have lost 23lbs or so...I'm not going to say that it was the lack of meat in my diet as it was the overall changes that I made. I eat better, I eat less, I work out more.....But I do know that I feel less sluggish than I did when I ate meat. For me, it was a good choice...plus I don't want Jesus to kill kittens so that I can enjoy a big ol' plate of bloody cow.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

Meat is glad to have you back :)

Awwww thanks!
  • sffre
    sffre Posts: 19
    Options
    I think it is a personal decision. My mom eats meat daily and she maintains a weight below 110 lbs.
    I decided to stop eating beef & dairy for a while since I am lactose intolerant. I currently only eat Turkey & maybe chicken once a week and I am slowly losing the weight.

Good Luck!

Sherry
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    i started incorporating more meat into my diet and I have actually lost more weight that way... it keeps me satiated for way longer. I really just think balance is key- make sure you are eating veggies and getting a good source of protein during your meals.

Becoming a vegetarian just to drop weight makes no sense...I know a lot of fat vegetarians lol.

I've done the same. I became a vegetarian when I was 18 and started eating loads of cheese and carbs (which is how I gained loads of weight). I've started eating seafood and lean meat and cutting way back on carbs which has helped me to lose weight.
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    It's not about meat, it's about calorie consumption in total, if you dont have that chicken in your salad and instead eat a peanut butter sandwich which has more calories. Get your calories right. If you really want to cut something out for weight loss cut out grains.
  • jillrules169
    jillrules169 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    WHY would you cut out tasty bacony goodness!?? WHY??? *LOL*

lol :)
  • jillrules169
    jillrules169 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    im just asking basically if anyone has lost weight from cutting meat in their diet for awhile
    im not saying im never gonna eat meat ever again,
  • eamconnor
    eamconnor Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big meat eater, and in fact have been vegetarian for long periods of my life. However, I find it's a lot of work for me to get enough of the right kind of protein on a vegetarian diet. I just don't want to do that extra work right now -- on top of logging food, working out, etc. It's easier for me to get protein from modest amounts of fish, lean chicken, and lean beef.
  • End6ame
    End6ame Posts: 903
    Options
    Vegans/vegetarians may actually have a greater risk of heart disease than omnivores. Here is one article with links out to a couple of studies on the matter.

http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/01/06/vegetarians-and-heart-disease/

In summation, the vegans/vegetarians had thicker arterial walls and elevated lipid indicators that could result in heart disease. Things like increased LDL and decreased HDL (the opposite of what you want) over their omnivore counter-parts.
  • tlcurr7u
    tlcurr7u Posts: 19
    Options
    i would be very careful cutting meat out of your diet because you can give yourself mono if you dont intake enough protein.
  • PalmettoparkGuy
    PalmettoparkGuy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest giving up meat for weight loss purposes. I don't eat meat because I think it's gross, but there are benefits to eating lean meats in moderation.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    And for the record, I don't actually hate cats. I don't actually believe a cat dies every time you eat meat. It was in jest. Sheesh.
  • Aurelina
    Aurelina Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    So I'm 50 and melting faster and more easily than I have ever have in my life. Oh yah, and I'm eating more fat and meat than ever. The majority of my fat cals are from coconut milk because I finally figured out the dairy fat was constantly awakening my appetite. My yum treats are low carb veggies, red wine, and super dark chocolate. Make my own jerky with no stuff on my stuff. Always have a crunchy low sodium high protein treat with that. Took me a long time to learn that I need loads of fat for energy. Low carb without the mega good fat is hell - fat gives me energy!! The meat protein seems to keep my appetite mostly asleep. And I do not exercise to lose weight. I love exercise - it's a devine drug to me - but I take it easy so I don't wake up the hunger beast. Who wudda thunk it?! So many years of low fat salad munching hard cardio driving....

Meat! I'm a beast.

Finally, I'm on easy street. YMMV of course.

Bacon = candy!