Carbs, Fat, Protein

Options
I’m trying to figure out how much of each you need each day. For losing weight 100 lbs + need lost. What is the best way to calculate these. Thx

Replies

• crowleyed72
    crowleyed72 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Thx, I’ll do that just heard to much protein gain weight not enough of the right carbs no energy. My plate.gov says 2400 a day, my fitness pal says 2100, another 1800.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Thx, I’ll do that just heard to much protein gain weight not enough of the right carbs no energy. My plate.gov says 2400 a day, my fitness pal says 2100, another 1800.

You should start with the 2100 and then adjust your calories if needed after 3 or 4 weeks. Instead of worrying about macros I strongly suggest you concentrate on logging all your food correctly. I recommend getting a food scale and weighing all solid foods to improve accuracy.

Read this:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

MFP gives you the intake before exercise and based on your weekly weight loss goal. if you want it to be closer change from a 2lb loss to 1.5... also keep in mind MFP's calorie goal assumes no exercise.

excess protein will not be stored as fat. your body will not gain fat if you are in a deficit regardless which if any macro you are over on. and in a deficit, while losing protein is essential so you don't lose the muscle you already have.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,004 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

Myfitnesspal uses generally accepted guidelines for a healthy macro split.

My best suggestion is this: Keep It Simple.

I started with logging food, then I added in a little exercise, then many months later I started focusing on macros.

Staying within calories is what matters most for weight loss. Protein and fats are minimum goals to hit or exceed. In a calorie deficit, carbs naturally get cut a bit.
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You have to figure out what works best for you. I feel better eating high carb low fat so my macros reflect that and my fat macro is the max, not the minimum.
    It took me some time experimenting to figure out what my body likes.