Low energy while dieting

Options
My third day on my diet 182lbs and on a 1200 cal diet. I feel very sluggish and tired. Today I feel asleep while my son was at school, ended up getting a call from the school. I had overslept and was late picking up my son. I’ve never done that before. Advice?

Replies

• stricklee11
    stricklee11 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    When I started trying to lose weight this time around, I was feeling very tired and sluggish by 5pm. And for the record, I was consuming 1,600 calories per day with no added exercise. It took my body about a month to acclimate to the lower caloric intake. Now, at 1470 calories a day, I feel fine.
    Depending on your height/weight, I'd also up the amount of calories you consume. I remember trying to lose weight on 1200 last January and quit after 2 weeks due to massive migraines.

• Eddie_Ice
    Eddie_Ice Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I feel this, trying to count and cut calories the last few days has me feeling quite tired. I spend a considerable amount of time during the week running but still every day its getting harder and harder to push myself to do the next run.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,951 Member
    Options
    Eddie_Ice wrote: »
    I feel this, trying to count and cut calories the last few days has me feeling quite tired. I spend a considerable amount of time during the week running but still every day its getting harder and harder to push myself to do the next run.

What is your deficit as a % of your TDEE? Are you trying to create a >20% deficit while slightly overweight or normal weight?
  • Eddie_Ice
    Eddie_Ice Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Eddie_Ice wrote: »

What is your deficit as a % of your TDEE? Are you trying to create a >20% deficit while slightly overweight or normal weight?

My deficit is right at 30% while on the low end of overweight for my height. At 6'1 202 does not sound big but it feels big.
  • piddings1951
    piddings1951 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had the same exact thing happen when I first started dieting. It made it hard to get my workouts in. I ended up increasing my calories to 1400. (I’m 123lbs) i still lost .5 lb a week but i felt a lot better.
  • BuiltLikeAPeep
    BuiltLikeAPeep Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    @tjsims8 I agree with everyone that you may just be eating too little. However, it's a good idea to go to the doctor and have some bloodwork done to be on the safe side. I've been dieting and working out seriously since November 2018, and have had the same problem- fatigue and falling asleep- and I just found out that I have anemia. My iron stores have depleted to half of what they should be. Definitely see a doctor if you're feeling a little dizzy or off balance, that is what made me go to the doctor in the first place.
  • tjsims8
    tjsims8 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    @tjsims8 I agree with everyone that you may just be eating too little. However, it's a good idea to go to the doctor and have some bloodwork done to be on the safe side. I've been dieting and working out seriously since November 2018, and have had the same problem- fatigue and falling asleep- and I just found out that I have anemia. My iron stores have depleted to half of what they should be. Definitely see a doctor if you're feeling a little dizzy or off balance, that is what made me go to the doctor in the first place.

I have been told that I am slightly anemic. I never thought about that being the reason. Thank You
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    tjsims8 wrote: »

I have been told that I am slightly anemic. I never thought about that being the reason. Thank You

It can definitely be a factor. I’m iron-deficient anemic, and bone-crushing fatigue was my biggest symptom.