Fitbit..

Options
Is it a waste of time trying to keep my fitbit synced to mfp? I've actually only synced it without any issues for about 3 days. The other days I've spent hours disconnecting and reconnecting umpteen times until it finally syncs.

Just starting to think it might be better just to enter my steps manually at the end of every day?

Replies

• emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Mine stays synced most of the time and I only occasionally have issues. Sometimes the steps won’t actually amount to a calorie increase until after I’ve exceeded the amount of steps that match my activity level. Is this a new device for you?
  • HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Syncing steps is an issue daily 'without' a fitbit....it isn't you
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    sharonlep wrote: »
    Is it a waste of time trying to keep my fitbit synced to mfp? I've actually only synced it without any issues for about 3 days. The other days I've spent hours disconnecting and reconnecting umpteen times until it finally syncs.

Just starting to think it might be better just to enter my steps manually at the end of every day?

Just for clarity because there are 2 different ways you could be referring to, and your terms aren't really saying one over the other.

Did you actually go through the MFP Apps section - select Fitbit, and sync your accounts? (food meals show on Fitbit?)
    And then on the MFP app either selecting or it was already selected under Settings - Step Source - Fitbit?

Or did you only go into the Step Source setting and select Fitbit?

Because strictly speaking the latter option is asking MFP app to only get number of steps from the Fitbit app (the device doesn't sync directly to MFP in either case).
    MFP does some calculations with those steps and makes other adjustments.

But if you speaking of the former option, it's the accounts that talk to each other, each app talks to it's own account.
    And if your Fitbit app is having trouble getting stats to the account server, it has nothing to send to the MFP account, to then display on your MFP app.

Also, in the former option, steps only comes across when the calorie count goes up 100 higher than prior sync - so every view of your device steps is not going to show in the MFP app.
  • sharonlep
    sharonlep Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've only synced the steps. I didn't actually realise that we could sync so the fitbit registered good etc.
    If I'm having so much problems trying to sync the steps then I take it trying to fully sync the accounts wouldn't work either then?
  • sharonlep
    sharonlep Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've just double checked this and it looks like some of my food is synced to my fitbit do I guess I've correctly synced the accounts and not just steps.
    Just wondering now if it's maybe best just to log my food directly into my fitbit and not have to worry about syncing them!
    Very frustrated because I've just newly discovered how great mfp is but don't see the point in logging twice or manually everytime.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    sharonlep wrote: »
    I've just double checked this and it looks like some of my food is synced to my fitbit do I guess I've correctly synced the accounts and not just steps.
    Just wondering now if it's maybe best just to log my food directly into my fitbit and not have to worry about syncing them!
    Very frustrated because I've just newly discovered how great mfp is but don't see the point in logging twice or manually everytime.

If your food from MFP is showing up on your Fitbit dashboard you are synced. MFP will only show the steps that are currently shown on your Fitbit dashboard. If you’ve gone for a walk since then, you need to sync the device to your Fitbit dashboard for MFP to see them. Not all steps amount to a calorie adjustment on MFP. It will only adjust your calories based on the difference in activity Fitbit shows over your MFP activity. I usually sync my device to the Fitbit dashboard a few times per day (especially after I go for a walk or run).