The Price for being born - Natural birth or C-Sections

Options

Replies

• jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I don't have my own kids. I used to think "knock me out, wake me up and hand me my kid wrapped in a cute little blanket!" was the way to go. Now - if I *could* have my own baby, whatever the medical professional I trusted told me was the best way to get the baby here safe and sound - I would go with that. Period.
  • e_amanda
    e_amanda Posts: 19
    Options
    I had a natural delivery (no drugs), but in hospital. I'm glad I was there because I had retained placenta and was at risk for hemmorage after the birth if not sent to the OR immediately. A friend had a home birth with her second and had the same thing happen. Luckily her midwife knew to call an ambulance and she was rushed to hospital. Lost a lot of blood but was ok in the end. I think overall the less medical intervention the better, but of course if mom or baby is at risk then every option needs to be considered. I do not think that cesarian sections should be offered as a choice in otherwise healthy pregnancies/deliveries.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    The best research to do is talk to your mother and her female blood relatives. Not always, but pregnancies and deliveries tend to run in families. It helps a doctor to havean idea what to expect - if the doctor cares. Many are just there to cover their own butts and cash the check.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    C-sections have their place. They can be a life-saving procedure for both mother and baby. Are they done too often? Yes. But I feel like this kind of a dialogue almost always ends up putting moms on the defensive when they've had a c-section. Most of the people I know who have had them didn't plan to have them -- it just happened, either due to an actual medical emergency or a perceived one. It's rare that a mother just has a c-section because she prefers it that way.

There are doctors and hospitals who seem to push c-sections on their patients. The best way to prevent that is to research the c-section rate for your doctor and the hospital where you will be delivering. If it's higher than 25% and the doctor does not specialize in high-risk pregnancies, it's probably best to find another doctor.
  • clw_888
    clw_888 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Before having my baby girl 11 months ago, I was probably the most anti c-section person that I know! My pregnancy was a tough one and I was on bed rest from week 28-36 because they thought I was at risk for pre-mature labor. I had ultrasounds and fetal monitoring weekly as well as fetal fibronectin tests to confirm whether or not she was going to be born. Fast forward to week 41 and still no baby! My doc finally suggests I schedule to be induced as she thinks that the baby is going to be born fairly large.

So I go in to be induced and end up not even needing the Pitocin as the Cervadil put me into labor. I progressed rather quickly and spent about 2 exhausting hours trying to push her out. I used only pain meds...no epidural. After the two hours of pushing I was exhausted and couldn't go on any longer. I asked the docs to just get her out of me. They unfortunately had to use the vacuum to extract her and her shoulder got stuck. So..in addition to the episiotomy to use the vacuum I went home with a 4th degree tear and a 10 lb 10 oz little girl.

Here I am a year later and I am seeing doctors about repairing damaged tissues that never healed up correctly as most OB's don't really know how to repair a 4th degree tear. Sometime in the future I will have to go and have another surgery to repair the damage from the delivery. At no point in my pregnancy, until week 41, did my doc suggest that my baby was going to be large. At no point in my pregnancy or one of the 15 ultrasounds I had did the doc request a weight on my baby. At no point did my doc ever talk with me about what can actually happen to your body if you attempt to deliver a very large baby. At no point did my doc suggest anything about C-section.

To date I have learned I will never be able to have another vaginal delivery , all future births must be done via C-section to prevent any further damage to my body.

So, as much as you want to trust your doc and hope that they are looking out for what is best for you, it isn't always the case. As a first time mother, I didn't know the right questions to ask or topics to bring up with my doctor. I figured that they would guide me as they are the EXPERTS! This isn't the case. My advice is to just read and research as much as you can to learn about all possible scenarios that can happen. Be open to whatever is needed to get your baby out safely and to keep you health as well! It may not be the birth plan you intended when you went into it but you and the baby are the most important thing!

As for me...I didn't have gestational diabetes and I went into my pregnacy at a BMI of about 25.4. Yes overweight, but barely.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    ive never had a C section - that was my second biggest fear (1st biggest fear was episiotomy)
    I had a hospital birth with epidural, pethidine etc with my first baby, and for my last two i had natural unmedicated homebirths.
    My homebirths were absolutely awesome amazing experiences. After i delivered my 10lb baby boy, drug free on my living room floor, i just felt like a lioness. i could have ROARED with pride. Amazing midwife, amazing support from my partner, I was up and about again the same day.
    I dont regret my hospital birth as i think its useful for a first birth to see how your body copes with labour, but as an experience, there is no comparison to a homebirth
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    The only reason I had a c-section was because of the size and position of my twins. They never turned and were out of room by the time they were supposed to turn downward. They would have both been breech. I wouldn't have minded the other way.

that's the exact same thing that happened to me. I went into it naturally, but baby A (my daugher) was a footling breech AND her cord was between her legs, so it was into the OR we went :( I'm actually still kinda of mourning over my birth story but I am very happy that my twins and I survived!
  • leynak
    leynak Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I have had two daughters and had to been induced both times(they both didn't want to come out). I never had to have a c-section though and I don't plan on it. I would like one more baby & I want it to be an at home natural birth. I just feel like it would be so much more special..

Hopefully I won't have to be induced again...
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I have 2 babies - both by c-section. First was "emergency" after 32 hours of labor. I was fully dialated, and pushed for 2 hours, but with each contraction he progressed, then slid back when it was over. Turns out he had the cord wrapped around his neck twice. He was literally at the end of his rope and couldn't move any further. I was absolutely against having him that way, and cried when they took me down for surgery. Second baby was a planned c-section. LOVED IT! If we have another, I'm planning that c-section too.

Cost-wise, our insurance has a reasonable "max-out-of-pocket" amount, so it cost me the same either way.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Both of mine were c-sections. Neither by choice. First was emergency, stopped progressing at 5cm, and each contraction brought his heart rate down. He was trying desperately to get out too. He was sunny side up, which didn't help either, nor did my narrow pelvis. He even came out with a cone head like those born naturally!

Second I had in OK, where they do not do VBACs. I really wanted to have one, but it wasn't allowed :(

If I had the choice, I would have labored at home longer with the first one and refused to be induced, things might have turned out differently. Recovery is painful, but drugs help (and I breastfed, there are many safe ones you can take). My tummy muscles will never be the same without surgery, I can handle my 'flap' but hate the separation I have around my belly button.
  • RachelH25
    RachelH25 Posts: 108
    Options
    I had my son naturally and let me tell you....you will never feel more empowered in you life after you go through it.
  • shelbym87
    shelbym87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have one child. A boy, a month shy of his third birthday now. My mother had both a natural (no drugs) vaginal delivery (me), & a csection because my sister was breeched. Since I can remember I've heard sbout how horrible that csec was. So I was terrified. Was completely against a csection. I was a week late with my son, getting ready the night before my scheduled induction ( i was not excited about this, but no progress yet). Then my doctor calls and says "OH, sorry, you're not being induced tmrw, your baby is measuring 10LBS 14OZ. I haven't seen a baby this big & it's not safe to try a natural delivery at your size." About then is when I panicked lol. Didn't want a csection OR a giant kid! In then end my son wad not THAT big. But 9lbs 8oz wad big enough :) As for the c-section? The spinal block they give is painful. Then you are paralyzed with numbness which is a feeling I didn't like. But as soon as that wore off it was replaced with extreme pain, cramping. Couldn't sit up for days. Then you are warned not to pick up anything over 10lbs. Well my child in his car seat was easily over that and I pulled a muscle on the side of my insicion.

So, what's the moral of my story? Avoid a c-section. A lot of women (especially my age or so) think it will be easier. But in no way is it. I look at a natural delivery as intense pain for a very short time that ends with you holding your baby. With a c-section, you're pain free during delivery but when baby comes is when the pain begins!
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I had my son naturally and let me tell you....you will never feel more empowered in you life after you go through it.

I will say that I agree with this. My daughter was born in a hospital with an epidural, and it was fine. My son was born in a freestanding birth center with absolutely no drugs. And while it was kind of awful the second time around, and I was in pain for a really long time (I was in labor for days), and I had complications -- I'd still do it that way again a million times before I had another epidural. I felt awesome. At least, I felt awesome after I regained the liter of blood I lost. :laugh: Still... no more babies for me. I have enough.
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I don't have children but I know the stories of my mom and my best friend.

First, my mom. When my brother was born my mom ended up doing an emergency C-section. She went into the ER 2 weeks before her due date screaming something was wrong. The first ER doctor told her to go home (jerK!). She waited for the shift change and then went back. The 2nd doctor says you're right something's wring we're going in right now. Proceed to emergency C-section. They get her in the operating room and when they get her open they realize her appendix is about to explode because she had undiagnosed acute appendicitus.They yanked her appendix out first. The doctor turned to pull my brother and the nurse turned to set down the tray with the appendix on it. As she turned, it ruptured. If they had waited any longer, my mom's appendix would have ruptured while still inside her and very well could have killed both her and my brother.

My best friend had an emergency C-section with her daughter (her oldest). She never dialated enough to be able to complete the labor. Because they knew this was an issue for her, both of her boys were scheduled c-sections.

I think that while it's great for a woman to want to have a child naturally away from a hospital, there are other risks involved as well. Several stories here show that if the mom had chosen this course of action, it could have ended in disaster. When I have children I will never take the cost of labor into consideration. For me it's all about the safest course of action for both me and my child.
  • Sagelit
    Sagelit Posts: 78
    Options
    From my understanding a lot of insurance companies won't cover a VBAC due to the risk of complications.

That’s a horrible factor Americans have to consider when birthing children.

Luckily in Canada it's all Free! - giving birth at least....

It's not free. You don't see the charges, but the taxpayers pay for it, and the doctors still try to bill as fast as they can so the government pays them faster. I worked in medical malpractice and saw how often doctors go too fast so they can bill more time.
  • gemco
    gemco Posts: 129
    Options
    baby 1 - 4 day labour, hospital birth, epidural (though not a great one) not a great experience, didnt bond with my son for over a year.

baby 2 - 24 hour labour then prolapsed cord so section under GA, didnt see baby for 12 hours, bonded instantly then.

if i have another, it will be a section, though i dont make the decision lightly. i felt more pride after my first birth, and my husband was in total awe of me. second time we were both just traumatised.
  • Nancyhusanu
    Options
    I have three children (17, 13, 10). They were all born at home. It was the most exhilarating, empowering thing I have ever done!! (and my labors were 36, 25, 30 hours respectively) Having said that, it was for ME. I feel very strongly that a woman has to decide for herself what she is most comfortable with, certainly listen to your partner, but not even they should be able to make the choice for you. Be very comfortable with your practitioner - you are literally trusting your baby's life with that person, so make sure they are trustworthy. I totally advocate and border on preaching about breastfeeding - but not homebirth!

I too had a few complications with my first birth, but I knew that what ever my midwife said was in my best interest, because I trusted her completely!

My husband was less than excited that I chose a homebirth the first time around, but grew to appreciate it after the experience and fully supported me the next two times.

Good for you for doing your research before hand, and the best of luck with what ever you choose.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I might be wrong in thinking this and hopefully someone else can confirm or deny it. I'm under the impression that it's general practice to attempt a vaginal birth the first time you have a baby. However, if you end up having a c-section, it is recommended that all your other births after that will be a scheduled c-section because there's an increased risk of hemmoraging.

I don't have any children, but my sister has had two c-sections. After watching her recover from a c-section, I'd chose to have a baby naturally if I can. There's no point in getting cut open and dealing with painful recovery if you don't have to.

Nowadays having 1 C-section does not mean they all have to be. I very much plan on having a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean) with my next baby. Although there is more risk associated with that, so you may have to search for a doctor who will do one, or you can go with a midwife (almost all of whom are willing to do so).

From my understanding a lot of insurance companies won't cover a VBAC due to the risk of complications.

My total expense with a midwife for all my prenatal care and the delivery was only $3000...I wouldnt let insurance influence the decision to have a VBAC.

I wasn't thinking of with a midwife. I was thinking more along the lines of a VBAC in a hospital.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Can I also throw in that my mother is 5'2" and 120 lbs when she got pregnant with me. I was born at 10 lbs 4 oz. My mother also has very slender hips. So its a little hard to believe the line about how some women couldn't have a child naturally. God made our bodies the way they are for a certain reason. That's why our hips widen during pregnancy.

I think some c-sections are necessary. But not all. If there is no health risk to be foreseen there is no reason to "schedule" a delivery. Just makes it more convenient for some mothers (I do know mothers that want to schedule their delivery the day they find out they are pregnant) and doctors/hospitals.
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I am in the UK and planned and was supported to have a homebirth with my first child. As things transpired, my waters were green when they broke at home so the hospital told me I had to go in as it was a sign of potential distress. I went in very grumbly - my son's heart rate failed and I had a crash c-section (under general anaesthetic) as it was the quickest way to get him out. Let me tell you, someone pushing down on your throat, hard, to prevent you from drowning on your own vomit is not a fun final thing to remember before your first child is born. I came to and didn't even know if I had a boy or girl.

Fast forward to baby number 2 and I didn't learn, thought it was bad luck, would go with nature blah blah - son number 2 ended up in NICU for 3 weeks, not discharged from hospital until he was 6 weeks. I couldn't even touch him until he was 10 days because of the risk of infection

Baby number 3 I finally learnt my lesson and had a scheduled c-section a week early.

I know I am the minority, but my issue with homebirths is they do not always adequately equip you to look for warning signs so you blithely carry on. Mine is not the only experience I know of in this vein.