Anyone else hate running?

Options

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    LOATHE running.
    I like playing soccer and basketball. I don't mind the running in the game, but running for it's own sake...loathe. Still...I kinda want to eventually run a 5k or do something like a Tough Mudder. In the 5k training programs I get to where we stop intervals and it's only straight running and I quit. Every time. It's misery. I like interval training, like what most lay people call HIIT or tabata even though it really isn't.
  • dibaridominic6839
    dibaridominic6839 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello, I’m coleen and I hate running. There... I said it... whew.
    What are your favorite types of exercise that AREN’T running?
    I’ve found walking to be the most convenient, but I also do love swimming. I think I may need to take lessons again though because I don’t feel very coordinated while doing laps 😂

personally my favorite type of exercise is not running not swimming not lifting weights but in fact the workout of carrying my co workers on my back day in and day out!!!!! I have lost at least 30 pounds from this, I am now 6 foot 7 255 pounds!!! i recommend it to very little only the strong willed!!!!!!!!!!! :smiley: smiley :smiley:
  • almostsuperpowered
    almostsuperpowered Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I super enjoy the stair climber at the gym -- the one with like the actual stairs on it. I listen to a funny podcast and time flies. It's a great burn too.
  • TonnnnUK
    TonnnnUK Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I find running boring, plus no design of ear buds stay in my ears!
    Prefer to do circuit training with or without weights, insanity style bodyweight sessions, or boxing / jump rope training.
    So long as you are covered in sweat and your heart is racing, jobs good!
  • Devil_Dawg
    Devil_Dawg Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I used to but it's just getting those first few steps i to my run which makes it worthwhile. I would say for myself that it's a bit harder when the weather is colder.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    It's sad that there has been such proselytizing of running that people feel guilty if they don't like it.
    It shouldn't be a big deal. None of us like everything.

Agreed. It's the trap of it being "convenient" in that "you only need running shoes".

I also feel like it's been built up as the definition of what a "fit" person is. Like to be considered athletic, you need to be good at running.

Sometimes I feel like I'm not athletic because I can barely run down the street, but then I can handle 15 rounds of full contact, full body sparring. So runners may be more athletic than me in certain ways, but I am in others.

Running is great for those who enjoy it, but it is certainly not the be all and end all of deifning what athletic means.

You can tell it's an identity thing because you see people all the time on these boards saying "I want to be a runner" or "I guess I'm a runner now!" No one ever says "I want to be a Zumba-er" or "I want to be an airdyner." Being a "runner" is aspirational for a lot of people, I think.

Personally I hate running because I am in no way built for it and it's boring and miserable. Also running isn't going to help me carry an armload of groceries and cat litter up three flights of stairs, but a 185-lb squat sure will.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I have always loved walking. I know it isn't the greatest thing when it comes to exercise, but it is just so calming, and I can daydream as much as I please while I do so. <3
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I’ve found walking to be the most convenient, but I also do love swimming. I think I may need to take lessons again though because I don’t feel very coordinated while doing laps 😂

GO GATORS! :smiley:

I went high school and college in Gainesville. Always the place I call home.

Well, *cough* I love running LOL, but I also really enjoy switching things up and swimming is also very enjoyable. Rock climbing too.

Though there are days when I'm running I'm think, "WTF did I decide to do this to myself?" HEHE.

Anyways, loving the convo in this thread.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options

GO GATORS! :smiley:

I went high school and college in Gainesville. Always the place I call home.

Well, *cough* I love running LOL, but I also really enjoy switching things up and swimming is also very enjoyable. Rock climbing too.

Though there are days when I'm running I'm think, "WTF did I decide to do this to myself?" HEHE.

Anyways, loving the convo in this thread.

It would have been quite the plot twist if @RunnerGrl1982 came on here to talk about how much she hated running lol
  • RunnerGrl1982
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    It would have been quite the plot twist if @RunnerGrl1982 came on here to talk about how much she hated running lol

HAHA. Accurate.

Dang it! I should have taken my opportunity to complain a bit. :lol:

• jessrainsb
    jessrainsb Posts: 38 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    My favorite things right now are riding bikes with my kids, (when it's nice out *sigh*) And playing Kinect fitness games. I was doing youtube workout videos but quickly got bored. With kinect there are a lot of options and my kids take turns playing with me so it makes it more fun.
  • emeraldwoods4214
    emeraldwoods4214 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    @RunnerGrl1982
    Awesome!! I don’t know if you’ve visited recently but everything has changed so much in the past 8 years since I’ve been here!! You wouldn’t recognize it 😂
  • RunnerGrl1982
    Options
    @RunnerGrl1982
    Awesome!! I don’t know if you’ve visited recently but everything has changed so much in the past 8 years since I’ve been here!! You wouldn’t recognize it 😂

Yes! My family still resides in Florida, so I have been back within the past few years. It's definitely a lot different. So much growth, and I thought it was already a packed place when I lived there. :lol:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    kzl5syemo6kf.png
  • sockmenace
    sockmenace Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't hate running but I have pretty delicate knees so it has always totally jacked them up when I start.

Instead I love Zumba on the Xbox 360 (yes, it's old) and recently got turned on to Piyo which is one of those Beach Body programs. It's a serious BUTT KICKER and aside from the constant Shakeology ads in the paid content, it's actually fun and low impact for people with crappy knees who want to be buff.
  • StargazerB
    StargazerB Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I don't hate running but I think it hates me. I get pretty bad ankle pain from running. I've tried all kinds of different shoes. I've tried the treadmill, the road, and on a track. Always have the ankle pain, it's bilateral.
    I do enjoy walking, hiking, swimming, biking, and dancing for cardio.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I detest it. Running outside, that is. I don't mind it as much on a treadmill. I'd rather do rowing or spinning. I think spin class i a better cardio workout and it's not so rough on my poor old-lady knees.
  • alibikini22
    alibikini22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    over here! I hate running, it is NOT for me. If I'm outside, its a swift walk, but otherwise my favourite is kettlebell drills and HIIT. I think I basically need to change it up every so often, I can't take too much of just one thing
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    kellie7850 wrote: »
    Yep me. Have a real mental block over running. It’s like my body is screaming what are you doing lol.

I appreciate this. Sure people can't run from painful biomechanical problems. But I get judgey and just think..people are afraid of the effort, afraid of appearing in public exercising, ashamed, blah, blah...and they can just use the excuse "bad knees"
    (research shows old people who run tend to have healthier knees than old people who don't run)

But that is just me being a curmudgeon. You saying it is a "mental block" is beautiful, and I totally get that. I believe your good insight will get you far.