Back On Board!

Options
Hey everyone, I was doing great on this in 2014, then had a bit of a tragedy with my dad, who passed away with cancer. It caused a huge depression relapse, not to mention the amount of time I had to deal with his illness that year. Anyway...though I did put some weight back on, I am now in a position to get back on board and set sail toward my fitness goals! I'm down 7 lbs so far, so thats good, but have a way to go yet. Just saying "Hello" and hope everyone is doing great! :)

Replies

• jezlightyear
    jezlightyear Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your loss - I lost my brother 6 years ago which massively stunted my progress and my motivation to boot.. in fact I was at my target weight when he passed and so I've steadily gained a lot of weight!
    Here to help in any way I can :)
    We got this!
  • theskipper54
    theskipper54 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about your loss - I lost my brother 6 years ago which massively stunted my progress and my motivation to boot.. in fact I was at my target weight when he passed and so I've steadily gained a lot of weight!
    Here to help in any way I can :)
    We got this!

Thank you SO much for saying that! My Dad and I were very close...5 years and I still miss him greatly.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I was doing great on this in 2014, then had a bit of a tragedy with my dad, who passed away with cancer. It caused a huge depression relapse, not to mention the amount of time I had to deal with his illness that year. Anyway...though I did put some weight back on, I am now in a position to get back on board and set sail toward my fitness goals! I'm down 7 lbs so far, so thats good, but have a way to go yet. Just saying "Hello" and hope everyone is doing great! :)

I can totally relate to this, unfortunately. My mom's illness was very long term, slowly killing her. The stress is comprehensible unless you've actually went through it, as well as being their caretaker. Not only did I eat horribly, a lot of times because it's what was quick and easy, but I also took up smoking after having quit for over 5 years.

My Ma passed in 2017 and surprisingly it was her death that lead me back to a healthier lifestyle. I was shattered! I didn't know how to process her death and so I started running. I chose running versus sitting on someone's couch, which I often think I probably still need to do. Running was such an outlet for me - it became my therapy. I ran because I knew how much she loved hearing about that stuff in my younger years. She lived vicariously through my sister and I. I was always into fitness when I was younger and she loved hearing me talk about it, probably because she couldn't do it. So I ran knowing how happy it would make her. I ran because she couldn't. I ran because I needed it to survive not having her here anymore.

2 years later and I'm still running because I never know when those days will come that I can't handle this new normal.
  • aimfree1519
    aimfree1519 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have started and stopped so many times in the past year and a half. My mother was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer last May. Almost a year to the day. And it's been a struggle. I have 3 young children, I work full time and I have also become her caregiver, support, advisor, advocate and shoulder to cry on. To try and focus on weight loss on top of everything, has been a real struggle. So I completely understand where you are coming from, and offer you nothing but support and encouragement.
    I do like to workout. Not intense workout. But I like to push myself and feel strong. I have found it's easier to focus on fitness than food. I have had some success in the past losing weight, eating pretty much what I want but working out every day.
    I really love the community here. The support. Thanks for sharing your story.