Girls Only but if you want to answer that's fine too

Options
Um...so I haven't worked out in...i think 2 days because my thighs were hurting badly. And I was going to work out tonight, but my menstrual cycle started. So how do you still work out when the menstrual cycle starts with all the cramping and stuff?

Replies

• TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Depends, sometimes I re-arrange my work out days if it's super bad, go for a walk instead of the gym for example. I usually skip ab work completely when I have cramps.

I'm pretty lucky though, my cramps are manageable with normal pain meds.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    It really depends. Mild cramps I just take something for the pain. However I also can get cramps that are bad enough for me to faint and hormonal migraines when not on BC in which case workouts are the last thing on my mind.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I swim because it keeps me reasonably cool (I overheat easy when I'm on) and low impact on those bits which are not in the mood.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I get weak the first couple days of my period, so I take a break from my usual workout to prevent injury. Just walking and gentle yoga for me.
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I continue my same workout routine. If cramps are especially bad, I may take ibuprofen or something for it. If I'm not feeling 100%, I may also do a lighter intensity. But I don't skip a workout because of my period.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I usually just take off the first two days if it's a week day. TMI here, but I use a menstrual cup, which is GREAT, except when I already have limited time in the morning before work and I have to take several minutes to deal with that business before I can even get dressed, and sometimes there's a mess if I've slept longer than 6 hours, etc. I only cramp the first maybe 6 hours so that's not really an issue I face with regard to workouts. I just plan to take those two days off every month. If I really want to work out, I will, I just go by how I feel.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Exercise usually helps with my cramps so I try to force myself to at least walk.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Exercise has always helped with the cramps. It's tough to get started, but once I do I feel better and continue to feel better for the rest of the day.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    If they are mild cramps, I take ibuprofen and push through. In general I find that cramps can inhibit my weight lifting but I'm ok doing cardio. If they are the cramps that have me doubled over moaning in pain and sweating, exercise is the last thing I could care about.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Cramps aren't much of an issue for me. I would take ibuprofen and exercise, which are included in the suggestions from the Mayo Clinic: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/menstrual-cramps/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20374944

I do, however, have very heavy bleeding and between the blood loss and being woken up a few times at night I just take it easy on my two heavy days and until I feel that I have bounced back.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I am thankful I don't have this issue any more, but when I did, I took it easy for a couple of days, not only because I felt like crap but because I didn't want to deal with over-flow issues while out and unable to deal with it.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i crawl up with a blanket and warm fluids and pain killers and sit on the couch for a day or 2 eating at maintenance
  • etherealanwar
    etherealanwar Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I usually have very light periods with minimal cramping ever since I got an IUD. If it were more uncomfortable than usual I'd take a Midol and still continue doing my work outs.
  • corysmithsmail
    corysmithsmail Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Um...so I haven't worked out in...i think 2 days because my thighs were hurting badly. And I was going to work out tonight, but my menstrual cycle started. So how do you still work out when the menstrual cycle starts with all the cramping and stuff?

I'm on my cycle as I type this. I have EXTREMELY heavy periods. I work out 4x/week period or not. I just change the focus. They say movement helps with cramps. I don't have cramps per se, I just feel gross and don't like moving when I'm on my cycle.

I just change my focus for the workout that week. Like I definitely won't do squats, I just do more upper body exercises and then walking/stair master. And I run to the bathroom like a million times which is beyond annoying.