calories in/out, "starvation mode" question

Options
Hi there folks. I hope I can phrase this question in an understandable way. Here is a bit of background.

I started logging my food and exercise here on July 1st. I was 275 and am 5'8". I started at the MFP recommended 1300 calories for a 2lb per week loss. I had selected sedentary as my normal activity level. I was also exercising. I did not eat back my exercise calories. After a couple of weeks I started Turbo Fire and about three weeks ago I did start eating back some of my exercise calories which put me up to 1550ish calories on most days. I almost always was making sure my exercise (based on HRM) was getting me an extra 500 cal a day burn. In the last three weeks I've only lost 1/2 pound. However I have lost 15 lbs overall so over I'm pretty close to averaging 2lb per week but just most of it happened in the first month. My diary is open if anyone wants to look. I have been absolutely anal about weighing and measuring my food with the exception of yesterday where I went out to lunch with a friend.

So a few days ago I got a Bodymedia Fit. It is showing that I burn 3500-3600 calories a day. These were typical days for me, not days of above average activity. At first I thought whoa! no way! But then I thought that if I had my MFP activity level set to "lightly active" rather than "sedentary" and ate back all of my exercise calories instead of some of them, it would not be the huge difference that it at first appeared. I thought myself sedentary since I just sit around a lot at the computer most days, but I guess I do get up like every 10 minutes and walk around, I just can't sit still very long without fidgeting. I've gotten up twice already just writing this lol.

Anyway, if this device is accurate, I have often been having almost double the calorie deficits on many days as compared to what I am supposed to be shooting for. However I have also read that if you have a lot to lose, as I do, it isn't that big a deal. Certainly my weight loss numbers though, have not reflected these large deficits, particularly in the last three weeks. I am not worried about it as I believe that three weeks is not really long enough to gauge anything by, with differences in hydration level, etc, I could get on the scale tomorrow morning and have a whoosh and be down 4 more lbs, however I have a question which is:

If one's body was perceiving too big a deficit in calories for it's liking and started trying to hang onto them (i.e. "starvation mode"),
would this not be reflected in a Body Media Fit type device as a lower calorie burn? In other words, there is no way that the body can "try to hang on to weight" other than my lowering my bodies calorie expenditure, which would be reflected by lower burn on the BMF? If the BMF is accurate I should have lost much more weight based on simple cal in/cal out unless there is some other way that my body can "hang onto weight cause it thinks there's a famine" other than by reducing my calorie burns. Not that I'm complaining, I'm pretty happy with my loss so far, and don't want to lose faster than 2 per week, but by nature I'm a data freak and just want to understand.

I'm going to be upping my calories quite a bit and try to maintain a 1000 deficit per the BMF for a couple of months and see how the numbers add up. This is kind of scary as it will mean eating 2000 calories or more on days that I have longer workouts. But I am very curious to see what happens.

thanks for any input, sorry for the long post!

ssdivot

Replies

• shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I eagerly await educated responses to this!
  • myurav
    myurav Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    it sounds like you're doing the right thing - upping your calories lets your body know that there's no famine, so there's no need to hang on to fat. i just upped my calories about 2 weeks ago (averaging around 2000 cals/day) after being on a plateau, and i've already seen the scale shift (in the right direction). btw, i'm 5'7" and 165, so if i'm losing on 2000 cals+, i'm sure you will too.

if you want some good advice about eating enough calories, fat2fitradio.com is an excellent resource.

good luck!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a myth, especially for someone that is classified as obese.

Please read Good calories, Bad Calories and Why We Get Fat - both by Gary Taubes. He does a splendid job of explaining by it is not as simple as calories in, calories out and starvation mode being a myth.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Well, first you have to accept that weight loss is not linear. There are a million different factors that will affect your weight on any given day, and over time. So while 3500 cals = 1 lb, that's theory. The reality is that for some people, metabolism, macros, and a ton of other things can change exactly how many cals it takes to lose 1 lb. And usually, that 1 lb won't be all fat - it will be a certain amount of lean mass as well (less lean mass usually for those who have large fat stores.)

So, keeping that in mind, if you have a lot to lose (over about 35% body fat), you generally won't experience starvation mode. You WILL see a slight decrease in RMR as you lose weight, but that is because as your weight decreases, it takes less energy to move your body around; it's not the same as starvation mode where the body "purposely" decreases metabolism to deal with inadequate energy intake.

So, you probably (probably...not certainly) don't have any decrease in RMR due to eating too little. Those with large amounts to lose can withstand a far higher deficit. You may have a slightly decreased RMR at this point from weight loss in general, and slightly decreased lean mass.

But, it's not out of the question. You will basically just need to chart your expenditure and intake with the BMF over several weeks to see what the trends are.

Does that help?

ETA These may help too:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/230930-starvation-mode-how-it-works

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/222019-60-lbs-in-60-days?hl=60+lbs
  • ssdivot
    ssdivot Posts: 193
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. I'm going to up my calories some and track over a longer period of time and see what happens. Those links were great Ladyhawk, thank you. Thanks myurav for the Fat2Fit link, that looks awesome and I'm going to subscribe to the podcast!

Grokette, thanks for your input. The one time in my life that I lost a great deal of weight I did do it on a low carb diet, however it was also low calorie and low fat and a hours of exercise a day. It worked and fast. But I did not enjoy it at all, I just don't enjoy meat that much and could not have most of the types of food that I enjoy. I'm really happy with the way I'm eating now although I am gradually trying to get more of my calories from protein and fat and less from carbs. I feel that for me, this is a more sustainable lifestyle change, and am going to keep going unless it just stops working. I do believe the lower carbs and higher fat approach works better for some people though, and have ordered the first book you recommended and its sitting on my Kindle now, so that I can read other approaches. Thanks!
  • Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    I recently have had a 3 week plateau where I stayed the same. I too recently got a body media fit and found my calorie deficit with my exercise is over 2000 calories. I'm on my feet 10 hour shifts at work. I'd been steadily losing for 7 months. I believe the large deficit had finally caught up to me. So I'm slowly going to up my calories and see where I go. From what I read a 1000 calorie deficit is the high end of what is healthy. So I had been eating 1200 calories, this week I'm upping it to 1400. Possibly next week a little higher, until I find what work for me.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/why-do-obese-people-not-lose-more-weight-when-treated-with-low-calorie-diets-research-review.html